Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 27 Aug 2013 (Tuesday) 04:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bringing DSLR to South Africa?

green_tooth
90 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 27, 2013 04:23 |  #1

I will be visiting Johannesburg for 3 weeks (it's a business trip, but I will have some free time), and I am wondering if it is OK for me to bring 5DMKIII.

Is it generally safe to take out DSLR and shoot in the street in Sandton, for example?

I would hate to leave it at home and miss some great shots, but on the other hand I wouldn't want to bring it if there is high probability that I would return home without it. :)

Assembler Code: IBLU - Ignore Basic Laws of Universe | http://planeta-dosade.net (external link) |

sponsored links
Iscariotau
516 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 27, 2013 05:02 |  #2

Get travel insurance, take the camera enjoy it. Dont do anything you wouldnt do in your home town.

Thats my philosophy no matter where I go.

MyFlickr (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 27, 2013 05:40 |  #3

No...
No one in South Africa owns a camera.
They all get stolen.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

green_tooth
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 27, 2013 06:39 |  #4

Touché. :)

I just wanted to hear other people experiences - because travel guide sites are not very helpful (I think they might be blowing things out of proportion). But on the other hand no point of lugging camera there and keep it in a bag, because it is not wise to take photos on the street.

Assembler Code: IBLU - Ignore Basic Laws of Universe | http://planeta-dosade.net (external link) |

Geonerd
542 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2009

Aug 28, 2013 11:35 |  #5

First world problems.... :rolleyes:

If you're THAT worried about your precious FIVE D MARK THREE!!!!!, leave the dumb thing at home and bring your 6 year old Drebel. :cool:

barrie
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 29, 2013 14:32 |  #6

You wont have any problems, we may live in jails because we barricade our selves in for safety but generally if you are street wise you will be able to see if you are going to get hustled, like someone pointed out, take insurance for just in case. we have a beautiful country especially the sunsets and you will be sorry if you dont bring your camera. I was in London 3 weeks ago and i had just as much chance to have my gear nicked as at home in Johannesburg. If you venture into the local shanty areas you are looking to loose much more than you gear. If you get chance ask your hotel about getting to the Lion park, it is only about 30 minutes drive from Sandton and has all sorts of Buck and also lion cubs that you can go into an enclosure with and also lion and cheetah enclosures you can drive through so you can take pictures without any cage bars in the way they are out in the open NOT TAME!!. Hope you have a great time in my country. REALLY, our country isn't THAT bad lol, you will see.

60D, 70-300L is,100-400mm, 50mm 1.4, 15-85mm,18-55mm, 55-250mm,18-55Mkii, 28-135is 100mm 2.8 macro,macro ring light.SLIK pro700dx tripod,SLIK pro pod 600 monopod,SLIK AF1100E ball head and Kenco 1.4 teleconverter and boat loads of inexperience.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 29, 2013 19:41 |  #7

What I find interesting is that someone from Serbia is asking if it's safe to take a camera to South Africa...

People, glasshouses and stones or pots, kettle and black come to mind.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

green_tooth
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 30, 2013 07:25 |  #8

Thanks Barrie, I already brought my camera with me. :) We already arranged some guided tours through the city. I really like the weather here, it is really nice change after scorching 40C.

@Phil:

Actually, we don't have barbed wires, electric fences, carjackings, no-go parts of the city and at night it is as much safe as during the day. Yes, there are lot of firearms around, but murder rate is pretty low (pretty much the same as in the Western Europe), and I think none of that are violent muggings - so it is natural to ask such things after you read the trip advisors for Johannesburg over the internet.

barrie
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 05, 2013 05:36 |  #9

Well i am glad you did and I hope you are enjoying yourself. Clearly there are comments here from people that have never set foot in South Africa, and probably never will.
Dont believe everything the press has to say!!
One day I may even get to visit Serbia, UK has just drained me of all my money so the saving process begins again lol.

60D, 70-300L is,100-400mm, 50mm 1.4, 15-85mm,18-55mm, 55-250mm,18-55Mkii, 28-135is 100mm 2.8 macro,macro ring light.SLIK pro700dx tripod,SLIK pro pod 600 monopod,SLIK AF1100E ball head and Kenco 1.4 teleconverter and boat loads of inexperience.

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 05, 2013 08:23 |  #10

Someone asks advice about visiting a city in another country and is ridiculed. What is this board coming to?

green_tooth
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 08, 2013 16:01 |  #11

barrie wrote in post #16269586 (external link)
Well i am glad you did and I hope you are enjoying yourself...

I am having a blast. :)

This is an awesome country and I must say that most of the stuff you can read on the web is way exaggerated. The scariest things I saw so far are sinister looking bird in Lion and rhino park and a 1.4kg steak at Pepper's chair. :D

sponsored links

3,691 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bringing DSLR to South Africa?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.