Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 19:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How does FF improve image quality?

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,150 posts
Gallery: 271 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 04, 2013 09:32 |  #61

what a load of bollocks is written in this thread, while I will agree for some photography full frame is better, crop cameras are quite suitable in the right hands they are very good. I have sold numerous images from my crop cameras.

how about this shot, landscape photographer of the year in 2011
http://www.flickr.com …/in/set-72157627042395266 (external link) crop sensor

and this recent winner of Anzang on a 1DIII, again a crop sensor

http://www.australiang​eographic.com.au …otography-competition.htm (external link)

I cant believe some of the snobbery in here

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

sponsored links
YashicaFX2
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 04, 2013 09:53 |  #62
bannedPermanent ban

aladyforty wrote in post #16267115 (external link)
what a load of bollocks is written in this thread, while I will agree for some photography full frame is better, crop cameras are quite suitable in the right hands they are very good. I have sold numerous images from my crop cameras.

http://www.australiang​eographic.com.au …otography-competition.htm (external link)

Thanks for the reminder. It truly is the person behind the viewfinder who makes the photograph. My photography has lot in common with my golf game. The best equipment in the world won't help my meager talents.

Dedicated APS-c shooter. Gripped 60D, 60 2.8, 10-22, 15-85, Σ70-200 OS and a big white something or other! Plus a 5D w/28-75.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,456 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 04, 2013 10:00 |  #63

aladyforty wrote in post #16267115 (external link)

Who is saying that amazing imagery cannot be captured with a crop frame camera? I'll likely never have the opportunity to shoot Medium Format, but I'm not going to be defensive about it and whine about "snobs" that claim medium format cameras have better sensors.

I've shot crop and full-frame cameras - and from that experience I've developed a strong preferance full-frame. I don't appreciate being called a snob for having that preference. ;)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,007 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 04, 2013 10:00 |  #64

YashicaFX2 wrote in post #16266993 (external link)
I agree with you that it is the entire system that counts. Pixel size is only one part of the equation.

I sat here for five minutes trying to continue this response. Now my head hurts. Please PM me some aspirins. What is the whole crop/ff debate about anyway?

Five minutes later.
I think you added two paragraphs to what I responded to. Thanks for clearing that up. Never mind about the aspirins. I am feeling better, now.

:lol: I added the last couple of paragraphs to best describe how I feel about the whole FF vs crop discussion, even though this thread is talking more about the image quality between the two, which is a subset discussion point of just about every FF vs crop thread.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

YashicaFX2
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 04, 2013 10:06 |  #65
bannedPermanent ban

David Arbogast wrote in post #16267174 (external link)
Who is saying that amazing imagery cannot be captured with a crop frame camera? I'll likely never have the opportunity to shoot Medium Format, but I'm not going to be defensive about it and whine about "snobs" that claim medium format cameras have better sensors.

I've shot crop and full-frame cameras - and from that experience I've developed a strong preferance full-frame. I don't appreciate being called a snob for having that preference. ;)

If you read through this thread, and many others like it, you'll find quite a few comments along the lines of, "Why doesn't Canon just quit making APSC? Everyone knows they are junk. I wouldn't touch one." I don't believe aladyforty was referring to those with a preference for full frame; only to those who deem anything and everything APSC to be vastly inferior. I have both and for the most part, I can't tell the difference in IQ.

Dedicated APS-c shooter. Gripped 60D, 60 2.8, 10-22, 15-85, Σ70-200 OS and a big white something or other! Plus a 5D w/28-75.

RLJSlick
416 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 04, 2013 10:23 |  #66

YashicaFX2 wrote in post #16265714 (external link)
Please don't crucify me, but Ken Rockwell has an interesting article on the benefits of full frame.

http://www.kenrockwell​.com/tech/full-frame-advantage.htm (external link)

I remember this article, it was excellently done.

Ricky L. Jones
Canon 7Dmk II, 5Dmk III, 7D, 50D
About me (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Google+ (external link)
Facebook (external link)

RLJSlick
416 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 04, 2013 10:46 |  #67

Great topic, I'm really enjoying it. You do have the figure in the near future this topic maybe all a moot point. The price of Full Frames are dropping, at the same time some FF cameras are getting much smaller. There will be a time, maybe soon than later, when FF isn't just for the "pro" shooter.
Keep this going, I'm enjoying it.

Ricky L. Jones
About me (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Google+ (external link)
Facebook (external link)

YashicaFX2
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 04, 2013 10:56 |  #68
bannedPermanent ban

RLJSlick wrote in post #16267277 (external link)
Great topic, I'm really enjoying it. You do have the figure in the near future this topic maybe all a moot point. The price of Full Frames are dropping, at the same time some FF cameras are getting much smaller. There will be a time, maybe soon than later, when FF isn't just for the "pro" shooter.
Keep this going, I'm enjoying it.

As a shooter of both formats, what is your opinion about the 7D versus the 5DIII?

RLJSlick
416 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 04, 2013 12:23 |  #69

YashicaFX2 wrote in post #16267299 (external link)
As a shooter of both formats, what is your opinion about the 7D versus the 5DIII?

Ohhhh Yashica, I pretty much asked the same question a few weeks ago on here. https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1325610

Since I'm a bird/wildlife photographer mostly, I fight with this idea all the time. Full Frame over 1.6 crop.
After talking to some wonderful people on here, I decided to try to shoot just with my FF 5D over the 7D and so far I love it. Thanks you for asking.

Ricky L. Jones
About me (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Google+ (external link)
Facebook (external link)

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 04, 2013 12:40 |  #70

David Arbogast wrote in post #16267025 (external link)
This post is hilarious. Since cameras don't matter, why doesn't your friend just use an ipad and sell awesomely beautiful and expensive landscapes photos that she captures with that?

Always one in the crowd!..........You are seriously going to argue that the camera is what takes great,interesting,movi​ng photos? Now you have crossed over into absurd!

just for you:
https://www.google.com …0CD4QsAQ&biw=10​24&bih=571 (external link)

quote:
"Thanks for the reminder. It truly is the person behind the viewfinder who makes the photograph. My photography has lot in common with my golf game. The best equipment in the world won't help my meager talents."

according to some the only thing holding us back from the pro golfers tour is lack of expensive equipment!....LMAO!

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,456 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 04, 2013 12:47 |  #71

flashpoint99 wrote in post #16267558 (external link)
Always one in the crowd!..........You are seriously going to argue that the camera is what takes great,interesting,movi​ng photos? Now you have crossed over into absurd!

just for you:

Quote me where I said what you claim to have argued. I haven't argued that at all. Who is the absurd one here? Instead of fabricating arguments that people supposedly make, why don't you interact with them about what they actually say?

What I have said - two posts in this thread and now three - is that there is no doubt that photographers can indeed capture amazing imagery with crop frame cameras. What I protest, though, is the notion that gear has no serious role to play in photography. Saying that it's all about the photographer and not also about the gear is a logical absurdity in my opinion.

according to some the only thing holding us back from the pro golfers tour is lack of expensive equipment!....LMAO!

According to no one. No one is arguing what you claim they are.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

brettjrob
Dr. Goodness PHD
470 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 04, 2013 13:02 |  #72

just for you:

quote:
"Thanks for the reminder. It truly is the person behind the viewfinder who makes the photograph. My photography has lot in common with my golf game. The best equipment in the world won't help my meager talents."

The very first image result looks god-awful even at 720x540. Point well made. :rolleyes:

If I were admin here, any variant of the phrase "it's the photographer, not the camera" would be grounds for banning after a few uses. Myopia in its most distilled form.

Nikon D610, D5100
Samyang 14/2.8 | Nikon 18-35G, 24-85G VR, 70-200/4G VR

Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | skyinmotion.com (external link)
Feedback

YashicaFX2
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 04, 2013 13:19 |  #73
bannedPermanent ban

RLJSlick wrote in post #16267521 (external link)
Ohhhh Yashica, I pretty much asked the same question a few weeks ago on here. https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1325610

Since I'm a bird/wildlife photographer mostly, I fight with this idea all the time. Full Frame over 1.6 crop.
After talking to some wonderful people on here, I decided to try to shoot just with my FF 5D over the 7D and so far I love it. Thanks you for asking.

I am not too surprised that I missed that thread. I don't own a 7D, or a 5D3, and the closest thing I have to a birding lens is a 100-400L. I prefer to think of it as my daytime-nephew-has-game-today lens. I am sorry I missed all the great shots in that thread, too. My wife would laugh is she heard me say I missed something on POTN. She is totally convinced that I waste (her term) way too much time here. That is why she bought me a Harley for my retirement present. I can't surf the forums and ride at the same time.

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 04, 2013 13:24 |  #74

Ah, it's nice to see the sensor size debate is alive and well again on POTN.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

Gobeatty
513 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 04, 2013 13:28 as a reply to  @ brettjrob's post |  #75

Crop is fine. I used crop for years and decided to switch to full frame and have not looked back. Got all of the benefits I was looking for.

Better low light/noise performance (by a mile).

Increase image 'sharpness'. In a quote because I believe it is more than just the extra 1.6x lines in the image. Less noise reduction, gentler AA filter, sharpness even in camera that does the job with noticeably fewer artifacts, allowing for more sharpening to be applied if desired. I am trying to talk myself into upgrading 28-135 to the 24-105, but am consistently more than satisfied with the 28-135 on the FF. Having 24mm and an extra stop at the long end may be compelling, but IQ with my sample has all the detail and accurate color I need.

Just a cleanliness and relaxed nature of the images. I believe when the brain needs to work harder to interpret am image, we are a bit stressed looking at the image. This happens to me frequently with crop sensor images - much less so with FF images. Still happens - if a lens has busy bokeh, for example, it is uncomfortable for me to look at regardless of camera format.

And reduced DOF, when called for. This can be a mixed bag as I frequently have to consciously stop down a bit if I am shooting close to get enough DOF, but in the end, the narrower DOF option is a plus for me. Others my find the 'extra reach' of a crop sensor (only an issue if the lenses at hand require cropping if shot on FF) a preferred advantage.

In any case, choose what suits your needs and preferences. It is a tool for making images and suggest choosing the tool that works best for your style of photography and vision. For me, I more consistently make the images I want to make on FF (bags of detail yet a relaxed ease to the presentation and cleaner low light shots) but YMMV.

6D | 35 f2 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 28 - 135 f3.5 - 5.6 | 70-210 f4

sponsored links

35,949 views & 0 likes for this thread
How does FF improve image quality?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.