Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 14:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Give photos as a gift, they and up in a magazine

jwhite65
440 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 06, 2013 08:19 |  #46

What would suck is if the magazine paid the friend for the photos...

Jeff
http://www.jeffwhiteph​otography.com (external link)
5D MkIII | 5D MkII | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.4 | 600EX-RT (3) | ST-E3-RT

sponsored links
Fester
814 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 06, 2013 08:25 |  #47

So the way I read it. Don't hate the paparazi, hate the magazines for buying the photos!
But thats like a new thread....

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 06, 2013 11:08 |  #48

cdifoto wrote in post #16272556 (external link)
All true, but of course OP would have to be willing to pull a dick move and take the friend to court.

Well if the friend sold the photos that were a gift, then the friend has pulled the first dick move.

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
21,044 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 06, 2013 12:09 |  #49

the flying moose wrote in post #16273270 (external link)
Well if the friend sold the photos that were a gift, then the friend has pulled the first dick move.

The friend might not have understood the situation. Most people don't distinguish between a physical object and the intellectual-property rights that, in theory, travel with it.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 06, 2013 12:38 |  #50

Why would you sue the friend? Is the friend the person who ran photos in a magazine without first checking on rights?

And why would you sue anyone? There was a misunderstanding, the copyright owner would like to be suitably compensated for his work and effort that the magazine benefited from. Really doesn't have to start off as a horribly complex issue.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 07, 2013 13:07 |  #51

Some good responses and especially from the OP. he learned his lesson.

But Thomas has good points. The magazine has its own responsibility and OP can request compensation.

I actually think the friend would probably agree and not have any problem with this. The issue is between the OP and the magazine. The friend is out of the loop, unless he sold them to the magazine, that would be awkward, but still the magazine knows what it should do.

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 07, 2013 13:10 |  #52

[QUOTE=Luckless;162684​28]

Acetoolguy wrote in post #16268365 (external link)
Every bit of copyright law I've ever seen before has been rather clear that things like copyright transfers require fairly formalized documentations. Just because you give copies of the photos does not mean you've also given the rights to said photos as well.

I say send an invoice to the magazine for usage, along with your contact info. Write a polite letter, apologize for the confusion, and include some questions about possibly working with them again in the future.

At best you get paid and the magazine sends some work your way. At worst you make things awkward with a friend for awhile.

You don't need to involve lawyers to deal with copyright violations, and you don't need to run head first into a fight to the death with them either.

DO NOT apologize for any confusion. You, the OP are not confused. In fact you are very clear in what happened. Let them apologize to you, then pay you.

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 07, 2013 14:33 |  #53

stillinamerica wrote in post #16276461 (external link)
DO NOT apologize for any confusion. You, the OP are not confused. In fact you are very clear in what happened. Let them apologize to you, then pay you.

Yes, because acting like a jerk makes people oh so happy to go along and not only give you an easy time but help ensure you get what you want/deserve.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 07, 2013 16:56 |  #54

What about not apologizing for something you didn't do makes you a jerk???? Confused on that one.
Apologizing in this situation admits error. Think about things in context.

rx7speed
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 08, 2013 01:33 |  #55

Luckless wrote in post #16276605 (external link)
Yes, because acting like a jerk makes people oh so happy to go along and not only give you an easy time but help ensure you get what you want/deserve.

I would guess that the magazine knows what they did and knows the legality of it. If that is the case is it really the OP's job to applogize to them?

digital: 7d 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, 17-55 2.8 IS

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 08, 2013 03:34 |  #56

Here's a similar example. Say you get something fairly expensive as a gift and for some reason decide to sell it. Is the person who gave it to you entitled to a commission on it? By the logic set forth in this thread, then yes.

In real life, I would say no. I would say that informal rules of being polite though say the actor should have asked permission to submit those to the magazine or what kind of compensation to ask for.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

rx7speed
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 08, 2013 10:40 |  #57

My own opinion is little in this has to really do with the actor friend. To me it isn't about this being given as a gift, or an issue really of any sort with the friend.

The magazine on the other side. A company that by all means should know about copyright and the rules of posting other peoples works should of known and they should of denied taking the images and publishing them unless they worked out a deal with the photog. It seems that they had some idea who the photographer was as they did put a credit up for him, but they should still go forth and contact the photographer to work out a deal for the work. They are the ones who published hte images, they are the ones who are now going to make money on the photographers work, they are the ones who are mass distributing his work. The problem lies with them, not the friend that the 'tog gave the photos to.

digital: 7d 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, 17-55 2.8 IS

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
21,044 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 08, 2013 11:26 |  #58

Luxornv wrote in post #16277989 (external link)
Here's a similar example. Say you get something fairly expensive as a gift and for some reason decide to sell it. Is the person who gave it to you entitled to a commission on it? By the logic set forth in this thread, then yes.

There's a big difference. The "something" in the OP's case is intellectual property. It comes with a copyright. The OP's friend didn't just sell or give away a thing, although he may have thought that was what he was doing.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 08, 2013 12:47 |  #59

rx7speed wrote in post #16277871 (external link)
I would guess that the magazine knows what they did and knows the legality of it. If that is the case is it really the OP's job to applogize to them?

No, it isn't his job to apologize, but starting off with that tone greatly helps to lower everyone's defensiveness and increases a person's desire to side with you. The goal is to get paid, not win a battle and make enemies.

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,532 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 10, 2013 06:28 |  #60

Whenever I provide digital image files either given or sold, I always include them in a delivery memo that has text similar to this: These images, or copies thereof may not be sold by you, gifted, bartered, or provided to others in trade or in exchange for goods or for services under the terms of this license. Your use of these images is non-exclusive, IE the photographer reserves the right to sell these photos to others provided they will not be used to compete with products sold or made by.......

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

10,769 views & 0 likes for this thread
Give photos as a gift, they and up in a magazine
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.