Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 31 Aug 2013 (Saturday) 18:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting a Wedding show - fee?

Revan46
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 31, 2013 18:22 |  #1

Hi all
So I was lucky enough back in January to photograph a wedding show. At the time I was doing a story on the show and just wanted after getting all my interviews to just stay and take photos so I shot the bridal and bridesmaid fashion shows and such. Had a LOT of fun and afterwards the person who ran it asked if I could send her the photos. Even though at the time I only had my camera and a 18-55mm kit lens, she still really liked the photos and has even said they were the best in 26 years of the show (which if you've seen one of my other photo posts showcasing my work it was just so-so, even I'll admit that).
Recently she asked me to come back to the wedding show in September for their fall wedding show and be the staff photographer. This time I'd also say I'm going in a bit better skilled, not only do I have some solid lenses (the kit lens, the 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 telephoto, 50mm 1.8 prime lens, 40mm 2.8 portrait lens and a (universal) on-camera flash (attaches to the horseshoe)). So for some of the rooms that are darker, with the flash it'll help with getting better photos. Plus shooting in RAW also has in my opinion helped my photos immensely :P.

ANYWAY main reason for this topic, what should I charge for it? I will be doing this show for two days, 5:30-9 each day. So I'd love to hear what you think, should I do per hour, a base rate, whatever. I will be contacting the owner Tuesday to discuss this and any other aspects, like certain photos she really wants and I'd like to go in prepared. And do you think I should be getting a contract drawn up or something since this is a paid gig?

SP Photography & Journalism: http://www.seanprevil.​com (external link)

sponsored links
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 01, 2013 07:31 |  #2

Ask them what their budget is for photography. Yes get a contract too.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 02, 2013 02:29 |  #3

Sorry to say this, but neither you nor your equipment is professional, or even close. If you get anything you'll be done well. Since you haven't defined the gig, the situation, exactly what's happened well you won't get much useful input. Is it a runway show, a series of vendors in booths, or what?

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

GooseberryVisuals
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 02, 2013 07:09 |  #4

My guess is that they want a monkey with a camera. They'll most likely use the images for their blog and some online promotion for next year.

Shooting this stuff is a nightmare. Attendees don't want their photo taken, booth's are busy, people are moving in your frame, client's expectations are too high, etc.

You're going to work like a dog for relatively low pay.

Revan46
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 02, 2013 20:48 |  #5

Hmmm I see. Cause some on other sites said I could get up to $2000 or more due to licensing fees. And it's a mix. There are vendors with booths yes and there's also a bridesmaid and a bridal fashion show.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 02, 2013 21:26 |  #6

Good luck. Let us know how you make out :)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

GooseberryVisuals
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 03, 2013 05:12 |  #7

Revan46 wrote in post #16262670 (external link)
Hmmm I see. Cause some on other sites said I could get up to $2000 or more due to licensing fees. And it's a mix. There are vendors with booths yes and there's also a bridesmaid and a bridal fashion show.

I'm not going to say they won't pay $2000, but it depends on what they're looking for and how large the show is.

If they want a strobed fashion show, then yes, $2000 because of the equipment you'd have to bring and the fact that you'd most likely need an assistant. If they want someone with a pop-up flash shooting at the end of the aisle, then no way.

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Sep 03, 2013 17:19 |  #8

Horses, brides, fashion. Sounds like quite a show! Would love to see that flash that attaches to a horseshoe. I'll bet that Tim doesn't have one!

Just kidding..... ;)

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

protege
135 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 04, 2013 02:29 |  #9

Based on your last post that I commented in regarding you trying to be a wedding photog and the equipment that you have, I'd say do it for free. OR if you're really gung-ho on charging, I'd only charge transportation and food expenses. This show (and probably future shows) is your ticket for future business. Think about it. Every wedding photog booth in there is paying to be there. You're not. This is an opportunity for you to open doors, make contacts, etc. You can maybe ask the owner if your name can be promoted as a way of payment. Be on the preferred vendor list perhaps. If you do enough of these for the same owner, maybe you can negotiate having your own booth for free in the future. Think about it.

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 04, 2013 19:40 |  #10

People always make this too difficult, its really easy. What do you want to make - charge that. Also know what the lowest you will take. Typically, if you quote too high you just wont hear back from them. However, if they counter, be prepared to know what you will do it for.

You also need to know:
How many images they are expecting
What they are expecting (just fashion show, backstage, every vendor booth, attendees, etc).
Turn around time

I would be willing to be though, if you quoted $2000, you wont hear back again.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

Revan46
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 04, 2013 19:46 as a reply to  @ Red Tie Photography's post |  #11

Well I figured it out. However what I found out is she's going to pay me what she paid all the previous photographers who have shot this show. It's hard to say if this will be a good thing or bad thing, but hopefully good.

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 04, 2013 19:54 |  #12

I'd love to know what you get for it - you have piqued my interet

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

GooseberryVisuals
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 04, 2013 19:54 |  #13

Revan46 wrote in post #16268642 (external link)
Well I figured it out. However what I found out is she's going to pay me what she paid all the previous photographers who have shot this show. It's hard to say if this will be a good thing or bad thing, but hopefully good.

Any ideas on what that amount it?

If you don't know yet, get ready to be lowballed.

sponsored links

1,407 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting a Wedding show - fee?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.