Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Sep 2013 (Wednesday) 16:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Everyone always desires more, who feels content?

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Gallery: 2123 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 05, 2013 23:20 |  #61

After 50 yrs of photography, I've finally got some L glass...............am I happy? Too right I am! As a pig in shlt! :-)

Strangely enough though, I'm using, and having, more fun with the rokinon 14mm than my two sets of L. Am I content? I guess so, other than having a brain fart whereby now I've got the camera of my dreams, and the glass, I'm having trouble setting myself an "assignment"..........​.....which is why I'm typing this crap instead of being "out in the field"

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus PenF | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll x 2 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro | 14 -150 | 17mm 1.8 | 9mm BCL | Panasonic 12-32 | 25mm 1.7 | Panasonic Leica 8-18 | Panasonic Leica 100-400 | Godox TT685O speedlite

sponsored links
twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
6,573 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 05, 2013 23:39 |  #62

irishman wrote in post #16271940 (external link)
An old but apt statement:

Amateurs are concerned with equipment. Professionals are concerned with money. Masters are concerned with light.

When I finally got my head wrapped around this saying it changed my photography for the better in big ways...

xgender.net (external link) Miss Olivia "OA" Grey - please refer to me as she/her/Miss
Nikkor 28/2, 35/2.8-PC 55/1.2, 55/3.5 - Voigtländer 50/2.8 - Tamron SP 28-80, SP 60-300, SP 300/5.6 - Pentax SMC Takumar 135/2.5, 200/4 - Lensbaby Composer Pro II w/Sweet35mm & Edge50mm | Canon 5DII | Sigma 12-24 - Canon 24mm TS-E II, 28-105 II, 85/1.8

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,422 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 06, 2013 00:35 |  #63

tkbslc wrote in post #16272001 (external link)
I laugh at all the people that say they are almost there. How many lenses and bodies ago did you start saying that? Everybody is in a constant state of "just one more".

Depends for me if it's in terms of need or want. In terms of need, one more, was a couple ago. Now I am fully into the terms of want and I don't think I will ever satisfy that especially concidering how much more expensive things get for me from where I am now.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

ride5000
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 06, 2013 04:47 |  #64

go navy
beat army

flickr (external link)

5dc w/ee-s, rokinon 85mm f/1.4, rokinon 35mm f/1.4, rokinon 8mm f/3.5, sigma 24 f/1.8, canon 35-135 f/3.5-4.5, canon 50mm f/1.8, nikkor s-auto 50mm f/1.4, tokina 11-16 f/2.8, 430ex2, pcb e640, oc-3, st-e2, pixel knight tr332, DiCAPac WPS10, b+w 10 stop nd, hoya hd cpl, kenko ext. tubes, brolly, diy softbox, etc.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,718 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 06, 2013 05:56 as a reply to  @ post 16271479 |  #65

ed rader wrote in post #16268924 (external link)
i'll be content when they are throwing dirt on me.

Can someone get me a shovel so I can help Ed out, please. ;) :lol:

Tommydigi wrote in post #16270220 (external link)
I actually feel I have too much gear, I would be content if I could find a way to happily narrow it down.

Really? It's called selling what you don't need or use. :lol:

ride5000 wrote in post #16270320 (external link)
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes well you might find
You get what you need

I think you left out the quotes there on that great song, sir.

As for me, I'm as content as content can be. My wife loves me. My girlfriend ;) loves me, my kids love me, and they've all got their hands in my wallet. What could be better? :lol: :lol:

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
11,080 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 06, 2013 06:36 |  #66

FEChariot wrote in post #16272155 (external link)
Depends for me if it's in terms of need or want. In terms of need, one more, was a couple ago. Now I am fully into the terms of want and I don't think I will ever satisfy that especially concidering how much more expensive things get for me from where I am now.

Things got much more expensive me moving to FF. However I am very very happy with the results.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,718 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 06, 2013 07:14 |  #67

My ever watchful sister tries to tell me there are need days and there are want days, and the want days must be fulfilled much less often.

I say hogwash. I get what I need and I get what I want, when I want it. You only go around once. Live it up.

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 06, 2013 07:38 |  #68

I'm content. Haven't wanted/lusted for anymore gear for a while.

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,599 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined May 2010

Sep 06, 2013 08:11 |  #69

Really? It's called selling what you don't need or use.

I know, I've considered selling some gear off to simplify things but I do use everything I have. There are times a lens will sit for months without use but in time it all gets use. Lets be honest the gear is half the fun of photography.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

sjones
Goldmember
2,220 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 06, 2013 08:29 |  #70

lukeH wrote in post #16271422 (external link)
But gear works the same way. While it may not be the reason for the bad pictures you take it may be a reason. To get that pop in a portrait you may need a faster lens. I am not saying that you should spend outside of your means but there are people content with the 18-55 on their T1. If you are happy that is great for you but I could never be content. I know I will always dream of my 200-400 and that will keep me from being truly content but it will not affect my happiness...

I'm am not dismissing the value that gear might offer, but if someone is satisfied using a pinhole camera for his or her whole life, that is fine; it's not being complacent. If someone wants to write a novel with a pencil instead of the latest computer and word processor, that is fine too.

Again, as I noted in my earlier post, "content" is being used here pretty loosely. Whatever word you want to use---content, happy, euphoric, ecstatic---my gear does all I need it to do. If your gear still falls short for you, that's fair enough, you'll need to upgrade, but the absence of NEED for new gear does not universally equate to potential complacency. Your linking technology with art; don't.

Moreover, as I stressed, where I'm not content, in the strictest sense of the word, is in producing compelling photographs through greater creative control and understanding of complex composition, lighting, angles, and timing…basically, the process of expanding my vision---this will likely be a perennial pursuit.

As for your statement: "While it may not be the reason for the bad pictures you take it may be a reason."

No, it is absolutely not the reason; my cameras and lenses are unequivocally innocent when it comes to what I view as a failed photo; this is not even debatable. I think some folks on here have a remarkably difficult time grasping this possibility since, given the gear-centric nature of this site, equipment is often perceived as a reliable nostrum…maybe it's true sometimes, but not always.

Bottom line: image quality is NOT for ALL photographers a primary factor, particularly in terms of self-improvement.

Will I still buy new (old) stuff, as I think I mentioned earlier, yes! Like I said, maybe a TLR camera, or another antiquated 50mm. Will these purchases, by the very intrinsic nature of the procured device, improve my photography---nope. They might inspire different approaches (square format of TLR for example) and different characteristics, but no, their acquisition will not improve my photography, at least in terms of how I define "improve." Besides, if I wanted sharper photos, I'd stop using my 80-year-old lens.

If someone imposed a rule saying that I could only use what I have for the rest of my life (repairs and readjustments included of course), I'd be fine with this…no problem. Because what I want really no longer correlates with what I need, since what I need involves just me, not any gear. And to underscore, I'm just relaying my personal view; other veiws will likely vary greatly.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 06, 2013 10:23 |  #71

ed rader wrote in post #16268924 (external link)
i'll be content when they are throwing dirt on me.

I've got a couple of shovels ready!

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,344 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 06, 2013 12:35 |  #72

sjones wrote in post #16271340 (external link)
I know where you stand on this Tom, and I respect your needs, in that yes, for you, and other photographers, finding better, or perhaps different, gear (like you mentioned earlier in this thread), would help you attain your vision. However, improving one's work is not always linked to constantly upgrading gear, at least not for everyone. That is, where I'm at is not tied to my camera but instead to my ability to see. And in this sense, yes, like you, it is a constant effort to improve.

Steve,

I absolutely agree with all of this - and especially with the statement I bolded (if you'll allow me the liberty of using "bolded" as a verb).

I have striven very hard - with everything that is in me - to improve my wildlife photography over the past several years. And I believe that my work has improved dramatically over that time span. However, I have been using the same gear - the same two cameras and the same three lenses - for 3 1/2 years now, with no upgrades or additions during that time. Hence, gear is not responsible for the improvements during that time.

Yet, I often want to make images that my gear does not allow me to create . . . I do feel that the limitiations of my gear are holding me back.

So, while improving one's imagery is not necessarily linked to upgrading one's gear, there can be times when there is a correlation . . . not from an IQ standpoint, but rather from an "ability to get the shot" standpoint. Image quality is often negligible and, for many, meaningless - so for amny it is not a valid reason for upgrading gear. But, if different gear allows you to create images that express your vision -to get shots that you cannot get with your current gear - then such upgrades should not be underestimated.

For me, getting a 1.6 crop camera opened up many image-making possibilities that were closed to me previously, when I was using a 1.3 crop and a full frame camera. The crop allowed me to capture images that better matched my vision, and facilitated a tremendous "growth spurt" in my efforts to improve.

Now, if there was another piece of gear that could enable another growth spurt in my imagery, I would do whatever I could to get that new gear . . . but I don't believe such a things exists, at least not yet. That is why I have not upgraded anything in the past 3 1/2 years.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,747 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 06, 2013 13:07 |  #73

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16273504 (external link)
Steve,

I absolutely agree with all of this - and especially with the statement I bolded (if you'll allow me the liberty of using "bolded" as a verb).

I have striven very hard - with everything that is in me - to improve my wildlife photography over the past several years. And I believe that my work has improved dramatically over that time span. However, I have been using the same gear - the same two cameras and the same three lenses - for 3 1/2 years now, with no upgrades or additions during that time. Hence, gear is not responsible for the improvements during that time.

Yet, I often want to make images that my gear does not allow me to create . . . I do feel that the limitiations of my gear are holding me back.

So, while improving one's imagery is not necessarily linked to upgrading one's gear, there can be times when there is a correlation . . . not from an IQ standpoint, but rather from an "ability to get the shot" standpoint. Image quality is often negligible and, for many, meaningless - so for amny it is not a valid reason for upgrading gear. But, if different gear allows you to create images that express your vision -to get shots that you cannot get with your current gear - then such upgrades should not be underestimated.

For me, getting a 1.6 crop camera opened up many image-making possibilities that were closed to me previously, when I was using a 1.3 crop and a full frame camera. The crop allowed me to capture images that better matched my vision, and facilitated a tremendous "growth spurt" in my efforts to improve.

Now, if there was another piece of gear that could enable another growth spurt in my imagery, I would do whatever I could to get that new gear . . . but I don't believe such a things exists, at least not yet. That is why I have not upgraded anything in the past 3 1/2 years.

I bet if you had the 70-200Mk2, sigma 200-500F2.8, a pair of 1Dx's, you'de improve a lot in wildlife ;)

pretty sure that's better than using a panasonic FZ200 for wildlife. BTW, you're acknowledging that gear made you go through a growth spurt. This may very well be happening to people going to FF from crop.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

lukeH
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 06, 2013 13:08 |  #74

sjones wrote in post #16272775 (external link)

I'm am not dismissing the value that gear might offer, but if someone is satisfied using a pinhole camera for his or her whole life, that is fine; it's not being complacent. If someone wants to write a novel with a pencil instead of the latest computer and word processor, that is fine too.

Again, as I noted in my earlier post, "content" is being used here pretty loosely. Whatever word you want to use---content, happy, euphoric, ecstatic---my gear does all I need it to do. If your gear still falls short for you, that's fair enough, you'll need to upgrade, but the absence of NEED for new gear does not universally equate to potential complacency. Your linking technology with art; don't.

Moreover, as I stressed, where I'm not content, in the strictest sense of the word, is in producing compelling photographs through greater creative control and understanding of complex composition, lighting, angles, and timing…basically, the process of expanding my vision---this will likely be a perennial pursuit.

As for your statement: "While it may not be the reason for the bad pictures you take it may be a reason."

No, it is absolutely not the reason; my cameras and lenses are unequivocally innocent when it comes to what I view as a failed photo; this is not even debatable. I think some folks on here have a remarkably difficult time grasping this possibility since, given the gear-centric nature of this site, equipment is often perceived as a reliable nostrum…maybe it's true sometimes, but not always.

Bottom line: image quality is NOT for ALL photographers a primary factor, particularly in terms of self-improvement.

Will I still buy new (old) stuff, as I think I mentioned earlier, yes! Like I said, maybe a TLR camera, or another antiquated 50mm. Will these purchases, by the very intrinsic nature of the procured device, improve my photography---nope. They might inspire different approaches (square format of TLR for example) and different characteristics, but no, their acquisition will not improve my photography, at least in terms of how I define "improve." Besides, if I wanted sharper photos, I'd stop using my 80-year-old lens.

If someone imposed a rule saying that I could only use what I have for the rest of my life (repairs and readjustments included of course), I'd be fine with this…no problem. Because what I want really no longer correlates with what I need, since what I need involves just me, not any gear. And to underscore, I'm just relaying my personal view; other veiws will likely vary greatly.

The reason people use pinhole cameras is cause they are not satisfied with what they get from tradition photography because the time investment in pinhole photography is greater than the cost of an inexpensive digital or film camera. They use that technology because they are not content with modern photography.
There is a big difference between being able to use the gear you have and the locations that are available and being content with those things. I lived in the mountains of Germany for 3 years, beautiful areas that I could take beautiful landscapes of but that didn't mean I was content there. I wanted to see france, switzerland, and Italy. I also had a perfectly fine camera that could take perfectly fine photos but that didnt mean I didnt want more. I also took perfectly fine pictures that for all intents and purposes were technically fine but that didnt mean I didnt strive to learn more.
If I never made enough money to buy new gear and if there was no way to buy old gear that might fill a gap I could be perfectly happy with what I have but those are not issues so why should I ever be content. I want to learn more, go to more places, and buy more gear.

lukeH
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 06, 2013 13:14 |  #75

ride5000 wrote in post #16272439 (external link)
go navy
beat army

This might be the most offensive thing I have read on the internet in weeks.

sponsored links

10,088 views & 0 likes for this thread
Everyone always desires more, who feels content?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.