Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 00:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What happened here? Weird camera glitch.

Toneaero
225 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 03, 2013 12:08 |  #16

I had a similar issue with my last shoot. The very first photo had that digitized mess near the side of the photo. I haven't had a chance to pin point the culprit yet but I will start with the card reader since it looks fine in camera. Or it could be that the JPEG previews recorded fine from camera but the RAW file didnt..... need more investigating....

sponsored links
Toneaero
225 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 03, 2013 12:11 |  #17

RTPVid wrote in post #16264343 (external link)
File corruption is many times the "canary in the coal mine" for a general failure impending.

I couldn't agree more on this. I'm going through that situation right now regarding my hard drive that houses my OS. I ignored the early warnings of bad sectors. I did a few chkdsk c: /f and finally after a week or so, the entire hard drive went to crap.

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 03, 2013 12:34 |  #18

pstyle1 wrote in post #16263771 (external link)
You have opened up me eyes. Thank you. I will now go and purchase new cameras, new memory cards, new cables and new readers. Maybe even a new computer! This is a must since about 0.01% of the files produced by this set up was corrupt.

a much better plan of attack than the shrugging of the shoulders and doing nothing about it...

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

PKIDelirium
35 posts
Joined May 2013

Sep 03, 2013 13:17 |  #19

I'm willing to bet its the card. On my first outing with a new 256mb PNY CF card back in the 3.2MP days with a Pentax Optio, I had several photos get screwed up in a similar fashion. Exchanged the card and had no more problems.

60D, Kiss Digital N/350D, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 50 1.8 II, Tamron 10-24, 75-300 III
Film: AE-1 with FD 50 1.8 S.C. and FD 135 3.5. EOS Rebel T2/300X with 28-90 III
[URL="http://flickr.co​m/donaldflint"][URL="h​ttp://flickr.com/donal​dflint"]Flickr

pstyle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 03, 2013 17:31 |  #20

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. I shoot RAW to 2 cards in each camera, so even if one card screws up, I'll have a back-up. I formatted all the cards before I saw this (I back-up to two hard drives) and I can't remember what card was in which camera.

For now, I'll keep an eye out to see if it reoccurs.

5D MkIII x2 + a lot of L's.
www.facebook.com/Peyma​nRazaviPhotography (external link)

wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 03, 2013 18:07 |  #21

I had this happen a few times, turned out to be the built in card reader on my computer. Went to Staples and bought a multi-media card reader and it fixed the issue. I have a newer computer now and it's built in card reader seems to work fine but now my process is to copy the images off the card, check the images and then put the card in the camera to reformat it. If there were to be an issue in reviewing the images, the copies are still on the card so I can put it in the accessory card reader and transfer them that way.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 04, 2013 03:29 |  #22

pstyle1 wrote in post #16263771 (external link)
You have opened up me eyes. Thank you. I will now go and purchase new cameras, new memory cards, new cables and new readers. Maybe even a new computer! This is a must since about 0.01% of the files produced by this set up was corrupt.

If the brakes on your car failed - just once, and just for a moment - would you...

1. Buy a new car?
  2. Get a mechanic to check the brake system's individual parts?
  3. Shrug your shoulders and say 'Hey it only happens 0.01% of the time'?

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

pstyle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 04, 2013 17:36 |  #23

hollis_f wrote in post #16266623 (external link)
If the brakes on your car failed - just once, and just for a moment - would you...

1. Buy a new car?
  2. Get a mechanic to check the brake system's individual parts?
  3. Shrug your shoulders and say 'Hey it only happens 0.01% of the time'?

Is that a fair analogy?

Either way, thanks for the helpful suggestions. I now know what to look out for.

5D MkIII x2 + a lot of L's.
www.facebook.com/Peyma​nRazaviPhotography (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 04, 2013 20:15 |  #24

pstyle1 wrote in post #16265289 (external link)
Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. I shoot RAW to 2 cards in each camera, so even if one card screws up, I'll have a back-up. I formatted all the cards before I saw this (I back-up to two hard drives) and I can't remember what card was in which camera.

For now, I'll keep an eye out to see if it reoccurs.

From what I understand, it is best to reformat the card in-camera frequently. For many of us, this is how we delete the images. We just copy them off the card to the hard drive, verify that everything is present and accounted for, back those up if they are critical images, then reformat the card.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 05, 2013 06:23 |  #25

I've had exactly the same problems when one of the memory sticks in my computer failed. Corrupted pictures/files here and there, without rhyme or reason. It took me a week or so to finally play the 'swap sticks of RAM/replace sticks of RAM' to remedy the problem. It wasn't the camera or the memory cards.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 05, 2013 07:21 |  #26

pstyle1 wrote in post #16268373 (external link)
Is that a fair analogy?

Either way, thanks for the helpful suggestions. I now know what to look out for.

One thing you know about both... the cause was a hardware failure. The other thing you know is that hardware is not self-healing (well, outside of Borg hardware, that is...).

You don't know (in your situation) specifically what hardware failed, but the usual suspects are either the hard drive or the memory card. And, it is my experience with hard drives, that random file corruption is nearly always an early warning for a more catastrophic drive failure. I'm not so sure about a flash card failure modes.

Of course, it could have been a bad connection or it could have been some other failure, but flash cards are inexpensive enough that I just would not trust it anymore and I would replace it.

It is unlikely to have been a random alignment of the stars or some other semi-mysterious event. It was a real failure with a real cause.

You have some protection since you use a dual card setup, but if one of your cards has exhibited failure in the past, it seems to me you have increased the chances of suffering a double failure. How risk averse you are is only for you to decide.

Tom

sponsored links

3,891 views & 0 likes for this thread
What happened here? Weird camera glitch.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.