Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 09:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best support for Wescott 7' parabolic umbrella

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 03, 2013 09:58 |  #1

Good morning fellow studio photographers,

I have a perplexing problem that all of my research on the web has been unable to solve:

How to best mount a Westcott 7' PCB PLM onto an Elinchrom 600RX - the shaft of the umbrella doesn't fit through the 7mm centred tube of the strobe, which is obvious because of their proprietary system.

When mounting the strobe onto a umbrella flash adapter with the 7' Westcott attached the strobe sits quite high and thus the light becomes quite out of focus.

I'm ready to throw in the towel, sell this, and pony up for a Rime Lite Grand Softbox instead. If anybody has any other workarounds that they can think of before I blow 500 bucks then please speak now or forever hold your peace.

(and yes, I've tried the second umbrella holder system and the Westcott is far too much weight for it to be supported)

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,135 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 03, 2013 10:08 |  #2

Why not get a PLM from Paul Buff with the Elinchrome shaft for about the same price as the westcott?

OneyedJack
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 03, 2013 10:23 |  #3

Try a heavy duty tilt bracket. I have the photoflex model linked below. The umbrella attachment hole is 10mm in diameter. You should be able to use the Elinchrom's tilt to aim the strobe at the center of the modifier to compensate for moving the light further off-center.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …vy_Duty_Swivel_​Mount.html (external link)

5Dmk2 | 24-105f4 | 16-35f2.8 | 70-200f2.8

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 03, 2013 10:27 |  #4

ahh, a 7mm shaft PLM alternative. Didn't know this was out in the wild. Great price too. I can have my big light source and not break the bank. That's a relief! I think I'll snag an extreme silver 86" today. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Gonzogolf.

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 03, 2013 10:33 |  #5

OneyedJack wrote in post #16264075 (external link)
Try a heavy duty tilt bracket. I have the photoflex model linked below. The umbrella attachment hole is 10mm in diameter. You should be able to use the Elinchrom's tilt to aim the strobe at the center of the modifier to compensate for moving the light further off-center.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …vy_Duty_Swivel_​Mount.html (external link)

I guess I spoke too soon about the paul buff. I wasn't aware of there being a heavy duty swivel mount. This is even even more cost effective. This may be just what I need to lock this huge modifier from slipping down. And if the light isn't perfectly centred as you suggested then I'm sure it's very minor and something I can live with.

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 03, 2013 16:47 |  #6

Pearlallica wrote in post #16264106 (external link)
I guess I spoke too soon about the paul buff. I wasn't aware of there being a heavy duty swivel mount. This is even even more cost effective. This may be just what I need to lock this huge modifier from slipping down. And if the light isn't perfectly centred as you suggested then I'm sure it's very minor and something I can live with.

but does it solve the fact the light source will still be very off center?

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 03, 2013 18:08 |  #7

flowrider wrote in post #16265187 (external link)
but does it solve the fact the light source will still be very off center?

certainly not but I guess the question is will this difference truly translate into an actual issue.

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 05, 2013 00:13 |  #8

gonzogolf wrote in post #16264035 (external link)
Why not get a PLM from Paul Buff with the Elinchrome shaft for about the same price as the westcott?

Does anyone know if the kacey elinchrom to speedo mount adapter with the eli center mount for the PLM will clear a speedotron flash tube?

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

ScatterCr
384 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 05, 2013 19:41 |  #9

pyrojim wrote in post #16269213 (external link)
Does anyone know if the kacey elinchrom to speedo mount adapter with the eli center mount for the PLM will clear a speedotron flash tube?

That would be dependent on which flash heads you were using. While a smaller Blackline head like the 102 or 103 would probably work, the larger single & multiple tube heads like the 104, 105 or 106 would not.

I made custom mounts out of old Speedotron deep reflector collars and carburetor linkage rods for the large flash heads. The linkage rods need to be at least 10" long to clear the longer flash tubes. Also, you will need the small disc from the small end of the PCB #ESRA speedring/cage assembly. I also use a permanent nut & bolt instead of a wing nut to attach to the 10mm PLM shaft.

Erik
Gear | flickr (external link)

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 06, 2013 13:05 |  #10

Just an update, I went ahead and bought the Paul Buff PLM with elinchrom ring. Not getting any bites on my kjiji listing for the Westcott (selling for $90) so it may end up collecting dust with the rest of my un-used modifiers :/

ScatterCr
384 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 06, 2013 17:36 |  #11

pyrojim sent me a PM asking for some pictures of my custom Speedotron to PLM adapter. A 104 two-cable head is used to demonstrate. The 104 is an obsolete head that uses 4 shorter 1200Ws flash tubes. This adapter also works with a 106 head. Not counting the collars, it cost me about $100 to build two of these. Use sandbags with this setup!

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5346/9686700007_3ef4aca169_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/scattercreek/9​686700007/  (external link)
130906-2101.jpg (external link) by ScatterCr (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7377/9689940238_471d106449_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/scattercreek/9​689940238/  (external link)
130906-2103.jpg (external link) by ScatterCr (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

130906-2105.jpg (external link) by ScatterCr (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

130906-2108.jpg (external link) by ScatterCr (external link), on Flickr

It is best to use a deep style Speedotron collar off of an old reflector. I purchased the Elinchrom adapters from PCB to get the curved disc piece for the small end. Not sure if they can be purchased separately.

The linkage rods have right-handed threads on one end and left-handed threads on the other end. Some drilling is required and careful bending is necessary to get things to line up. Use the right-handed thread to center and adjust at the small end.

Below is a list of the hard to find parts that are needed and links of where to find them (except the collar, which you will have to scrounge) at Midwest Control Products Corp. Use internal star washers between the linkage rod locknuts and an external star washer on the 3/8-16 PLM mounting screw (pictured).

Rod, Threaded 10-32 (external link)
Nut, Jam 10-32 RH, ZC (external link)
Nut, Jam 10-32 LH, ZY (external link)

Erik
Gear | flickr (external link)

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 06, 2013 19:03 as a reply to  @ ScatterCr's post |  #12

That is awesome. thank you SO much.

I have been heavily considering the PCB parabolic umbrella because the parabolic reflectors from the big guys are fantastically expensive.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

sponsored links

4,127 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best support for Wescott 7' parabolic umbrella
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.