Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 19 Aug 2013 (Monday) 18:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you give your clients color and b&w versions?

bayvillian516
142 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 19, 2013 18:43 |  #1

Just curious to what all the pros are doing out there. As of now when they buy the disk from me I give them the colors in one folder then the exact ones in black and white in another folder. I was interested to see if any of you are giving some black and white mixed in with the colors.
I probably could of phrased this question better but I've been editing all day and am at the point where my brain isn't firing on full:)

Canon 5Dmk2, 5dmk3, 17-40L, 28-75 tamron, 35L, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 f2.8 is ll, 430exll, 600ex, 2x ab800.
Dp2M
Long Island Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links
memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 19, 2013 19:00 |  #2

No. Since I never just batch convert B&W I do them individually I'd be doubling my workload if I did. I give the clients the files however I decided to edit them.

Peter

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 19, 2013 20:00 |  #3

I also make a creative decision and only edit each photo in a single manner (if it's in B/W, there is no color version provided). That said, if a customer requests a certain photo to be edited differently, I have no issue doing that.....in general, I've found it to be a rare request.

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 19, 2013 23:21 |  #4

I decide what I do B&W and if it works in color, then I give them both. If it doesn't work in color (generally because of mixed lighting I can't control) they get B&W only.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

flowrider
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 20, 2013 00:06 |  #5

Like others I only convert the ones that I think will covert well unless they specifically ask for it.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 22, 2013 16:43 |  #6

If you're providing digital files, you certainly don't want the clients doing their own conversion. There's a lot more to it than moving the saturation slider to the left.

But with Lightroom presets it's easy enough to make virtual copies and convert a batch to B&W with a few clicks.

Actors nowadays often want both color and B&W for auditions/comp cards/online.The packages we offer for actors' headshots include both versions.

As an aside, if your images will be submitted to a newspaper, you really want to do the conversion yourself and provide the B&W version. Newspapers can make a color image look horrid in B&W.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

StephenAndrew
855 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 22, 2013 22:59 |  #7

I'll do some B&W conversions at my own creative discretion. I deliver both the color and B&W versions - not in separate folders or anything, just right alongside it. IMO, it's easier than providing the B&W only, then the couple asks later "Can I have that one in color?" This is for weddings mainly - I don't think I'd do B&W's for something like a commercial job, unless that's what they were going for specifically.

Connecticut Wedding and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Equipment/Feedback

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,274 posts
Gallery: 183 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Aug 23, 2013 12:10 |  #8

No I don't. In fact, no client has ever expressed any interest in a B&W version of an image. And I can't remember ever having seen any of my images converted by the client. I'm sure it has happened, but I have never seen it.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
37,023 posts
Gallery: 175 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Aug 23, 2013 12:23 |  #9

Yes, I have shot some annual reports in B&W only. Some ads only in B&W. But that was B&W only. We usually know before hand whether we need color so it usually never both.

My personal work has all been B&W lately.

gigolo
56 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 04, 2013 02:09 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #10

For models doing TF shoots I usually prefer to provide B&W versions because I've taken the decision to only upload B&W photos on the internet (and models usually put photos on facebook etc) and I want to keep my color versions for uses where there is some actual money landing on my hands, e.g. stock or art gallery someday. Nevertheless sometimes I also upload color but sparingly.

Some models insist on getting color versions though so when this happens I give them the B&W versions and if they insist a lot then I give them a few pics in color... for some models I may give them everything in color too if they insist a lot or if I want to give them something as a gift to get them do more TF shoots and not demand paid shootings. (however, I've found it doesn't work).

sponsored links

1,946 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you give your clients color and b&w versions?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.