Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Sep 2013 (Monday) 12:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Contemplating a switch from Canon to Leica...

sacral
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 02, 2013 18:39 |  #31

This is all great stuff, I'm glad Airfrog got in on this. :-)

Could you guys maybe post some Leica pics (if mods allow?) I might just be buying into the Leica name or fab or whatever, but (in my head) there really is something ethereal about the shots that come out of the Leica system and associated M lenses. And it really would be nice to have something more discreet and easier to pack/carry than the 5Dmk2.

5D classic | 5DmkII | Lenses | Flashes | Blood/sweat/tears
Positive Feedback: #1 |#2 |#3

sponsored links
watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 02, 2013 18:47 |  #32

sacral wrote in post #16262352 (external link)

Could you guys maybe post some Leica pics (if mods allow?) I might just be buying into the Leica name or fab or whatever, but (in my head) there really is something ethereal about the shots that come out of the Leica system and associated M lenses. And it really would be nice to have something more discreet and easier to pack/carry than the 5Dmk2.

all you got to do is look at the archive section

or a site like Flickr

here ya go, a few hundred thou of those "ethereal" pics!

http://www.flickr.com …2&ct=0&mt=all&w​=all&adv=1 (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,856 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2013 18:50 |  #33

sacral wrote in post #16262352 (external link)

Have a look around at some of my stuff. It's so much different from a 5DII or even a 5DIII. It's just a much different shooting experience.

Heres the Leica Lovers Anonymous thread. I have a few images over there.
https://photography-on-the.net …ad.php?t=104520​5&page=105

Most folks on a Canon forum aren't going to give Leica a lot of love. Most don't get the less is more thinking.

vaflower
855 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 02, 2013 18:58 |  #34

Size aside, I doubt that a Leica m9 +Lux 50 1.4 can do better for me than my 6d +50 1.2.
For me, the most bothersome thing about Leica camera is the fragility of the rangefinder mechanism. It is difficult to find a second hand one whose rangefinder works perfectly well without sending it to Germany. And that's money and time consuming. I owned a M6 before; while the exterior is impressive, the viewfinder is tiny when compared to a full frame camera, feel like I look through a Rebel viewfinder. Don't feel inspiring at all given my short sting with Leica.

Albeit, the lenses are impressive. I like Zeiss lenses a lot for the prices and optics, but guess what they don't work accurately for Leica M digital body at all. If you are shooting at f/11 and set up DOF to infinity for street shooting, then that's probably fine.

Fuji XE-1, Zeiss ikon, Hasselblad; I love shooting film as a conceptual idea :)

airfrogusmc
36,856 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2013 19:10 |  #35

vaflower wrote in post #16262412 (external link)
Size aside, I doubt that a Leica m9 +Lux 50 1.4 can do better for me than my 6d +50 1.2.

It's much easier to do street work with one and New Jersey can handle most things.

There are Voigtlander and Zeiss for lens options plus almost every lens that Leica has ever made. I went with Leica for Leica glass. My 35 summilux is sharper at the corners than my 35L is in the center.

Rangefinders aren't for everyone and Leica is not a one size fits all camera. And thats a good thing.

Midlife ­ Crisis
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 02, 2013 19:28 |  #36

What do you think about the M3 shutter when it "clicks" airfrogusmc? It's the quietest of just about all cameras.

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS
Leica M3 :p

airfrogusmc
36,856 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2013 19:30 |  #37

Midlife Crisis wrote in post #16262476 (external link)
What do you think about the M3 shutter when it "clicks" airfrogusmc? It's the quietest of just about all cameras.

What click :lol::lol: I wish my MM was that quite. The new M is suppose to be real quite. My MM is a lot more quite than my 5DII's.

The M3 is one sweet camera.

I have a real good friend that has a new M on order (theres like a years wait) but as soon as he gets his I will find out first hand if it's as quite as reported.

sjones
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 02, 2013 19:40 |  #38

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16261960 (external link)
Why not shoot a Holga then? Don't expect anyone to seriously dick around with film, it's not practical anymore; this dinosaur has gone to pasture.

Speak for yourself with this. Just bringing up Leica is contentious enough; other places to bring up film versus digital.

July 2019-July 2020 (external link)
Today's Lesson: A rangefinder is not a DSLR and vice versa.

airfrogusmc
36,856 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2013 19:53 |  #39

sjones wrote in post #16262495 (external link)
Speak for yourself with this. Just bringing up Leica is contentious enough; other places to bring up film versus digital.

:lol::lol: Ain't that the truth.

To further the flames
Let it fully load. Really worth a watch
http://vimeo.com/66352​973 (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 02, 2013 20:05 |  #40

sacral wrote in post #16261378 (external link)
I'm slowing down my "business," and want to pursue other photographic endeavors, namely documenting family things, memories with my wife, etc. I find that toting around a 5DmkII, even with a little 50/1.4 is still too cumbersome. Street and candid photography in the PJ style is looking more and more appealing to me as well.

Granted, I've never held a Leica M or anything of the sort, but the image quality from something like the Summilux lenses seems to be outstanding and unmatched, though the prices are outlandish.

Specifically, portability, discretion, and being unobtrusive and unintimidating with a camera is the name of the game here.

Has anyone ever given any thought to a system changeup like this?? I can get so much camera for the money with the Nikon and Canon systems, but the quality of the Leica lenses along with the portability and non-assuming nature of the camera itself make that system seem more appealing. Granted, the learning curve will be steep...I've shot with a rangefinder ONCE in my entire life...

Shooting a Leica is shooting a rangefinder, and shooting a rangefinder offers a different experience from shooting a DSLR. This is the biggest consideration. Yes, Leica lenses are, for the most part, technically superior to what Canon or Nikon have to offer, but what Canon, Nikon, and the like offer is still excellent (but then again, I generally believe that most lenses made in the past 60 years are good enough if not superb, so I'm not the one to ask).

Also, at least to start off with, you can get some great M-mount lenses from Zeiss and Voigtlander that won't drain the bank, or an older but still exceptional used Leica lens.

However, as for the cretinous 'celebrities use Leica' arguments, well celebrities also drink water. So if one is not going to use something because a fraction of its users don't appeal to you, then one might not want to use most things that we depend on for life.

Leica is a camera, a remarkably well-built one at that, and it's not the camera's fault who uses it or how they use it. And really, do we need to point out all the lunkheaded suburbanite idiots who lug around a huge DSLR just to show off their big white lenses? So folks, does such 'guilt by association' devalue your DSLR or telephoto L lens?

Again, it's a different system; one that you might prefer or not, so maybe, if possible, you can rent one.

I shoot a iiif and an M2, and if in some hypothetically strange world in which I was forced to shoot a DSLR only, I would probably quit photography altogether. That's obviously me, and no one else, but my point is that you really need to consider the differences of operation and ergonomics involved when using a rangefinder.

July 2019-July 2020 (external link)
Today's Lesson: A rangefinder is not a DSLR and vice versa.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 02, 2013 20:08 |  #41

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16262223 (external link)
Yeah good stuff has and always will be pricey. Have ya priced Hasselblads lately or phase one digital backs? Do ya know what those are :lol::lol:

I remember when Leica M was more than double the price of the top of the line Canon F-1s and Nikons Fs. Now top of the line Canons and Nikons are about the same.

Yup! :)

Gobeatty
513 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 02, 2013 20:30 |  #42

I chose Canon, in part, because images I was drawn to were so often shot with FF Canon. Leica images are others I am drawn to and I have had the pleasure of shooting an ME. Very different experience and having grown up on real aperture rings and shutter speed dials, I was immediately home. The lenses, with the tab that extends down for focusing, are simply amazing in function and result. I swear I can focus the M as fast as my Canon and never worry about the focus missing, hunting, etc. It just works. I had a Fuji XE-1 for a while, but no comparison the Leica. I could stretch to the cost of Leica...once. If I felt the body would be around and relevant 20 years hence like in the film days, I might do it, but don't realistically expect the body to be useable in five years and I doubt I could replace it. The lenses still seem like a lifetime investment. I've also got 2 boys in sports now, but I was able to more than adequately able to make sports photos I wanted with the Fuji so don't see sports as a deal breaker for the Leica.

Just got a 50 1.4 today for my 6D, so feeling a bit more connection with my new Canon kit to the film kit I used for decades. Still, Canon is new for me and fresh. If I shot professionally with it for a long time and came to regard the kit as work tools, I would very much want something like a Leica to change my own frame of mind and way of shooting when on travel and with family. And it is just so darn good. Just get one - can't see you regretting it.

6D | 35 f2 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 28 - 135 f3.5 - 5.6 | 70-210 f4

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 02, 2013 22:37 |  #43

Gobeatty wrote in post #16262615 (external link)
I might do it, but don't realistically expect the body to be useable in five years

Really... 5 years?

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 03, 2013 00:07 |  #44

It's simple: If you just want "smaller than a DSLR", look into mirrorless thingies. If you want a Leica, get a Leica.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 03, 2013 02:29 |  #45

sjones wrote in post #16262495 (external link)

You can shoot film, if only for nostalgia's sake or trying something different, but OP wants a camera he can practically use every day in the modern world, I was just shooting down the plane before he got any ideas. To be clear, he's selling all his other gear, and no one can only have a film camera, so that is that. I'm not against film; I am just for this one case.

Leica being contentious? Well, OP brought it up first, being that the thread is called "Contemplating a switch from Canon to Leica", meaning that he already has a good idea of what it is and why he would want one. Are you implying we should tell him what to do with his money and call him off it? I started giving him advice as though he was already set on this idea, not finding more "practical" alternatives, that's none of my business.

It's simple: If you just want "smaller than a DSLR", look into mirrorless thingies. If you want a Leica, get a Leica.

Surprisingly, this is quite to the point... there is no real justifying a camera like this. If you want a good small mirrorless camera, get the x100s, it costs less than a (good) DSLR lens. If you want a Leica, and have the cash for it, then no one's going to judge you... but there is going to be a healthy dose of envy.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

sponsored links

8,023 views & 0 likes for this thread
Contemplating a switch from Canon to Leica...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.