Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Sep 2013 (Wednesday) 16:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Everyone always desires more, who feels content?

hrblaine
284 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 05, 2013 11:50 as a reply to  @ post 16270458 |  #31

I should have added: a 40D, a nifty fifty, a 35-135 ($50 on ebay) and a 70-300 IS. Maybe someday I'll want something longer than the 70-300 on a 40D but not today!! :confused:

sponsored links
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 05, 2013 11:54 |  #32

I have absolutely no desire to upgrade my camera, and I haven't changes lenses in a while. But I'll admit to thinking about making lens swaps now and again.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

CaliWalkabout
337 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 05, 2013 13:32 |  #33

The cost associated with further upgrades forces me into a peaceful place.

6D, 17-40L, 24L II, 50L, 100L, 70-300L.

Moin
626 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 05, 2013 13:43 |  #34

I need the 35L, 85L, 70-200L II and some flash equipment to get my nerves to calm down. Got myself covered with a UWA.

flickrr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,220 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 05, 2013 13:44 as a reply to  @ CaliWalkabout's post |  #35

Generally very content; doesn't mean I won't pick up new things (actually used things, like a twin lens reflex camera) in the future, but in regards to improving my photography, that's completely up to me now, not any newly acquired gear.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Sep 05, 2013 13:53 |  #36

I'm semi-content. ;)

I put aside money every pay day for a year just for camera gear so I won't be making any large purchases until next April. I'm not really sure what I'll get next. I am looking forward to the 7D Mk2, if it ends up being a reality and a lens that will get me to 400mm might be in the cards as well.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

lukeH
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 05, 2013 14:05 as a reply to  @ hrblaine's post |  #37

Feeling content is not the American way. If you feel content you get complacent. If you get complacent you get passed by.

sjones
Goldmember
2,220 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 05, 2013 14:23 |  #38

lukeH wrote in post #16270845 (external link)
Feeling content is not the American way. If you feel content you get complacent. If you get complacent you get passed by.

I'm going to assume you are being facetious with this.

icacphotography
612 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 05, 2013 15:08 |  #39

I'm very content with my gear at the moment. I wouldn't mind a 1:1 macro lens but with that said for what I shoot 1:1 isn't needed it'd be nice but sometimes having some context to a photo is nice

Body:50D gripped Magic Lantern'd
Lenses:50mm 1.8,40mm 2.8,28-105 USM II,70-210 F4, 1962 Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 55mm 1.8
Flash: Canon 430 EX
The camera is just a tool - it is not responsible for the picture.

hrblaine
284 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 05, 2013 15:55 |  #40

For the kind of shooting I do, I really have everything I need. Of course a 28-135 IS would be nice to replace the 35-135. :-) And I 'spose it wouldn't kill me to get another body, maybe a 20/30/400D for my 35mm, then I could keep my 70-200 on my 40D. I do have a 10D laying around somewhere, maybe I'll put the 35mm on that. Save some $$, that's the ticket.

lukeH
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 05, 2013 16:52 |  #41

sjones wrote in post #16270894 (external link)
I'm going to assume you are being facetious with this.

only mildly, I rarely am content in my life. I can be content in a singular moment but after that moment I strive to make my experiences better. I could have been content with my old compact digital from about 10 years ago, but I didn't. I kept upgrading and I am amazed at what cameras are capable of doing. I could have been content with my daughter getting accepted into college but we both wanted to do more than get accepted into some random college. My daughter was accepted into Notre Dame, Stanford, and Westpoint(she ended up taking my alma-mater Westpoint). I can not tell you how proud I am of her.

Be content in the moment but never be content in your life.

Dmitriy
247 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 05, 2013 17:03 |  #42

Tommydigi wrote in post #16270220 (external link)
I actually feel I have too much gear, I would be content if I could find a way to happily narrow it down.

Just PMed you my mailing address. Always glad to help.

My Stock Photography (external link) | My Mobile Photography (external link) | My: Google + (external link) , Facebook (external link) , Twitter (external link)
Keywording Tool (external link) for stock photographers | Photo and videography (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,220 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 05, 2013 17:19 |  #43

lukeH wrote in post #16271213 (external link)
only mildly, I rarely am content in my life. I can be content in a singular moment but after that moment I strive to make my experiences better. I could have been content with my old compact digital from about 10 years ago, but I didn't. I kept upgrading and I am amazed at what cameras are capable of doing. I could have been content with my daughter getting accepted into college but we both wanted to do more than get accepted into some random college. My daughter was accepted into Notre Dame, Stanford, and Westpoint(she ended up taking my alma-mater Westpoint). I can not tell you how proud I am of her.

Well, with photography, being content with gear does not automatically correlate to complacency, and in fact, some folks have argued that the ease of digital has made many photographers complacent, if not lazy.

Whether there's any truth to that is irrelevant, because ultimately, whatever camera one uses, complacency's biggest threat is when it affects one's creativity, skill, vision, or any combination of such.

Excelling at photography doesn't inextricably require, by any stretch of the imagination, chasing technology or acquiring the best.

But beyond all of this, I think the word "content" is being used loosely here, as in I'm sure there are a number of folks very happy with what they have.

I use old cameras, and I'm not remotely worried about "getting passed by" just because of the gear that I happily choose to use; as for improving my vision and ability, that's where I continually strive to make myself better.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,198 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 05, 2013 17:24 |  #44

lukeH wrote in post #16271213 (external link)

I have to agree with this, in large part. I know that those who are truly great at something, truly world-class in their particular area of expertise, are very rarely content with their work. They are constantly striving to improve, pushing themselves relentlessly to do better than they've done before. It is the constant pushing of one's self that makes one eventually become great.

If we want to engage in something for enjoyment's sake, or for a bit of a release of sorts, then one can do whatever they are doing with a sense of contenment and complacency (there is a degree to which the meaning of those two terms overlap).

However, if one desperately wants to be one of the best in the world - perhaps one of the best in all of history - at what they do, well, that would be hard to accomplish if one was continually content with where they were at.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,686 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 05, 2013 17:49 |  #45

Tommydigi wrote in post #16270220 (external link)
I actually feel I have too much gear, I would be content if I could find a way to happily narrow it down.

I'm in the same boat and I think I have less gear than you. I would really like a 14-24 uwa + IS + can take filters. The good thing about wanting imaginary gear is that I cant lust after what does not exist. So for now, I'm somewhat content, but should newer gear come out, that would change my state of mind.

a couple of lenses I would like to mix up, but not in a rush.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

sponsored links

10,050 views & 0 likes for this thread
Everyone always desires more, who feels content?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.