Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Aug 2013 (Wednesday) 09:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Retirement present. I asked for a 5DIII.

Lone ­ Rider
Goldmember
1,349 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 03, 2013 03:29 |  #76

Congratulations mate....live to ride... :)

Trevor

sponsored links
YashicaFX2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 03, 2013 05:21 |  #77
bannedPermanent ban

james.bond wrote in post #16263267 (external link)
Not to the 95% of married couples that I know that are divorced. Some of them has been divorced 39 years later, most within the first 5 years. A Majour culprit? M-O-N-E-Y.

Boy, I really hate to hijack my own thread, but here goes.

Money has NEVER, EVER, not even ONCE been the reason for a divorce. Marriage is a relationship between two people. Did any of the divorced people you know invite their checking account into the ceremony?

If money (or the lack of it) caused divorce, everyone who has ever gone through hard times would be divorced. Everyone who was married during the depression, the recent downturn and WWII would have gotten divorced.

Divorce happens when two people have different opinions about how to proceed with the relationship. That can be with respect to religion, children, money, in-laws, hobbies, sex or any of about 53,321 other reasons. It is the interpersonal relationship, and the couple's dedication to it, that either keeps a marriage strong, or tears it apart. To blame it on money, or any one of the other thousands of reasons, no excuses, people give is just avoiding one's own responsibility.

Nobody ever got divorced because of money. They got divorced because they could not agree on how to handle their financial situation. Nobody ever got divorced because one spouse cheated. They got divorced because one party could not, or did not want to, cope with the infidelity. Divorce is an extremely personal thing. To blame it on an inanimate object like money makes as much sense as blaming it on the sand at Laguna Beach.

If you go into a marriage thinking that it will only be good for as long as the money lasts, you have created a self-fulfilling prophecy. There is no reason to go through with the ceremony.

Dedicated APS-c shooter. Gripped 60D, 60 2.8, 10-22, 15-85, Σ70-200 OS and a big white something or other! Plus a 5D w/28-75.

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,500 posts
Gallery: 658 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 03, 2013 07:06 |  #78

YashicaFX2 wrote in post #16262240 (external link)
Ok, that makes two posts and I still have no idea what either of them is about. Would you care to explain, or should I just forget it?

Sure. You said in your first post that that you received a new "camera" as a gift from your wife, a 2011 Harley-Davidson Electra-Glide UltraClassic Limited.
In my first comment I commented that I would prefer a digital camera not a film camera. So, I was implying that I would prefer instead a modern japanese bike, not an old technology Harley Davidson bike.

;)

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,170 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined May 2008

Sep 03, 2013 07:06 |  #79

^ Well said, Yashica.

Now, back to us all being jealous of your new retirement. :)

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 03, 2013 07:22 as a reply to  @ Scott M's post |  #80

Ha Ha.

My wife got me this. Gotta love a wife who likes 5D3's and Hondas

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i195.photobucke​t.com …y12/honda_zps8d​04a9c6.jpg (external link)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

gfspencer
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 03, 2013 07:54 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #81

My wife let me get this - (My other camera is a Leica M8. :wink:)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i172.photobucke​t.com …gfspencer/2014C​aymanS.jpg (external link)

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

YashicaFX2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 03, 2013 09:12 |  #82
bannedPermanent ban

umphotography wrote in post #16263665 (external link)
Ha Ha.

My wife got me this. Gotta love a wife who likes 5D3's and Hondas

QUOTED IMAGE

Nice. My last bike was Valkyrie Interstate. If I were buying that's what I would have gotten. My wife is a H-D fan. I don't mind, although I think the H-D handles better at parking lot speeds.

Dedicated APS-c shooter. Gripped 60D, 60 2.8, 10-22, 15-85, Σ70-200 OS and a big white something or other! Plus a 5D w/28-75.

YashicaFX2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 03, 2013 09:22 |  #83
bannedPermanent ban

Azathoth wrote in post #16263644 (external link)
Sure. You said in your first post that that you received a new "camera" as a gift from your wife, a 2011 Harley-Davidson Electra-Glide UltraClassic Limited.
In my first comment I commented that I would prefer a digital camera not a film camera. So, I was implying that I would prefer instead a modern japanese bike, not an old technology Harley Davidson bike.

;)

I am supposing this means you want me to just forget it. It still makes no sense to me. I asked for a 5DIII. My wife bought what she wanted me to have. It was a gift, from her. By the way, she got it because she knew I would never have bought it for myself. I can pick up whatever camera I want at my own discretion. It was a truly heartfelt action on her part, and deeply appreciated on my part.

Your comments about H-D are simply ill-informed. Just like your insinuation about film cameras. In case you are wondering, cutting edge motorcycle technology belongs to Victory, an American company. Although I am sure many Japanese motorcylces are fine examples of technology, also.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 03, 2013 09:27 |  #84

YashicaFX2 wrote in post #16263893 (external link)
Nice. My last bike was Valkyrie Interstate. If I were buying that's what I would have gotten. My wife is a H-D fan. I don't mind, although I think the H-D handles better at parking lot speeds.

Thanks
I had a Harley. They are OK. I plan on taking long cross country rides over the next few years and only want to use one vehicle to do it. With a Harley,you need to have a Pick up truck follow you for when it breaks down:lol::eek::p

I've ridden a bunch of bikes and raced motocross. Always loved the reliability of Honda. They just don't break. These Goldwings will go 200K with ease. Love mine. Only problem is it wants to cruise at 90MPH:lol:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 03, 2013 11:03 |  #85

YashicaFX2 wrote in post #16263912 (external link)
I am supposing this means you want me to just forget it. It still makes no sense to me. I asked for a 5DIII. My wife bought what she wanted me to have.

hey, it's great your wife loves Harleys !

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 03, 2013 11:15 |  #86

umphotography wrote in post #16263922 (external link)
I've ridden a bunch of bikes and raced motocross. Always loved the reliability of Honda. They just don't break. These Goldwings will go 200K with ease. Love mine. Only problem is it wants to cruise at 90MPH:lol:

A Goldwing is more like a small convertible roadster than a motorcycle. Might as well get a Mazda Miata! :)

Goldwing weighs 1000lbs!

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

YashicaFX2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 03, 2013 11:30 |  #87
bannedPermanent ban

I've owned a Valkryie Interstate (GW w/fork-mounted fairing) and now have the Ultra-Classic Limited. I see advantages to each bike.

Honda Wins:
Just like the Energizer Bunny - it keeps on working.
A lot less motor noise.
Better clutch mechanism.
Overall cost of ownership.
Smooth running, as in almost no vibration, even at idle.

Harley-Davidson wins:
THE COOL FACTOR!
It is noisy, but it sounds good doing it.
Hands-down better looking bike. As my wife says: Honda == GeezerMobile. Just buy a Lincoln.
Gas mileage. Honda 35 on a good day. Harley (with a bigger motor) 44. Both mostly highway.
THE COOL FACTOR!
The really big Harley advantage, to me anyway, is low-speed maneuverability. At parking lot speeds, the Harley is a dream to ride. I found the Honda a struggle a that speed, even after riding the same bike for six years. If I had more than 2 stops to make in town, I left the Honda at home. The Harley is like riding a bicycle, and I've only had it 7 days.
Six speed transmission.
And did I mention, THE COOL FACTOR!

KHAWACHEN
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 03, 2013 16:00 |  #88

Lets exchange, i can get the 5D3 +24-70 II for you. :cool::cool::cool:

YashicaFX2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 03, 2013 16:27 |  #89
bannedPermanent ban

KHAWACHEN wrote in post #16265048 (external link)
Lets exchange, i can get the 5D3 +24-70 II for you. :cool::cool::cool:

Tempting. Throw in a 1DX, 16-35 II, 70-200 2.8 II and a 400 2.8 II and we can start talking. You'll have to take my wife, too. She would kill me if I traded this bike for A POT OF GOLD. She really likes to ride on Harleys. Got any idea why that might be? It ain't to show me off, that's for sure!

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,500 posts
Gallery: 658 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 03, 2013 18:10 |  #90

YashicaFX2 wrote in post #16263912 (external link)
I am supposing this means you want me to just forget it. It still makes no sense to me. I asked for a 5DIII. My wife bought what she wanted me to have. It was a gift, from her. By the way, she got it because she knew I would never have bought it for myself. I can pick up whatever camera I want at my own discretion. It was a truly heartfelt action on her part, and deeply appreciated on my part.

Your comments about H-D are simply ill-informed. Just like your insinuation about film cameras. In case you are wondering, cutting edge motorcycle technology belongs to Victory, an American company. Although I am sure many Japanese motorcylces are fine examples of technology, also.

YashicaFX2,you are truly blessed for receiving that gift from your wife. I wish someone would offer something like that!

But in my opinion (and of many), Harley Davidson, is a brand that is still living in the past. Nothing wrong there, it's a way to sell. But they don't risks, they keep doing the same thing over and over.

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

8,504 views & 0 likes for this thread
Retirement present. I asked for a 5DIII.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.