Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 08 Jun 2013 (Saturday) 08:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Crested Butte, CO area opts?

tb1956
148 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 08, 2013 08:06 |  #1

We are going to Crested Butte and Gunnison, CO in Sept . I've never been and would like some suggestions on photo opts for landscapes, etc. I sure don't mind short hikes but am not up to long ones. Any suggestions on specific locations and directions ? Many thanks!

Canon 5D Mark III , Canon 7D Mark II

sponsored links
patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,256 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 08, 2013 13:12 |  #2

tb1956 wrote in post #16011222 (external link)
We are going to Crested Butte and Gunnison, CO in Sept . I've never been and would like some suggestions on photo opts for landscapes, etc. I sure don't mind short hikes but am not up to long ones. Any suggestions on specific locations and directions ? Many thanks!

Kebler Pass is the obvious one, plenty of opportunities for aspen shots. Check out this guy's gallery.

http://www.kaephotogra​phy.com/gallery/spring​forest/ (external link)

Flickr (external link)

TeamDrugMoney
200 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 12, 2013 08:57 as a reply to  @ patrick j's post |  #3

Definitely check out Kebler Pass! I just went through that area about 2 weeks ago and thought it was a nice area. Also check out the Black Canyon of the Gunnisons to the west of Gunnison. With a bit of luck I am hoping to get back to Crested Butte early July for the wildflowers!

If you have time check out my blog of a recent trip that included Crested Butte (with photos of Kebler Pass at

www.twelvefoottrip.tum​blr.com (external link)

The photos of your area in question are towards the bottom of the first page (which actually happens to be page 6 of the blog)

Enjoy your time out there!

smmokan
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 12, 2013 13:56 |  #4

Which part of September? The last week of September is unreal with the aspens, as mentioned Kebler Pass has some unbelievable views. For fall colors, I'd also recommend:

- Dark Canyon Trail (near Horse Ranch Park). Easy hike, great views and an amazing overlook about 1.5 miles in.
- The Dyke- either the trail, or the main overlook off Kebler Pass.
- Swing around the backside (south east side) of Mt. Crested Butte and look down/up the East River Valley. There's a short trail from the TH you can walk easily too.
- Drive up towards Gothic, north of the ski area. Lots of awesome overlooks of the East River and up towards Aspen.
- If Snodgrass is open (it's on private property, so it usually closes in Aug/Sept), do this hike. It's a little steep at the beginning, but is worth it.

If you're going in early September, my choice of trails would change since the aspens won't be changing yet. In that case, I recommend:
- Paradise Divide- rough drive, but you can get good sunset shots from the parking lot.
- Yule Pass- easy 4 mile r/t hike with great views from the same area as Paradise Divide.
- Drive up and explore around Gothic, a small town a few miles up from Mt. CB.
- Dark Canyon Trail is still amazing, regardless of the season.
- The Lower Loop is a great option right next to town, good views of the Slate River and Mt. CB.

I'm happy to help out with some more suggestions if you have specific questions... I go to CB at least 2-3 times a year. Search my website's Trip Reports section- there are a handful from the last two years from Crested Butte. IMO, it's the best mountain town in Colorado, you'll love it!

www.ChasingEpicMTB.com (external link)

digitaldoug
177 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 05, 2013 22:46 |  #5

Agree with Angolan. Make your way up to Elko lake by way of Gothic especially in late Sept.

+++++++++++++++
Canon 5DII w/RRS L plate (x2), Canon 7D w/Kirk L plate, Canon 6D w/RRS L plate, Canon 50D w/Markin L plate, Zeiss 21 ZE, Zeiss 35/2, Canon 16-35 f4L, Canon 24-70 II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 400L f5.6, Sigma 150-600 Sport, Canon 70-200 f2.8 mkII, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 28 IS, Canon 100L, Canon 85 f1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EX, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, Markin M10, Gitzo 3541LS, Manfrotto 055XPROB - toys, got to love em.

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 03, 2013 23:12 |  #6

Thank you for the great advice on Fall travel to Colorado. I was also thinking of heading to Gunnison Montrose and the Durango areas in late September or early October. Does anyone have an update on the status of fall colors in these areas? I was concerned that the dry conditions might make for an early peak. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,256 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 04, 2013 21:33 |  #7

georgebowman wrote in post #16266216 (external link)
Thank you for the great advice on Fall travel to Colorado. I was also thinking of heading to Gunnison Montrose and the Durango areas in late September or early October. Does anyone have an update on the status of fall colors in these areas? I was concerned that the dry conditions might make for an early peak. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I don't know if that sort of thing is clear until the leaves actually start to change. They are usually pretty darn good every year though.

Flickr (external link)

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 04, 2013 23:27 |  #8

Thanks Patrick! I looks like I need to stay flexible. I'm semi-retired so I could probably head west with a week's notice. Can you recommend a good website to monitor the progress of the aspen color change?

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,256 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 06, 2013 00:33 |  #9

georgebowman wrote in post #16269149 (external link)
Thanks Patrick! I looks like I need to stay flexible. I'm semi-retired so I could probably head west with a week's notice. Can you recommend a good website to monitor the progress of the aspen color change?

The website below will have a thread on the colors. You have to be a member to post, but you can read it without joining. The leaves change here pretty consistently during the last week of September to the first few days of October. They won't change everywhere at the same time, but somewhere in that period something will be turning somewhere in the state. I'm aiming for a few days up there around Sept. 25-30.

http://www.naturephoto​graphers.net/imagecrit​ique/bbs.cgi?a=vf10 (external link)

Flickr (external link)

smmokan
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 10, 2013 16:43 |  #10

I was in Aspen this past weekend and noticed very small patches of aspens changing- but for the most part, nothing is happening yet. Close to 12k feet there were a few small groups that had completely changed over to yellow, but I'd say 98% of the aspens are still completely green. It has actually been a very wet summer for the Colorado high country, so things should be pretty much on schedule this fall. This week we're getting lots of moisture and temps are starting to dip close to freezing, which should help the colors come along.... my guess is that the last week of September or the first week of October is still ideal, which is usually the case.

Follow the Nature Photographers thread that Patrick posted- IMO, that's the best resource out there. It'll contain updates and other good links on where to find the latest and greatest.

Edit: here's a low-res shot I took of the Bells yesterday morning. It'll give you a good idea of what's up there right now:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i53.photobucket​.com/albums/g43/smmoka​n/Bells.jpg (external link)

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 10, 2013 23:07 as a reply to  @ smmokan's post |  #11

Thank you for the information. Your image of Maroon Bells is beautiful. I'm still debating whether I'll be able to make the trip this year. I have a window of opportunity toward the end of the month. I'll monitor Nature Photographer's website for updates and hopefully thing will work out oaky.

smmokan
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 11, 2013 10:08 |  #12

If you can swing it, go. Crested Butte and everything around it is absolutely beautiful this time of year, you won't be sorry. My wife and I were there a month ago but I've already made plans to go again for four days at the end of the month. You'll never see anything like it, I promise.

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 12, 2013 22:12 |  #13

Thanks Steve! I would love to make the trip. Thanks again!

sponsored links

2,323 views & 0 likes for this thread
Crested Butte, CO area opts?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.