Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 18:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Aperture question

Glh222
22 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 08, 2013 18:08 |  #1

So, I love messing with the depth of field, yet I have a question I think I'm stumped on... I have seen pictures where images in the foreground are crisp, yet images closer in same image are blurred. Is there any way to create this affect without utilizing a software program??? If so, please explain as I can't figure it out.

sponsored links
20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 08, 2013 18:37 |  #2

That is done using a shallow depth of field. By using a shallow depth of field, the subject will be in focus but objects closer than the subject or farther than the subject will not.

Do a search for depth of field, and you will find lots of discussions on this topic.

You can also go here to learn a bit about depth of field in general:
http://www.cambridgein​colour.com/tutorials/d​epth-of-field.htm (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 08, 2013 18:50 |  #3

The site dofmaster.com has a nice calculator where you can see how different apertures, focal lengths and distances can affect the depth of field, which is the area of "acceptable sharpness" both in front of and behind a subject that is the "point of focus".

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Glh222
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 09, 2013 10:22 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #4

Thanks for the responses guys. Let me clarify exactly what I'm trying to achieve. I saw a photograph taken where several people were pictured, however only one of the persons, standing in the midpoint was in focus. So the image was out of focus near and far, but one specific face was crisp, it was really a terrific shot- but I don't see how this can be achieved without using software, any ideas??? Thanks again!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,176 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 09, 2013 10:31 |  #5

IMAGE: http://kevin-jones.smugmug.com/Other/General/i-DcMkBkr/0/L/POM11-2-L.jpg
Not the most artful application, but this was taken at F2 with a 135L, no software manipulation. Was this the sort of thing you meant?

Glh222
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 09, 2013 10:36 |  #6

Exactly....that's an amazing picture! So how did you achieve that exactly?

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 09, 2013 10:52 as a reply to  @ Glh222's post |  #7

As I said earlier, that was done by placing the middle person in focus and using a shallow depth of field. Hence, the subject was nice and crisp while the closer and farther persons were out of focus.

Neither magic nor special software was involved.

mplezia
429 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 09, 2013 10:56 |  #8

Glh222 wrote in post #16194040 (external link)

tonylong directed you to the dofmaster.com website . . . more specifically, you can look here: http://dofmaster.com/d​ofjs.html (external link) That should start to answer your questions.

Canon 60D | Canon 500D | Canon 430EX II | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM 'A' | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 09, 2013 10:56 |  #9

Glh222 wrote in post #16192498 (external link)
So, I love messing with the depth of field, yet I have a question I think I'm stumped on... I have seen pictures where images in the foreground are crisp, yet images closer in same image are blurred. Is there any way to create this affect without utilizing a software program??? If so, please explain as I can't figure it out.

This may be a good time to learn how cameras and lenses work. There are many ways to learn the relationship between aperture (external link), focal length and depth of field (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,176 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 09, 2013 11:17 |  #10

Glh222 wrote in post #16194040 (external link)

As they said, I used the biggest aperture on my lens, in this case F2. On a telephoto lens F2 is pretty shallow, and I was close which also makes it shallow so I just focused on the guy in the middle. As mentioned above use the DOF calculator to see how changing the apeture, distance to the subject, and the focal length all have an effect on depth of field.

Savethemoment
488 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 10, 2013 09:46 |  #11

Are you leaving it to your camera to select which part of your image to focus on? If so it's probably choosing the closest thing in the frame, meaning nothing in the foreground will be out of focus.

I suggest you check your camera manual to see how you can change its settings and select the point/s of focus yourself. Once you've made this change, practice by selecting a wide lens aperture (small f number) and then autofocusing on something further away from you than the closest object in your frame. Once you've taken the picture you should see that the closest object is blurry. If not, try increasing the distance between the closest object and the thing you've focused on.

You'll have a great time once you're clear about this and the advice others have given above :)

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 10, 2013 11:08 |  #12

It should be stated that many cameras (indeed many lenses) are not large (fast) enough to create this effect. It would be helpful to post your equipment so we know what setting (or purchase) to recommend.

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

smallpotatoes
883 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined May 2007

Aug 10, 2013 22:56 as a reply to  @ ElectronGuru's post |  #13

A shallow depth of field doesn't just create blur behind your subject. It will also cause things in front of your subject to fall out of focus.

Jaci

Canon 90D, 100mm f/2.8 macro, 55-250 IS, 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, 430EX, Raynox DCR 150

bpietrzak
91 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 04, 2013 14:07 |  #14

Shallow Depth of field; also read on the DOF preview button

Brad
Canon 5D IV | 24-105 | 28-300 | 70-200 2.8 | 24 TS II

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,521 posts
Gallery: 692 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 04, 2013 17:40 as a reply to  @ ElectronGuru's post |  #15

sry delete

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Blue Jimny Madeira (external link)

sponsored links

1,891 views & 0 likes for this thread
Aperture question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.