Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 02 Sep 2013 (Monday) 15:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Punk Show

stephen89
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 02, 2013 15:40 |  #1

Hi Everyone, im new to the forum and thought id share my most recent set of photos from a show i went to on wednesday. Its a small punk show from a little venue in down town pomona. My set up for these shot was completely stock. i really really want to upgrade my flash to get rid of those sharp shadows. Im still really new to photography so feel free to give me as much impute as you want. im always trying to find out new tips to help me with this stuff. i only posted a select few photos from this set and the rest you can find on my flicker.

apathean//fissure//col​ombian necktie//bone dance//globe and beast//aladdin jr 8/28/13 (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7420/9629257293_a836fef5fe_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7408/9629185415_32973ed7a6_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5443/9629126601_8f3947f7db_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/9632318508_0e89269771_z.jpg

Canon Rebel t2i - Canon efs 18-55mm (stock lens) - Canon efs 55-250mm telephoto

sponsored links
onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 02, 2013 17:58 |  #2

I think number 2 is a keeper, while the others have compositional and tonal problems. You may have dragged the shutter just a wee bit too much in number 2, but somehow it's given the photo a nice sense of energy. The first photo is a good moment but I feel your POV is too low and too front-on, with the resulting head blending into the pedal board becoming problematic from a compositional perspective. In cases like that, shooting from the side tends to work better.

Welcome to the forum. I'm kinda newish here myself.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

stephen89
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 07, 2013 17:23 |  #3

onona wrote in post #16262225 (external link)
I think number 2 is a keeper, while the others have compositional and tonal problems. You may have dragged the shutter just a wee bit too much in number 2, but somehow it's given the photo a nice sense of energy. The first photo is a good moment but I feel your POV is too low and too front-on, with the resulting head blending into the pedal board becoming problematic from a compositional perspective. In cases like that, shooting from the side tends to work better.

Welcome to the forum. I'm kinda newish here myself.

Thanks for the input. I struggle sometimes with these shots because the rooms can be so dark at times and it gets hard to keep that shutter speed as quick as id like it. I dont like to run the ISO to high because id like to keep the noise down as much as possible, i think i was running 3200 most of this show. I have another shot of the kid with the pedal board in my album i linked to up on top. I did some Photoshopping with the colors and tones for these images, i thought i did ok, but im still pretty new to all this. How would you suggest I can improve the tone and composition next time? Thanks again. :)

Canon Rebel t2i - Canon efs 18-55mm (stock lens) - Canon efs 55-250mm telephoto

Carzee
Cream of the Crop
6,528 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 07, 2013 17:35 |  #4

Good start.
Get the flash off the camera and on manual. Dial it right down to the minimum you can get away with ..... and tape an amber gel over it. That's how I handled it. Get a wide prime and zone focus. Get a portrait prime for band shots off stage.
If you get on top of low light shoots you can do .... Anything.

Having a bad day? Feeling down? Bantar Gebang Attitude Enhancement Images (external link)

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 07, 2013 18:08 |  #5

stephen89 wrote in post #16276963 (external link)
Thanks for the input. I struggle sometimes with these shots because the rooms can be so dark at times and it gets hard to keep that shutter speed as quick as id like it. I dont like to run the ISO to high because id like to keep the noise down as much as possible, i think i was running 3200 most of this show. I have another shot of the kid with the pedal board in my album i linked to up on top. I did some Photoshopping with the colors and tones for these images, i thought i did ok, but im still pretty new to all this. How would you suggest I can improve the tone and composition next time? Thanks again. :)

You were shooting at 3200 ISO even with the flash? That's a little strange. Or is that when you're not using the flash?

When I mentioned tonal issues, what I was talking about is tone as a compositional element. It's a kinda tricky one - in painting we talk about chiaroscuro, the balance between light and dark tones in a painting, and the same applies to photography. Basically, it's about the spread of tonal values across your frame; your third image is an example of a very cluttered frame, due to the distribution of light and dark in your image, and the result of a photo where the focus of the image is unclear. In other words, you don't really know where to look, what the focal point is meant to be. It's one of the reasons why concert photography can be pretty tough, but after some practice, we learn patience, and when to click the shutter when the lighting is right, and when the performers are positioned for optimal placement in the composition.

Which brings me to the broader topic of composition itself. Again, this is a somewhat tricky beast that takes most people a while to master, especially if you have no art background or training. Learning where to place your subjects in frame for maximum impact while also simultaneously taking into account other elements like the lighting and the performer's pose and demeanour, is an art in itself. I'd recommend starting by doing some simple google searches on things like "photographic composition" and reading up on basic rules like the rule of thirds, which is the easiest compositional rule to implement in your shooting, and one that tends to be really effective.

Shooting live shows definitely takes some practice, so just stick with it. Shooting dark venues like this is a real trial by fire and if you can manage them, you'll do fine.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

BJWOK
Cream of the Crop
5,921 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 25, 2017 18:53 as a reply to  @ onona's post |  #6

Onona, I've shot ISO 52,100 with flash at a show - it's provides an interesting difference: https://youtu.be/L2ezN​hyXqtE (external link)

OP, I recon you nailed it on 2 and would encourage you to slow the shutter down like you have here (if you are gonna shoot with flash that is).

Nice first (I'm assuming) set? I know this is an old thread, but did you shoot more shows after this one?

My name is Benon (BJWOK are my initials) :)
www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM CC & LIGHTROOM CC CLASSIC PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Benon Koebsch - Photographer (external link) (Facebook)
Gives A Minute (external link) (YouTube channel)

sponsored links

1,360 views & 1 like for this thread
Punk Show
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.