Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 03 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 01:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just became a member of a zoo

Salma
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 03, 2013 01:10 |  #1

Anyone here a member of a zoo?

It would've been £21 per visit but i've signed up for a yearly membership for £79. Now all I need to do is make the fence lines vanish some how :lol:

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

sponsored links
Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,272 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined May 2008

Sep 03, 2013 10:22 |  #2

My wife and I have a membership to the Detroit Zoo. We break even with the cost after two visits annually, but we usually visit 6-7 time per year -- so we get our money's worth out of the membership. We were just there last Sunday with some friends. You can see my zoo galleries here (external link).

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

sliceotime
582 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 03, 2013 11:18 as a reply to  @ Scott M's post |  #3

Try this, but be careful not to scratch your front element. I usually place my hand on the fence if possible and grasp the end of the lens with my index finger and thumb to control the distance from the fence.

http://www.digitalcame​raworld.com …otograph-through-a-fence/ (external link)

-Slice
So many birds so little time.

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,489 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 03, 2013 11:21 |  #4

I'm a member of the Riverbanks Zoo. They don't have fences there thankfully.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony ZV-1 || Sony a7RIV || Sony a9 || Sony FE 20mm f1.8 G || Sony FE 24-70 f2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55 f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM OSS || Sony FE 200-600 f5.6-6.3 G OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,272 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined May 2008

Sep 03, 2013 14:13 |  #5

Salma wrote in post #16263235 (external link)
Now all I need to do is make the fence lines vanish some how :lol:

Get as much separation as possible between the fencing and your subject, and get as close to the fence as possible. Then open up the lens, and you should be able to blur out most of the fencing.

There is only one exhibit at our zoo with fencing, and here is an example of making it disappear:

IMAGE: http://smerryfield.smugmug.com/Zoos/Detroit-Zoo-July-4th-2013/i-pXCXkD9/0/L/451A6784-L.jpg

I struggle more with exhibits with glass, as the glare is always a challenge. The new lion exhibit at our zoo is great for viewing the animals close, but the glass they used makes it almost impossible to get a good photo.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

dasher108
Goldmember
1,098 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 03, 2013 14:49 |  #6

I actually 'won' an annual pass to the Valley zoo by entering a photo contest.

Leon

T3i |70D |70-200L| 400L | 100-400L | 24-105L | 50 1.8 | sig 10-20 | sig 150-500

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 04, 2013 04:16 |  #7

Be close to the fence with a wide aperture!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 04, 2013 20:30 |  #8

Scott M wrote in post #16264072 (external link)
My wife and I have a membership to the Detroit Zoo. We break even with the cost after two visits annually, but we usually visit 6-7 time per year -- so we get our money's worth out of the membership. We were just there last Sunday with some friends. You can see my zoo galleries here (external link).

Wow, you guys are sensible. I'm not even bothered about the £79, I would've paid more if it were expensive and forgotten about the money the next day. I am so happy with the membership.

Nice gallery, love it.

sliceotime wrote in post #16264233 (external link)
Try this, but be careful not to scratch your front element. I usually place my hand on the fence if possible and grasp the end of the lens with my index finger and thumb to control the distance from the fence.

http://www.digitalcame​raworld.com …otograph-through-a-fence/ (external link)

What a method will have to try it :D

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #16264242 (external link)
I'm a member of the Riverbanks Zoo. They don't have fences there thankfully.

So lucky. I'm Whipsnade zoo the only animals that are surrounded by glass are the Lions, everything else is fenced.

Scott M wrote in post #16264788 (external link)
Get as much separation as possible between the fencing and your subject, and get as close to the fence as possible. Then open up the lens, and you should be able to blur out most of the fencing.

There is only one exhibit at our zoo with fencing, and here is an example of making it disappear:

QUOTED IMAGE
I struggle more with exhibits with glass, as the glare is always a challenge. The new lion exhibit at our zoo is great for viewing the animals close, but the glass they used makes it almost impossible to get a good photo.

What an absolutely gorgeous shot, yours is much better, you can see the fence in mine.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7439/9592671641_d1607b5f9d_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/sitaraphotos/9​592671641/  (external link)
ZSL Whipsnade Zoo (external link) by SalmaAliPhotography (external link), on Flickr

I know what you mean about the glass. It can obviously be dirty some times too and all the dirt shows up as bokeh covering all the detail.

dasher108 wrote in post #16264882 (external link)
I actually 'won' an annual pass to the Valley zoo by entering a photo contest.

Leon

I envy you.

tonylong wrote in post #16266674 (external link)
Be close to the fence with a wide aperture!

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

PKIDelirium
35 posts
Joined May 2013

Sep 04, 2013 21:43 as a reply to  @ Salma's post |  #9

Had a Columbus Zoo membership for years, still have the autographed Jack Hanna photo. Stopped going frequently enough to justify the membership.

Haven't been there since 2009, before that 2006 and both were at night in December for Wildlights. Last daytime visit was 2005, I really need to get back there. Maybe next summer.

60D, Kiss Digital N/350D, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 50 1.8 II, Tamron 10-24, 75-300 III
Film: AE-1 with FD 50 1.8 S.C. and FD 135 3.5. EOS Rebel T2/300X with 28-90 III
[URL="http://flickr.co​m/donaldflint"][URL="h​ttp://flickr.com/donal​dflint"]Flickr

Litespeed
827 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 05, 2013 20:37 |  #10

Been a member of the San Diego Zoo for years now. I try and go at least once a month, but now I'm going to try for once a week. We also have another park that is part of the zoo called the San Diego Zoo Safari Park which is North of me and a little further away. Most of the animals at the Safari Park aren't behind bars, which makes it nice.
My membership lets me get in free to either one anytime and parking at the Safari Park is free too (usually $10 for non-member). I get coupons each year (guest passes, food discounts etc.) It's a great value for around $120 a year.

Canon Rebel T1i, 18-55, 55-250, EF-S 10-22, Canon 100 mm F2.8 macro, Manfrotto tripod & monopod, Canon 100-400mm, Lightroom 4, Canon 7D, Canon EF 28-135mm

Everything has beauty but not everyone sees it...Confucius

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 06, 2013 09:53 |  #11

Litespeed wrote in post #16271642 (external link)
Been a member of the San Diego Zoo for years now. I try and go at least once a month, but now I'm going to try for once a week. We also have another park that is part of the zoo called the San Diego Zoo Safari Park which is North of me and a little further away. Most of the animals at the Safari Park aren't behind bars, which makes it nice.
My membership lets me get in free to either one anytime and parking at the Safari Park is free too (usually $10 for non-member). I get coupons each year (guest passes, food discounts etc.) It's a great value for around $120 a year.

Mine works out the exact same way.

Car park charge is usually £4 but mine's free and also I get to visit London zoo and also Whipsnade :oops:

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,281 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 06, 2013 09:59 as a reply to  @ Salma's post |  #12

...bronx zoo, which also includes a free entrance to the brooklyn, queens, central park zoos and the aquarium in coney island! bronx zoo offers free wednesdays so i will not renew my membership! what can i say, im cheap!!! :)

mesodan
407 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 09, 2013 01:11 |  #13

Unfortunately not a big fan of Zoo's. Photo's like this are just too depressing:(.

IMAGE: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2b/BushElephantProvidenceZoo.jpg/610px-BushElephantProvidenceZoo.jpg

5DIV | 16-35L f2.8 III | 24L II | 35L II | 50L | 85L II | 70-200L II | 300L II IS | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II
www.dsw-photo.com (external link)

Litespeed
827 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 09, 2013 18:27 |  #14

I understand your concern. I would prefer that they all live in their natural homes too, but the reality isn't pretty out there. At least zoo's educate people to their plight.
The San Diego Safari Park is a breeding facility for endangered animals. They have returned many animals back to wild and brought them back from extinction. Look at the California Condor, they were almost completely wiped out but now they are making a recovery.

Canon Rebel T1i, 18-55, 55-250, EF-S 10-22, Canon 100 mm F2.8 macro, Manfrotto tripod & monopod, Canon 100-400mm, Lightroom 4, Canon 7D, Canon EF 28-135mm

Everything has beauty but not everyone sees it...Confucius

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 10, 2013 15:31 |  #15

If you are shooting through glass then a cheap rubber lens hood cuts out any glare as you can place it directly on to the glass. Something like this (other sizes are available): http://www.ebay.co.uk …ain_0&hash=item​5d3f462cb1 (external link)

They also help with fencing as well as they prevent you pushing your lens on to the wire.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

5,914 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just became a member of a zoo
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.