Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 19:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How does FF improve image quality?

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 03, 2013 21:42 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

Frodge wrote in post #16265937 (external link)
This is why I feel bad for newcomers on this forum that just bought their new rebels looking for some advice.

If they are better informed, they should have bought a mirrorless instead.

There's no real advantage for newcomers buying into low/midrange crop DSLR these days imho, but sadly a lot of novice still thinks a bulky DSLR = better and sharper picture than a small camera.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

sponsored links
moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 03, 2013 21:50 |  #32

TJays wrote in post #16265954 (external link)
Close in focal mm (100) I'm blown away with my 85mm/1.2 II L on either my 5DMRK III or IDX, but not on my 7D. There are other very sharp L's, I'm just comparing near focal mm 100 vs 85mm which was your question

Thanks a lot

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 03, 2013 21:51 |  #33

Why doesn't canon discontinue the rebel and xxd line and just push the m?

YashicaFX2
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 03, 2013 21:52 |  #34
bannedPermanent ban

davidc502 wrote in post #16265750 (external link)
I'd say it's the bit of matter between the eye-piece and the floor. ;)

I really feel like I should disagree with you. I'm not totally convinced that the 5D 'betterness' isn't all in my head, just because I want it to be. That would be my excuse to buy a 5DIII.

Dedicated APS-c shooter. Gripped 60D, 60 2.8, 10-22, 15-85, Σ70-200 OS and a big white something or other! Plus a 5D w/28-75.

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 03, 2013 21:56 |  #35

but i remember that i had some sharp photos with my ex 600D and the 60mm f/2.8 macro sharper than the 100L with my ex 5D2 and 5D3 and sharper than my 6D why ?

i will answer my self
the 600D had a built in flash and the FF bodies dont
thats why
if i want a very sharp images from the FF i must use an external flash

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 03, 2013 21:58 |  #36
bannedPermanent ban

Frodge wrote in post #16265995 (external link)
Why doesn't canon discontinue the rebel and xxd line and just push the m?

Because Canon knows there are still plenty of ill informed novice out there who will continue buying into the Rebels? I mean why would you discontinue the line if it continues to make money :p

Like many large company, Canon is slow, arrogant and reluctant to change and adapt, smiliar to Nikon with its J1/V1 line which is also a total failure.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 03, 2013 22:13 |  #37

I think the crops sensors have a place in the market, a pretty big one. You could make more of an argument that the upper end glass and ff stuff is more of te arrogance. I'm sure rebels make more money overall. Canon would be a much smaller company of they only produced cameras only a small number of people could understand.
Companies are in the game to make money. For the very large majority of people, a rebel will outperform their needs in a good majority of the cases. There are threads in these forums of people asking how a 7d will help them I they upgrade....why would this person choose to upgrade to a camera that they don't know how it will help them? I've said this before, I've seen amazing photos in the rebel threads. I own several old 35mm bodies, a t3i and a 60d. A full frame is no where on my horizon. The quality of my prints are excellent. I cannot justify a full frame at this time. Canon understand te market and thy most people don't want to invest 5 grand on a kit after all is said and done. This is not accusatory, but the arrogance is in the people going around convincing people they need ff.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 03, 2013 22:17 |  #38

Frodge wrote in post #16266065 (external link)
I think the crops sensors have a place in the market, a pretty big one. You could make more of an argument that the upper end glass and ff stuff is more of te arrogance. I'm sure rebels make more money overall. Canon would be a much smaller company of they only produced cameras only a small number of people could understand.

They'd be Leica.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 03, 2013 22:21 |  #39

i like the photos from the 60D and its a crop body more than the photos from the FF
i love the three brothers
50mm f/1.8
18-55
55-250
they are cheap but gives a great photos on the crop bodies

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,862 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 03, 2013 22:30 |  #40

NeonStar wrote in post #16265618 (external link)
Or I mean does it improve image quality?
I know about crop factor, low light performance and depth of field, but assuming ISO 100 how different would pictures from crop vs ff be?

Assuming nearly the same generation FF to crop, the FF will yield less noisy and sharper images due to a couple of reasons (less dense sensor, different AA filter presumably).

However, if you are focal-length limited and want more, then FF doesn't supply all the advantages you might need. A crop body will put more pixels on target, and with a good sharp lens, will produce a better image than a FF cropped image, then resized up to the same resolution of the crop. Been there, done it... :)

Now if you are able to add a 1.4x to your FF to get most of the 1.6 reach back, the results are very, very comparable, but you lose a stop of light, so if you raise up the ISO a stop, you are reducing the advantage of the FF in a different way.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 7D Mark II
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

Richard ­ N
125 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 03, 2013 23:24 |  #41

Medium format kicks FF a$$...

:D:D:D

seriously though.... this is a useless thread, apologies to the OP.

flickr (external link) - (Coming Soon)
My Gear List
Marketplace Feedback

brettjrob
Dr. Goodness PHD
470 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 03, 2013 23:41 |  #42

Frodge wrote in post #16265937 (external link)
This is why I feel bad for newcomers on this forum that just bought their new rebels looking for some advice.

Agreed that it's a real fallacy for anyone on a budget who isn't a professional. It is *way* cheaper to get decent glass for crop, nevermind the price differential for the body itself. As someone else mentioned, in many cases, no one will ever know the difference if not printing large or shooting in extreme low light conditions.

The T4i/T3i can be had for around $500. Pair it with something like a 15-85 and 70-200 f/4L, and you've got IQ that's more than sufficient for most hobbyists' needs at under $1500.

Seriously, the Rebel series are more than sufficient for most people's needs if they aren't shooting a lot of action. I shot them for eight years, and know a professional in my photographic specialty who did the same for even longer and made a living off it. A Rebel is literally 1/3 the cost of the cheapest current-gen FF body you can get.

An entry-level FF system will run you on the order of $3000. And even then, you're probably going to be looking at overall weaker lens resolution across the frame. Getting edge-to-edge sharp glass for FF on Canon is *seriously* frustrating if you don't have a huge budget and/or aren't willing to go with all primes. I don't know why some people in this thread are acting like FF magically makes a lot of EF lenses better, because IMO more often than not, it's the exact opposite. Many lenses are relatively strong near the center, but fall apart at the edges. The crop factor makes the weak areas "disappear," so to speak.

Of course, don't take all this to mean I think FF isn't worth it. I'm an FF owner, after all. If you *need* high ISO frequently, it's certainly worth it. (For example, I enjoy doing nightscapes and milky way shots, and FF absolutely stomps crop in that area -- there's simply no way to compensate for the vastly superior performance at ISO 3200+ unless you have like an f/1.2 lens for your crop). If you want to print large, it's worth it. If you shoot a lot of landscapes that get pushed hard in PP, the cleaner RAW files can be worthwhile even at low ISO.

But if you mainly do a lot of "walkaround"/street/tr​avel photography, shoot your kids/pets, etc., then you really shouldn't feel obligated to move up. The difference in results probably won't feel like what you'd expect for the investment.

Nikon D610, D5100
Samyang 14/2.8 | Nikon 18-35G, 24-85G VR, 70-200/4G VR

Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | skyinmotion.com (external link)
Feedback

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 03, 2013 23:56 |  #43

In the same way cropping degrades it.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 04, 2013 00:05 |  #44

This thread is hilarious!......seems crop sensors are inferior and the rebel line is below so many of you....then I think back to last year when my friend ,a semi pro photog ,sold her landscape photos and prints to a downtown law firm for 30k....all shot with a Rebel.....if only they had know those beautiful photographs were shot on a crop sensor...oh the horror......To the OP er.....it's not the camera it's the person using it.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,344 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 04, 2013 00:21 |  #45

YashicaFX2 wrote in post #16265739 (external link)
If that is true, why do I sometimes like what my 5D produces with mediocre glass, more than what my 60D produces with top-flight EFs glass? Or why do I like my 28-135 a lot more on the 5D than on the 60D? Perhaps it is just wishful thinking.

That's interesting. I prefer the images my 50D produces more than those produced by my full frame 5D, in most real-life shooting situations.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

34,683 views & 0 likes for this thread
How does FF improve image quality?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.