Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 16:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are the pins on the 600EX RT live in a cold hotshoe?

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 03, 2013 16:56 |  #1

As I always use my two 600s off camera, with STE3 trigger in radio mode I bought a couple of cold Hotshoe umbrella Holders.
Probably not the right description, but they are metal, fit on a lighting stand and have a clamp for an umbrella.

http://www.amazon.co.u​k …=cold+shoe+moun​t+umbrella (external link)

Then I thought when they are triggered - could the electrical pins on the base of the 600s short on these metal brackets?
Should I tape the inside of the bracket with electrical tape.

I am assuming they will not as the little accessory feet are metal, but just thought I would ask.

Its difficult to see e if they touch due to the weather sealing lip.

Any views welcome. I asked Canon UK who said " uhmmmm interesting point - see your concern - but I don't know - I will check," but they have not got back to me.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

sponsored links
Q-Man
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 03, 2013 18:35 |  #2

I don't know if they are or are not, but I've always just added electrical tape for my own peace of mind.

6D | 7D MkII | 16-35 f4L | 35 f1.2L II | 135 f2L | 180 f3.5L | 400 f5.6L
breathephoto (external link)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 03, 2013 18:39 |  #3

This is why I went to using the Frio with my 600s

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …al_locking_cold​_shoe.html (external link)

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 03, 2013 18:43 |  #4

If the shoe has no electrical contact(s) it is just a flash "shoe". If it has electrical contacts it is a "hotshoe".

Many flash shoes lift the flash foot off the bottom of the shoe and the contacts of the flash foot just dangle in air, but some do not. Remember the flash "foot" goes in the "shoe" (or the "hotshoe"). The part on the flash is not a hotshoe, but a flash foot.

Without a closeup image of your flavor of shoe it would be difficult to determine if this may be an issue or no concern at all. If the contacts just dangle in air that is fine. Air is a far better insulator than about anything.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 03, 2013 18:57 |  #5

I've been using THESE (external link) for years without a problem. Notice the center is cut away which probably means the pins don't touch.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 03, 2013 19:59 |  #6

My choice for security and electrical safety is the Frio foot. On both counts the benefit far outweighs the cost. See p.20 of TOYUG - link to pdf in my signature

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 04, 2013 04:41 |  #7

drvnbysound wrote in post #16265458 (external link)
This is why I went to using the Frio with my 600s

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …al_locking_cold​_shoe.html (external link)

Looks perfect but there is no hole and clamp for a brolly!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 04, 2013 04:45 as a reply to  @ Submariner's post |  #8

So in summary it sounds like I really have to check nothing is touching!

So far I used the canon supplied little foot, and screwed the light stand into the 1/4" hole underneath but I do need to mount an umbrella!

Trailboy
540 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 04, 2013 05:25 |  #9

I'd change them for safety sake to something with a groove cut in so the pins arent touching anything.

These are excellent:

http://www.ebay.co.uk …_trksid=p3984.m​1438.l2649 (external link)

Trailboy
540 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 04, 2013 05:26 |  #10

Frios are just replacement cold shoes.

I have a few, and their copies, and don't like them at all. I just much prefer a solid metal pinching cold shoe as seen on the above umbrella swivel.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 04, 2013 05:45 |  #11

Submariner wrote in post #16266682 (external link)

This is just the shoe... you would still need an umbrella adapter. This simply mounts to the top of the umbrella adapter.

See various umbrella adapters in my signature. In all pictures except the last one, I have the flash mounted to a hotshoe that I purchased from FlashZebra. The last umbrella adapter had a metal shoe that could not be removed from the umbrella adapter.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 04, 2013 05:58 |  #12

Certainly, everyone has a preference for everything. That said, Lon may recall that I sent him an email about a year ago regarding hot shoes; prior to me getting a 600EX-RT I was using CyberSync manual triggers with the hotshoes from Flash Zebra...

I was outside shooting some family pictures and had a flash setup on a stand with an umbrella. While shooting I had the gear sandbagged and everything went great. However, when we were all done and I was putting things up, I simply collapsed the umbrella while I was packing other things. Unfortunately, a gust a wind caught the umbrella and tossed the setup to the ground.

When I first ran over to take a look I saw some broken plastic and knew for sure I was going to need a foot replacement for my 580EXII and I was pissed at myself for not taking better precautions. Upon closer inspection, I found that it was the Flash Zebra hotshoe that had broke. So I actually wrote Lon, explaining what had happened, and thanked him for the fact that the hotshoe broke... so that my flash did not. If I were using a metal shoe I know that I would have been replacing the foot of the flash instead.

That said, I'll be sticking to the frio and/or other plastic shoes. In addition to what I said above, I actually prefer their fitment to the metal ones. That's just my preference ;)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,729 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 04, 2013 17:36 |  #13

Submariner wrote in post #16265207 (external link)
Then I thought when they are triggered - could the electrical pins on the base of the 600s short on these metal brackets?
Should I tape the inside of the bracket with electrical tape.

One can take the Scotch brand 'Magic Mending' tape and apply it to the hotshoe area to insulate all contacts except the large center contact which triggers. Magic Mending tape is made of DuPont Mylar, which is an excellent insulator although thin so that the foot contacts won't have issue with thicker electrical tape.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 04, 2013 17:54 |  #14

HERE (external link) is my preferred way to mount my 600EX-RT with an umbrella or umbrella frame soft box. It fits into a standard umbrella adapter. The flash is held on with the velcro strap. Works like a charm.
I put the strap around the head and leave the head tilted so the display is visible, although upside down.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 05, 2013 21:21 |  #15

Submariner wrote in post #16266682 (external link)

The Frio replaces the clamp at the top of the umbrella bracket you linked to in post 1. Unscrew the metal clamp and replace with a safe one.

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

sponsored links

3,786 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are the pins on the 600EX RT live in a cold hotshoe?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.