Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Jul 2013 (Monday) 23:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS 70D officially announced!

Gluck
213 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 02, 2013 20:53 |  #1996

There is also the printer deal, debating if I really need the printer.
Im about to place my order and trying to find the best deal, anyone have any insight on who is offering the best deal? Im mainly looking for body only, but may pick up one of the STM lens for the silent AF

My Zenfolio (external link)

sponsored links
Ranger187
486 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 02, 2013 20:59 |  #1997

Install the SlickDeals app, or go to their website and see if you can find better prices. Keep in mind, if they aren't Canon certified, it's more a *gamble* with it.

Adorama and B&H are your best bets IMO. And most of the time no tax.

BLOG (external link)
Flickr (external link)
[Canon A75][Canon Pro1][Canon EOS-70D] | GEAR

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
8,066 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 03, 2013 12:26 |  #1998

According to the latest readings over at DxOMark, the website’s exhaustive lab tests are stating that Canon’s new 70D is just a tad better than the previous 60D and the flagship 7D in terms of sensor performance. And where this all seems to really count is in the high ISO performance with some variance in the dynamic range. A post on Reddit showcases a Canon user who is angry about this as Nikon’s newer cameras always outperform its predecessors by far.

So what does this actually mean in real life? Well, if you’re not going to use Canon’s new Dual Pixel AF for video recording and instead just going to take still images, you’re probably just going to get better high ISO performance over any of the other options. The 7D is still better for mostly everything else, though the 70D does have the 7D’s autofocusing.

After the jump, check out the comparison against the aging 5D Mk II and the 100D, otherwise known as the SL1.

Canon 1DIV, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped, 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 300 2.8, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 03, 2013 12:56 |  #1999

burnet44 wrote in post #16264399 (external link)
though the 70D does have the 7D’s autofocusing.

No it doesn't.

It lacks two of the 7Ds AF modes (Expansion and Spot) and it lacks a dedicated AF processor to speed everything up.

It just happens to have the same number of AF points.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 03, 2013 13:03 |  #2000

hollis_f wrote in post #16264494 (external link)
...It just happens to have the same number of AF points.

But, you should know by now, Frank, that the number of AF points + the number of those that are "cross"type is the be-all and end-all of how to judge AF technology on this board! ;):lol:

Tom

Rimwalker
133 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 03, 2013 13:43 |  #2001

No message.

Canon 70D & 40D, 10-22, 15-85, 50 1.8, 70-200 F4, 400 5.6

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
8,066 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 03, 2013 14:13 |  #2002

http://www.cameralabs.​com …non_EOS_70D/ver​dict.shtml (external link)

Canon 1DIV, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped, 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 300 2.8, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

mojodawg
91 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 03, 2013 18:26 |  #2003

The 7D is still better for mostly everything else, though the 70D does have the 7D’s autofocusing.

Wrong, and more wrong. The correct statement is:
"The 7D is better at certain types of autofocus and the 70D is better for mostly everything else."

70D | 10-22mm ƒ/3.5-4.5 | 17-55mm ƒ/2.8 | 50mm ƒ/1.4 | 70-300mm ƒ/4-5.6 |

bpietrzak
91 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 03, 2013 18:31 |  #2004

cool camera

Brad
Canon 5D IV | 24-105 | 28-300 | 70-200 2.8 | 24 TS II

ssracer
Goldmember
1,855 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 03, 2013 19:43 |  #2005

On backorder at adorama. Canceled my order there and placed with B&H. Should be here by the end of the week. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

- Sean
my gear
my flickr (external link)

meglet
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 03, 2013 22:44 |  #2006

FYI for those of you looking to pick up a 70D - it looks like Amazon finally has stock of both lens kits and the body only option. They're offering 4% rewards as well. (Rewards = Amazon credit)

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Tamron SP 60mm f/2 Macro Di II | Samyang 8mm f/3.8 VDSLR Fish-eye

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 03, 2013 23:12 |  #2007

According to the latest readings over at DxOMark, the website’s exhaustive lab tests are stating that Canon’s new 70D is just a tad better than the previous 60D and the flagship 7D in terms of sensor performance. And where this all seems to really count is in the high ISO performance with some variance in the dynamic range. A post on Reddit showcases a Canon user who is angry about this as Nikon’s newer cameras always outperform its predecessors by far.

So what does this actually mean in real life? Well, if you’re not going to use Canon’s new Dual Pixel AF for video recording and instead just going to take still images, you’re probably just going to get better high ISO performance over any of the other options. The 7D is still better for mostly everything else, though the 70D does have the 7D’s autofocusing.

After the jump, check out the comparison against the aging 5D Mk II and the 100D, otherwise known as the SL1.

Nikon is a slave to Sony's sensors, which are quite nice this generation. But it's not like Nikon innovates in the sensor space, they just wrap a sensor they buy around their shell and software, which IMO is less inutitive than Canon. Also one gearhead's rant about the technical details of a sensor doesn't necessarily reflect the opinions of everyone. 95% of the target market for the 70D has probably not heard about dynamic range and they don't care to.

So far I am quite happy with the camera. I am a casual user and taking hours to lift shadows and worry about the edges of the DR is just not something I care about. The 70D is about wrapping up a lot of features into a multipurpose package, and I think it pulls it off really well.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 04, 2013 02:32 |  #2008

Keyan wrote in post #16266219 (external link)
Nikon is a slave to Sony's sensors, which are quite nice this generation. But it's not like Nikon innovates in the sensor space, they just wrap a sensor they buy around their shell and software, which IMO is less inutitive than Canon.

If this were strictly the case, then Nikon's cameras should get identical performance to Sony's in the sensor department, if not actually be worse (why would Sony give competitors better sensors than their own, or even put them on an equal footing for that matter?).

But they don't seem to, even for full frame. For instance, the Nikon D600 kills the Sony Alpha 99 at high ISO performance, and though the dynamic range and color depth figures are similar, the Nikon still beats the Alpha slightly. They were released one day apart and are both full frame cameras.

No, I have to conclude that while Nikon may be making use of some of Sony's patents in terms of the sensor, and may be using Sony to fab the sensors, the design is still Nikon's.

Also one gearhead's rant about the technical details of a sensor doesn't necessarily reflect the opinions of everyone. 95% of the target market for the 70D has probably not heard about dynamic range and they don't care to.

This is absolutely true. How often have we heard the fallacy that "if you're pushing your shadows that much, then you didn't expose properly!" ? Since that is precisely how you make use of the full dynamic range of the camera, those who repeat that fallacy clearly have no idea what dynamic range really is, much less how to make use of what their camera supplies.

The 70D is better at dynamic range than the 7D. That's not so much because the raw dynamic range figures are any better, but because the sensor is clean in the deep shadows at base ISO, which isn't the case for the 7D's sensor (you get banding in the very deep shadows with the 7D).

So far I am quite happy with the camera. I am a casual user and taking hours to lift shadows and worry about the edges of the DR is just not something I care about. The 70D is about wrapping up a lot of features into a multipurpose package, and I think it pulls it off really well.

Any modern Canon camera is really an excellent package that is capable of taking outstanding photographs. These days, the camera is generally not going to be the limiting factor, particularly once you start talking about cameras with autofocus systems like what's in the 70D and 7D.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

dufflover
315 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 04, 2013 07:08 |  #2009

That's all ideal and stuff, but nonetheless as a bit of tech enthusiast there are people who want good value for their money. There are a lot of people who would happily pay for say a 7D with updated Digic/software and sensor similar to the high standards set in say a D7000/D7100. Ofcourse Canon still "wins" in some respects as many have given up waiting and forked out for a 5D3.

Personally, I want more IQ increase for the cost, given it has been 4~5 years. Camera is still a piece of technology. You could buy a 4 year old computer and still do your documents and surf the net fine? A fast computer isn't going to write your work reports or your novel (the analogous excuse of the camera not being the bottleneck). That's all understandable, but omits the fact that for most people, money does not grow on trees. I can handle the current ISO noise and DR ... that doesn't mean I'll fork over my hard earned for pretty much the same thing.

hehe funnily enough I could've used that Live phase AF today. Tried shooting low on the grass but alas small moving subjects made AF Quick not useable, and contrast detect as we all know ... bleh!

"Duffman, could you bring in two bottles of smooth, untainted DUFF?""Oh Yeah!"
Main gear: Canon 7D, Canon 60D, Sig 120-300/2.8 OS, Can 100-400, Can 70-200/2.8L II, Can 1.4x-II, Can 2x-III, Tam 17-50/2.8, Tam 90/2.8 macro

My Flickr (feel free to critique!) (external link)

nightingale20
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 04, 2013 09:40 |  #2010

Hello
I am new here . I own a 450 D and i have had this for about 4 years . I really want to upgrade as I have kind of marginally improved and I am understanding a lot of about light and other technicalities. Last month I was gifted a fab new lens SIGMA 10-20mm and it is really nice . The 450D came with the standard 18-55mm and since I complained so much about how standard these lens were I was gifted this great lens last month . I also own a Canon 80-200mm lens which I picked up from EBAY ages ago .
Now I have regained my confidence and interest in photography . I would like to sell my Canon 450 D now and either buy 70 D or another Canon better than this. The question I want to ask you is : If I buy a 70D or 60D will my SIGMA lens 10-20 mm and the other 80-200mm be compatible ? Will I be able to use the original 18-55mm with the new body . I haven't yet been to a camera shop to find out but would like to ask your opinion .Please help here as I am rather confused too ..
Thanks
Nightingale20

sponsored links

312,699 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 70D officially announced!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.