Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Sep 2013 (Wednesday) 16:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buy a new Macro lens or a smaller Sensor Camera Body?

Snapshot101
88 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 04, 2013 16:25 |  #1

I have a 5d Mk III that I love - I use it for macro on jewelry shots. I shoot with the 100mm L Canon .

I am considering buying the Canon 180L Macro, but a photograhper friend of mine suggested that I buy a smaller 1.6 Sensor camera that would esentially turn my 100mm into a 160mm and not be as heavy and would still be sharp. The added advantage would be that my other lens would benefit as well when fitted onto the new body. If I were to do so which canon body would be ideal? He uses the 60d and love it. I like the idea of a built in flash as you can cover the flash when it fires to set off remote flashes, unlike my 5d mk III where i have to add pocket wizards to it.

I realize that the smaller sensor camera's are not as tough or robust as my full frame but thats not an issue for me.

I would appreciate comments and feed back on this.

Spend the money on a new lens or a new body and use my current arsenal?

Thank you -

Snapshot101

sponsored links
Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 04, 2013 16:43 |  #2

Well it depends why you want to go to 180, because as I understand it the smaller sensor doesn't change the working distance, it just effective'y crops your photo; but 1mm object is still going to be 1mm big on the sensor it's more a matter of how much stuff is around it. If you're looking to go beyond 1:1, look at extension tubes with AF/Aperture contacts, or the MP-E 65. If you're looking to have greater working distance and the same 1:1 reproduction then get the 180L. The crop benefit comes from less clutter, with the smaller sensor and the same reproduction so now it's easier to fill the frame.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

paddler4
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 04, 2013 18:48 |  #3

Motor on is right: sensor size does not change minimum working distance (MWD) or the image size at MWD. However, sensor size does make a difference.

First, in macro as in any other photography, if you want to fill the frame with an image, you can be farther away with a crop sensor camera. This is probably what your friend was referring to.

Another difference is that the pixel density is higher on current crop sensor cameras than on your 5D. That gives the 5D a number of advantages. One is that you can shoot at higher ISOs for a given amount of noise. That is not often an issue in my macro work, but it sometimes is. However, for macro work, that higher pixel density has advantages. Let's say that you are at MWD and you take a picture of a 1 cm bug. The crop, with higher pixel density, will place more pixels on the image.

One last consideration: in general, MWD is larger for macro lenses with longer focal lengths.

However, if you are just doing jewelry, it seems to me that most of this doesn't matter. Rings, unlike bugs, don'r run away. You can get as close as you want, and you can take the time to light them adequately, so high-ISO noise can be avoided. I have a crop sensor camera, and I do a lot of my flower macros with the shortest lens I have: an EF-S 60mm. YOu also can use a tripod, so the hybrid IS on the best Canon macro (100L) is superfluous. So why not keep your camera, which is superb, and buy the non-L 100mm macro? It would save you a lot of $$

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

Snapshot101
THREAD ­ STARTER
88 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 04, 2013 19:28 as a reply to  @ paddler4's post |  #4

if you want to fill the frame with an image, you can be farther away with a crop sensor camera. This is probably what your friend was referring to.

Yes, this was the point. Also I understand that the depth of field will increase for a given distance with the smaller sensor.

I am keeping my current 5dMKIII and my 100L Macro , just deciding on whether or not to buy a 180mm macro or a 1.6 crop sensor body -

On trips I use the IS on the 100L lens for bugs and such.

If I go with the smaller sensor body, which one would be reccomended?

Thank you-

Snapshot101

patrick023
525 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 05, 2013 00:48 |  #5

If you go with a crop sensor body, I'd get a 7D. It has a special macro autofocus mode that works with the Canon USM macro lenses that basically doubles the AF sample rate. It can help with small camera movements and also when taking pictures of moving object like a crawling bug or a flower moving in a slight breeze.

If depth of field for jewelry is your main concern, maybe look into trying out a 45 or 90mm TS-E.

1Ds3 | 5Dmk3 | 6D | 7D | 20D | EF 17-40 f/4 L | 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 135 f/2L | EF 24-70 f/2.8L vII | EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L vII | EF 70-200 f/4 L | Sigma 170-500 | A ton of speedlights and Einsteins
My work: www.p3photo.com (external link) | My facebook: https://www.facebook.c​om/P3PhotoKC (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
3,806 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 05, 2013 19:16 as a reply to  @ patrick023's post |  #6

Works very well with a 7D (I like the combination a lot) as long as you are not using high ISO's, and to fill the frame you will effectively get more working distance. Also you will get more DOF for the same size of image on the sensor and f-stop because you will be using less magnification than if you use a 180mm on the 5DIII.

Also the 180 is large, heavy and doesn't have IS.

Of course compared to a 5DIII you will sacrifice some resolution and I would guess the 180+5DIII combo would give better IQ, but maybe not enough for it to be worth it.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

sponsored links

1,214 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buy a new Macro lens or a smaller Sensor Camera Body?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.