Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 00:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What happened here? Weird camera glitch.

pstyle1
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 03, 2013 00:00 |  #1

Going through and culling photos from a wedding and ran across this one. What happened here? Camera glitch? Memory card? None of the other photos seem to have had this happen. Something to worry about?

Later on in the night, this camera gave an 01 Error saying it can't connect with the lens. I took the lens off and put it back on and it never reoccurred. Has been fine since.

5D Mk III, 24-70 2.8 II, 600EX RT on ETTL.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D MkIII x2 + a lot of L's.
www.facebook.com/Peyma​nRazaviPhotography (external link)

sponsored links
Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,877 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 03, 2013 00:11 |  #2

It's file corruption without a doubt. You'll need to narrow it down to the card or card reader.

mikedeep.com (external link) - I shoot rocket launches and void warranties

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 03, 2013 00:25 |  #3

Hey, troubleshooting is "fun"!

Start out with a new card, new card reader, new USB cable, and if one of those don't "fix" it, a USB port or the camera, it's a step-by-step process! Replace one thing and rigorously test, if it crops up again replace the next thing!

I have had cards go bad, replace the card and no problem, but it could be one of the other things as well!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

pstyle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 03, 2013 00:34 |  #4

Well it hasn't happened again (yet), so hopefully just a one off.

ebann
Once an ugly duckling
3,396 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 03, 2013 07:32 |  #5

pstyle1 wrote in post #16263152 (external link)
Well it hasn't happened again (yet), so hopefully just a one off.

Hope your job doesn't depend on its reliability...

Ellery Bann
Fuji X100
6D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 50 1.4
1D Mk IV | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 135 2L | 400 5.6L

pstyle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 03, 2013 08:14 |  #6

ebann wrote in post #16263682 (external link)

You have opened up me eyes. Thank you. I will now go and purchase new cameras, new memory cards, new cables and new readers. Maybe even a new computer! This is a must since about 0.01% of the files produced by this set up was corrupt.

Shake ­ N ­ Vac
520 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 03, 2013 08:55 |  #7

I have a memory card that has just started doing that to the odd RAW file here and there. I shoot with the camera set to JPG+RAW though so have (so far) always had the JPG of any corrupt RAW files.

Canon 6D / Canon 70-200 IS ii / Sigma 100 Macro f2.8 / 50mm f1.8
www.sm-wedding-photography.co.uk (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 03, 2013 08:59 |  #8

Are you reformatting the card on a regular basis, or just deleting and writing new files?

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,877 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 03, 2013 09:05 |  #9

pstyle1 wrote in post #16263771 (external link)
You have opened up me eyes. Thank you. I will now go and purchase new cameras, new memory cards, new cables and new readers. Maybe even a new computer! This is a must since about 0.01% of the files produced by this set up was corrupt.

This is not a professional approach.

File corruption can signal a failure with the card. If you're like most people these days and shoot with a single, sizable card, this is your warning to avoid catastrophe. It's in your best interest to determine the culprit before you lose an entire shoot.

If the problem image appears fine in camera, it's the reader. If it's messed up in camera, it's the card. The latter could really screw up your day.

There are other potential culprits, but they are far less likely and not worth diagnosing if the card is fine.

mikedeep.com (external link) - I shoot rocket launches and void warranties

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Sep 03, 2013 09:10 |  #10

ebann wrote in post #16263682 (external link)

pstyle1 wrote in post #16263771 (external link)

You're apparently being sarcastic here, but IF your job depends on the equipment performing properly (such as when photographing weddings that cannot be re-done), then you should definitely have backup equipment on the job site in case something fails.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

seanp3
106 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 03, 2013 09:11 as a reply to  @ Mike Deep's post |  #11

The only time I've seen this it was from a bad memory card.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,387 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 03, 2013 09:14 |  #12

Not to mention the fact that even if you could live with a 0.01% dud rate in your shooting, the "glitch" could be a harbinger of worse things to come, like the card becoming unreadable. Maybe you can absorb a 0.01% fail rate, but what if you have 500 photos and then the card becomes unreadable?

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 03, 2013 09:18 |  #13

Pretty sure OP's point was simply that he isn't going to freak out and abandon all his equipment...

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 03, 2013 10:53 |  #14

The only times I've seen a problem like this it's either been connectivity between the card reader and the computer, or it's been a problem with the hard drive in the computer.

Have you changed anything lately? I had similar corrupted files (a lot of them), when I tried connecting a card reader through a USB hub. When I connected it directly to the computer instead, the problem went away.

Another time, it was a brand new hard drive, something went wrong during installation and the problem was resolved by re-formatting the drive. All images stored to it since have been fine. But there were some losses.

I have never had a memory card "go bad", despite some of them being in use for almost ten years now. Maybe I'm just lucky. I have read of ways that cards can deteriorate. But they are solid state (no moving parts), so there isn't a lot to go bad over time and with use. I do format each card in-camera before each use.

I have had one memory card that was bad right from new. The first batch of images shot on it were only partially retrieved, then the card locked up completely and was entirely unusable. It was used quite normally... formatted in camera before use and downloaded in the normal way. No other cards handled exactly the same way before or since have given any problems at all, so it's a pretty sure bet it's a "bad card".

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 03, 2013 12:04 |  #15

pstyle1 wrote in post #16263092 (external link)
Going through and culling photos from a wedding and ran across this one. What happened here? Camera glitch? Memory card? None of the other photos seem to have had this happen. Something to worry about?

Later on in the night, this camera gave an 01 Error saying it can't connect with the lens. I took the lens off and put it back on and it never reoccurred. Has been fine since.

5D Mk III, 24-70 2.8 II, 600EX RT on ETTL.

As others have said, this is a corrupt file.

Where were you reading this from?

If from the hard drive, the file is corrupted on the hard drive.
If from the memory card, the file is corrupted on the memory card, although the corruption may be due to the card reader.
CHIMPing the image on your camera does not mean the file on the memory card is good, since the image preview is a derived image. IOW, you aren't looking at the larger image file directly.

I would recommend that you determine where the file is corrupted, and if it is on your memory card, throw the card away. If it is on your hard drive, make sure you have everything backed up and then run a complete drive check, perhaps even replace the drive. File corruption is many times the "canary in the coal mine" for a general failure impending.

Tom

sponsored links

3,364 views & 0 likes for this thread
What happened here? Weird camera glitch.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.