Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Sep 2013 (Wednesday) 15:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do ya want PS CC

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,220 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Sep 05, 2013 09:04 |  #16

nicksan wrote in post #16268340 (external link)
You can still get it for $19.99 for a single application. This is what I subscribed to.

Being someone who loves to pay twice as much as other people, to get half as much, I will get right on that.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links
pknight
Goldmember
2,655 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 05, 2013 11:20 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #17

Introductory pricing is usually a trap. The Adobe CC EULA specifies that they can raise prices at any time, and once they have enough users hooked into CC you have to expect that they will.

I am not so sure about Lightroom moving to the CC only. Adobe seems to view individual photographers differently than other customers, and Elements and LR might remain as permanent license options for that reason. Perhaps if CC provides the steady cash flow they want, they will be more willing to provide what might be considered "consumer" products under the old model.

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

Unregistered.Coward
884 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 05, 2013 12:26 |  #18

digital paradise wrote in post #16268182 (external link)
Also I'm new to this cloud thing so I have another question.

Photoshop CC is not a cloud application. It's installed locally, it simply needs an active internet connection to call home periodically and validate the install.

You're essentially renting the software on a month to month basis.

....the best camera is the one you have on you at the time.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 05, 2013 14:54 |  #19

Dan Marchant wrote in post #16269969 (external link)
Being someone who loves to pay twice as much as other people, to get half as much, I will get right on that.

I understand the frustration. It would be better if they opened it up to everyone and not have the CS3 requirement but it is what it is.

I look at the $19.95 I pay monthly as a business expense. Ultimately it's a $120 per year difference compared to $9.95 a month plan. That's not a big deal at all for me. I would rather worry about something else than paying $120 extra for CC.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,493 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 05, 2013 16:56 |  #20

Unregistered.Coward wrote in post #16270597 (external link)
Photoshop CC is not a cloud application. It's installed locally, it simply needs an active internet connection to call home periodically and validate the install.

You're essentially renting the software on a month to month basis.

Thanks. Kinda wonder why Adobe would not come up with some way to let licensed CS6 and LR5 users just connect instead of installing it again and requiring to copy over actions, presets, etc.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 06, 2013 05:42 |  #21

So I've seen that "The Cloud for Photographers" will offer Lightroom and Photoshop for $10/month?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,220 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Sep 06, 2013 06:44 |  #22

nicksan wrote in post #16270956 (external link)
I understand the frustration. It would be better if they opened it up to everyone and not have the CS3 requirement but it is what it is.

Just seems they have totally missed the target.
1. A person who bought CS3 and never paid for any further upgrades and never bought Lightroom gets access to this offer.
2. A person who bought LR 1 and then paid to upgrade to LR 2, 3, 4 and now 5 doesn't get access to the offer.
3. The offer is aimed at Photographers. PS is a digital imaging tool, not specifically a photography tool. Lightroom is specifically a Photography tool. Many of the people who own eligible copies of PS may have little or no interest in Photography. Everyone who owns Lightroom has an interest in Photography. Just seems logical to me that the a "Photography" package should be targeted at/open to the photographers, rather than the digital imaging folks.

I look at the $19.95 I pay monthly as a business expense. Ultimately it's a $120 per year difference compared to $9.95 a month plan. That's not a big deal at all for me. I would rather worry about something else than paying $120 extra for CC.

For me there are two separate issues here...
Renting software is a very smart business move. It helps smooth out cashflow and you get access to expensive software now at a cost of just $20 and by the time you finish paying for it in a years time the cash will be worth less. You will need to pay again next year but the reality is you would probably have bought the next upgrade so no loss there. The fact that you may be paying more in the long run doesn't worry me - the cash-flow benefits still make it a good business move.

What I don't agree with is the view that paying an extra $120 (more than your competitor across town) is a good business move. Worse still it isn't actually $120, because he is getting PS & LR. So to compare you would actually have to pay $120 + the cost of LR more than your competitor to get the same thing. That to me is something a business should be concerned about.

Conclusion
Renting software = good business
Paying more than competitor for less = bad business.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,493 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 06, 2013 07:16 |  #23

Unlike CS6 which marks the end of paying for a license Adobe is still offering this with LR. I guess most people can afford the $150 for LR.

Just to add I started with CS2 and have always up graded right to CS6. That is probably around $700 in upgrades. Started with LR4 and upgraded to 5 but a person who has only CS3 gets the same deal. Not a big deal but you would think Adobe would pro rate that for loyal customers.

If this was my living I'm pretty sure I'd take a serious look at it. Even if Adobe doubles the price in 2015 it is still a write off. I have until December and I'll see what happens. LR is still a stand alone and the day licensed CS6 is no longer getting updates there is always Elements. Of course one day they may pull licensing from LR as well.

Image Editing OK

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 06, 2013 08:17 |  #24

I subscribe to CC and just got done chatting with Adobe rep. According to him my subscription will automatically change to the "photographers package" I asked to make sure and he said "yes, you are correct. You do not have to do anything, it will be automatic on Sep 17". we will see ;)

My FLickrPage (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,493 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 06, 2013 08:34 |  #25

Keep us updated.

Image Editing OK

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 06, 2013 08:37 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #26

Will do. :)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 07, 2013 07:34 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #16269849 (external link)
The success or failure of Adobe fleeing to the cloud will depend largely upon it's competitors.

If companies like Corel do a good job of upgrading, maintaining, providing support, effective marketing, and maintaining the current pricing structure of apps such as paint shop pro, people will migrate to it and continue to do so.

If they and other competitors do not, Adobe's competitors will continue to be "also rans."

I question why these competitors didn't put in the resources and efforts over the last 10 years to compete against Adobe. Now they want my money when for the last 10 years they didn't make an effort to compete. No thanks, I'd rather give my support to the product that revolutionized digital photography and not to the companies that sit on the ass waiting for an opportune to strike.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 07, 2013 07:35 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

Dan Marchant wrote in post #16269969 (external link)

Well those other people already paid by purchasing PS and most likely upgrading a few times. Why should you get the same deal as some more loyal customers.

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 07, 2013 08:11 |  #29

Hogloff wrote in post #16275744 (external link)
Well those other people already paid by purchasing PS and most likely upgrading a few times. Why should you get the same deal as some more loyal customers.

For the same reason that Ford does not give previous owners a better deal (unless it is a special offer) :) I am a previous owner of cs4, 5 and 6. If I want an item I expect to pay whatever the product costs. I am not special or any better than someone that is buying for the first time. We both end up with the same product.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 07, 2013 08:20 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

alann wrote in post #16275800 (external link)
For the same reason that Ford does not give previous owners a better deal (unless it is a special offer) :) I am a previous owner of cs4, 5 and 6. If I want an item I expect to pay whatever the product costs. I am not special or any better than someone that is buying for the first time. We both end up with the same product.

You are wrong here. My Honda dealer does give me a better deal that joe off the street because I've bought 4 cars off him and had my service work done through him. In other words a loyal customer.

Do you not give one of your loyal customers that brings you lots of revenue better deals than a one time never to be seen again customer?

I also get discounts or free nights stays with the hotels I stay at and free flights with the airlines I fly with.

It's called customer loyalty and in many businesses, there is a reward for being a loyal customer. I see nothing wrong with Adobe rewarding their loyal customers

sponsored links

4,138 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do ya want PS CC
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.