Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Sep 2013 (Saturday) 01:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Instagram style shots

NCHANT
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 07, 2013 01:45 |  #1

I have noticed this happening quite a lot lately, I post a nice recent shot onto Facebook to replace my cover shot or whatever, and receive a 1 or 2 likes from friends.

Now I run that same shot through Instagram, and within 5 minutes there's 20 likes?

It's sad really that most people these days deem a photograph with Instagram like filters is just awesome, and worthy of more likes and comments, than a nicely shot, well processed original photo.

Do you guys encounter this? I don;t really have a big problem with it, more funny than anything.

6D x 2 | TM SP 35mm ƒ1.4 | 50mm ƒ1.8 | 85mm ƒ1.8 | 24-105mm ƒ4L USM | 135mm ƒ2L | 200mm ƒ2.8L II | 17-40mm ƒ4L | Sy 24mm ƒ1.4 | Sy XP 14mm ƒ2.4 Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 07, 2013 08:33 |  #2

What's wrong with Instagram filters? I've not yet used it myself but have seen plenty of photos done with it that I liked.

Being a purist over colour defeats the purpose of photography as an artistic medium. Imagine if Vermeer or Turner had stuck to realistic, accurate colour schemes in their paintings instead of opting for a stylistic route.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,281 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 07, 2013 09:20 as a reply to  @ onona's post |  #3

...why use instagram if you dislike it ???

sjones
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 07, 2013 09:45 as a reply to  @ ONE30's post |  #4

If a photograph looks good, it looks good. Doesn't really make a difference how it got the way it got.

Instagram is just a push of the button? Well, what do you think Photoshop is compared to doing a wet print in a traditional darkroom, or moreover, glass plates out in the field?

July 2019-July 2020 (external link)
Today's Lesson: A rangefinder is not a DSLR and vice versa.

NCHANT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 07, 2013 19:47 |  #5

I never said I disliked Instagram, I just think the effects can be a bit gimmicky - however they produce a VERY low resolution image, which isn't very useful.

The point I mean in this post, is the general public see an Instagram picture as being better than the original picture.

6D x 2 | TM SP 35mm ƒ1.4 | 50mm ƒ1.8 | 85mm ƒ1.8 | 24-105mm ƒ4L USM | 135mm ƒ2L | 200mm ƒ2.8L II | 17-40mm ƒ4L | Sy 24mm ƒ1.4 | Sy XP 14mm ƒ2.4 Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 07, 2013 20:04 |  #6

I use a Polaroid SX-70 when I want the Instagram effects.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 08, 2013 04:49 |  #7

I guess I'm one of the small minority who find Instagram garish. Or soft. Or grainy. Or all three.

It was someone on this forum who described Instagram as taking unintentionally crap pictures and making them look intentionally crap. Harsh, but maybe a grain of truth?

~ Wallace
Gear List

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 08, 2013 04:57 |  #8

NCHANT wrote in post #16277268 (external link)
The point I mean in this post, is the general public see an Instagram picture as being better than the original picture.

Who, exactly, is this "general public" of which you speak? You seem to be creating a division between photographers and everyone else, and assuming it's everyone else that likes Instagram.

At the end of the day, an image is what it is. If people like certain kinds of colours and a stylised "look", then so what?

In your original post, you said:

It's sad really that most people these days deem a photograph with Instagram like filters is just awesome, and worthy of more likes and comments, than a nicely shot, well processed original photo.

I haven't seen your work, but maybe your unprocessed photos just look boring? The thing about Instagram is that it adds a stylistic edge which kinda can spruce up an otherwise dull image.

Leigh

NCHANT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 08, 2013 06:15 |  #9

onona wrote in post #16278070 (external link)
Who, exactly, is this "general public" of which you speak? You seem to be creating a division between photographers and everyone else, and assuming it's everyone else that likes Instagram.

At the end of the day, an image is what it is. If people like certain kinds of colours and a stylised "look", then so what?

In your original post, you said:

I haven't seen your work, but maybe your unprocessed photos just look boring? The thing about Instagram is that it adds a stylistic edge which kinda can spruce up an otherwise dull image.

Thanks, ill take that a a critique as I'm sure you've clicked my Flickr link in my sig.
Sorry if I have hit a nerve...

There is no 'division' that I am making, just an observation.

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 08, 2013 06:42 |  #10

NCHANT wrote in post #16278122 (external link)
Thanks, ill take that a a critique as I'm sure you've clicked my Flickr link in my sig.
Sorry if I have hit a nerve...

There is no 'division' that I am making, just an observation.

I haven't seen your work. Why the assumption? I actually have signatures hidden in my options as I find all the bragging about gear signatures tedious, and all the little red Ls are distracting.

You haven't hit a nerve at all. I just find this elitism about things like Instagram bizarre. It's all this focus on cameras and technique and not about the final image. Sometimes strong stylistic filtering does improve photos, and the fact that a lot of people like them does go to show that they're effective.

Leigh

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 08, 2013 10:16 |  #11

Hey, I have an idea!

How about posting a "Before Instagram" and "After Instagram" pics and tell us what you like and don't like?!:)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

PMGphotog
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 08, 2013 10:31 |  #12

I'm torn on the whole end result image V the creative route taken to make the image thing. I think that as photographers we see the whole process from start to finish as a journey. Maybe we like to take that journey slowly so that the end result seems more rewarding. While a camera phone pic ran through instagram might look like a short cut. And a bit of an easy one at that.

The way I rationalise it is this : If I spend time organising the elements in my shot, then work on my exposure and lighting, then spend some time in post processing getting it perfect, then I have had a journey and learned something new. If I took a shot then ran it through a filter and people liked the image, I'd be asking myself why they liked it and if any of that was down to my work or the filter's. And did I learn anything out of it, or even more so, will it help me make better images next time?

Personally and on balance I prefer shots people have put work into with some kind of vision beforehand as opposed to stuff that has just been filtered to make it look cool.

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/ (external link)

Magnus3D
Goldmember
1,528 posts
Gallery: 324 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 08, 2013 10:47 |  #13

I can't say i have noticed anything like that, but then i do keep the real photographs separated from the more toyphotographs by Instagram completly and i have a different audience for both types of photos. Instagram is only for my cellphone photos, no real photos are ever going to be ruined by it.

/ Magnus

| Lots of cheap camera gear |

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 08, 2013 13:36 |  #14

Pat McGuire wrote in post #16278580 (external link)
I'm torn on the whole end result image V the creative route taken to make the image thing. I think that as photographers we see the whole process from start to finish as a journey. Maybe we like to take that journey slowly so that the end result seems more rewarding. While a camera phone pic ran through instagram might look like a short cut. And a bit of an easy one at that.

The way I rationalise it is this : If I spend time organising the elements in my shot, then work on my exposure and lighting, then spend some time in post processing getting it perfect, then I have had a journey and learned something new. If I took a shot then ran it through a filter and people liked the image, I'd be asking myself why they liked it and if any of that was down to my work or the filter's. And did I learn anything out of it, or even more so, will it help me make better images next time?

Personally and on balance I prefer shots people have put work into with some kind of vision beforehand as opposed to stuff that has just been filtered to make it look cool.

But why does the process ultimately matter at all? What you're describing doesn't really justify the kind of derision with which Instagram is often regarded. To me, the only thing that matters is the final image: is it good, or not? If it's good, I just couldn't possibly care less about how it was shot, I just care about the end result. And if it isn't good, then I don't care because it just doesn't matter.

But then I find a lot of attitudes in the photography world difficult to wrap my head around, like the obsession with gear. Again, I care about the photos, not the equipment used to take them. It's not that the gear is completely irrelevant, but I think gear is only worth discussing when there's a technical fault or some other issue that needs resolving. Other than that, it's simply a tool used to capture an image. Much like Instagram is just a tool.

Leigh

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 08, 2013 13:54 |  #15

What is the instagram look? I know this is a generalization, but is it considered stuff thats intentionally lo-fi? I didnt see anything like that in your flickr stream.

sponsored links

5,606 views & 0 likes for this thread
Instagram style shots
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.