Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 06 Sep 2013 (Friday) 12:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

speed limiting factors in lightroom

djlb
171 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 06, 2013 12:29 |  #1

so, I upgraded my computer. I now have:

Intel i7-4470
Asus P9DWS mobo
8gig ram
Samsung 840 pro 512meg for OS
Another Samsung 840 pro 512meg for lightroom catalog
Seagate 4TB spinner for photos.

this computer is blisteringly fast in booting
HOWEVER, something seems to be limiting speed of lightroom

ideas what???:rolleyes:

more /faster memory???

sponsored links
professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 06, 2013 14:53 |  #2

Your lightroom cache file?

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

ekfaysal
418 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 06, 2013 15:26 |  #3

i wanted to move to light room as well. but i don't find it fast enough. Or maybe i know too little :D

My INSTAGRAM (external link)

Facebook page (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 06, 2013 15:28 |  #4

There are numerous "tips" to speeding up the performance of LR. Here's a relatively recent post:

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=16021981&pos​tcount=801

Take some time in perusing the Lightroom "sticky" and you will see a lot of discussion!

A couple considerations:

1) Remember that today's photo software is dealing with "modern" cameras with resolutions and file sizes that are much "bigger" than older cameras. The software has to "keep up" with the newer cameras and the increased file and resolution factors, but that can be a challenge. Also, our systems have to "keep up". For example, your system, as you say, has 8 GB of RAM. While that can suffice, for the challenges of the newer cameras and software, I'd say you would do better with at least 16 GB RAM!

2) Lightroom 5 has had some issues with certain functions. This can be common with new releases where they are grappling with both newer cameras and new features and developments -- sometimes a new release has to be updated several times in order to address "bugs" and such. Adobe has put out a "release candidate" of LR5.2 which supposedly addresses some issues (it's a release candidate meaning that it won't automatically upgrade your installation, you have to "manually" download and install it). Give it a try, don't give up!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

djlb
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 06, 2013 16:10 |  #5

the LR cache is on the same drive as the catalog

even when hammering LR is only uses 4gig RAM
what makes me wonder if I need faster RAM

much to my great shock, when I was hammering the computer and LR the other night the computer even parked some of the cores!
the computer treats each of the threads as a CPU, so shows as 8 CPUs, even though the i7 only has 4 cores.

perhaps LR is just badly coded?!?!?!

tim
Light Bringer
50,968 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 06, 2013 16:54 |  #6

It's very unlikely to be RAM speed, that makes little practical difference, only to benchmarks. There are two or three levels of very fast cache memory between the CPU and the RAM.

Check total memory use to make sure it's not swapping anything to disk - for example if Photoshop is open it grabs heaps of memory, and people often allocate too much RAM. The only thing that's not perfect is a little more RAM can be helpful.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 06, 2013 20:23 |  #7

1. Have the catalog and previews on your SSD. Just be certain to manually delete backups every once in awhile to keep the folder small.

2. For your Preview Cache settings:
a) set the standard preview size to a number that is equal to or greater than the horizontal resolution number for your monitor (my monitor is 1920 x 1200, so it's set to 2048)
b) set the preview quality to High
c) set Automatically discard 1:1 previews to 1 week or 30 days (not never or 1 day)

3. Under Preferences set your Camera Raw Cache setting to something like 25GB

4. You don't need much more than 8GB RAM, but 16 doesn't hurt if you are multi-tasking with something a bit more RAM hungry in the background. LR does use RAM inefficiently when doing massive amounts of meta-data updates or publishing many folders to your on-line portfolio (like Smugmug). Also, when publishing it's taking your RAW file and converting to jpeg, re-sizing and sharpening ... so it's not exactly a low resource activity.

I have 32GB RAM which is definitely overkill ... but it was cheap IMO. I've also used the XMP profile in my Asus Bios to get 1600 instead of 1333. It's easy and safe (CPU and memory was designed to do it), so why not? However, increasing RAM from 16 to 32GB and frequency from 1333 to 1600 only yields a tiny improvement over what I've provided in 1-3 above.

I also turn off "Show splash screen during startup" ... not really a speed setting, but it's annoying for me.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

sponsored links

853 views & 0 likes for this thread
speed limiting factors in lightroom
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.