Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Sep 2013 (Monday) 04:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Disappointed :(

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,707 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 09, 2013 06:35 |  #16

Double check to be certain you are disabling the RAW when testing the S3 mode.

Since this is a paintball scenario, are you shooting with AI Servo focusing enabled? That can kill the burst rate.

sponsored links
paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 09, 2013 06:38 |  #17

John from PA wrote in post #16280982 (external link)
Double check to be certain you are disabling the RAW when testing the S3 mode.

Since this is a paintball scenario, are you shooting with AI Servo focusing enabled? That can kill the burst rate.

For the most part yes when the game is fast paced, but for the slower games I do manual focus. Haven't got the coordination yet worked out between the zoom/focus together, did practice a bit with it. Some shots.... ya I'll save you the trouble ha!

I will double check that tonight when I get home! Thanks for the tip!

Camera(s): 7D, (wishing for a 5dm3)
Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5
Cards: 16GB/32Gb SanDisks CF

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,707 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 09, 2013 06:46 |  #18

Just to make sure you understand "burst" you might review the content at http://learn.usa.canon​.com …tanding_burst_r​ates.shtml (external link).

Raylon
Goldmember
1,078 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 09, 2013 06:48 |  #19

abhphotography wrote in post #16280984 (external link)
For the most part yes when the game is fast paced, but for the slower games I do manual focus. Haven't got the coordination yet worked out between the zoom/focus together, did practice a bit with it. Some shots.... ya I'll save you the trouble ha!

I will double check that tonight when I get home! Thanks for the tip!

If it's a slow game there is no reason for manual focusing. I wouldn't bother with it. Just learn to use the AF effectively. Also I wouldn't disable AI Servo unless you want a bunch of blurry photos. There should be a setting on the T5i that prioritizes FPS over AF Accuracy if you really need the FPS.

Like others have said, make sure you are disabling RAW while turning on JPEG, not just enabling JPEG and then shoot with both. Also as others have said, I think the bigger issue here is good anticipation. It may seem like complete randomness when things happen, but there is a pattern you will learn and be able to anticipate things.

7D l Canon 70-200 f/4L IS l Canon 85mm f/1.8 l ∑ 17-50 f/2.8 l Canon 50mm f/1.8 II l S95
Full Gear List and Marketplace Feedback
My SmugMug (external link)

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 09, 2013 06:48 |  #20

abhphotography wrote in post #16280933 (external link)
Oh, I have IS on because I don't have a mono/tri-pod yet (its on my list!). Might be part of my problem. I do know that my shutter speed's were faster than 1/500 however I don't remember exactly where I was.

Appreciate the help and thoughts! You guys are great.

I use all SanDisk Extreme cards 30MB/s both 32 and 64. I know, using such large cards is bad, which is why I picked up the 2 32gb's. The 64gb was a pretty good deal and was hard to pass up. I purchased them with my camera equipment at Best Buy (please dont shoot me! I have a good credit line with them, which is why I bought it)

If your shutter is that fast, the IS isn't needed.

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,707 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 09, 2013 06:50 |  #21

The guy that wrote the link I provided in post #18 (see the number in right corner of individual posts) also has a good video on his website (http://www.eduardoange​l.com …nderstanding-burst-rates/ (external link)).

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 09, 2013 06:58 |  #22

John from PA wrote in post #16280994 (external link)
Just to make sure you understand "burst" you might review the content at http://learn.usa.canon​.com …tanding_burst_r​ates.shtml (external link).

Yup, I knew some of that part (what FPS is), but I didn't know that some of the advanced settings could cause an issue. I will go through my camera again and make sure to turn off some of those advanced features if they are on. I poked around on Google a bit to see if maybe it was something I was doing wrong or what not and didn't come up with any good solid leads.

Camera(s): 7D, (wishing for a 5dm3)
Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5
Cards: 16GB/32Gb SanDisks CF

Shake ­ N ­ Vac
520 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 09, 2013 07:04 |  #23

abhphotography wrote in post #16281022 (external link)
Yup, I knew some of that part (what FPS is), but I didn't know that some of the advanced settings could cause an issue. I will go through my camera again and make sure to turn off some of those advanced features if they are on. I poked around on Google a bit to see if maybe it was something I was doing wrong or what not and didn't come up with any good solid leads.

Check whether you have the high ISO noise reduction/long exposure noise reduction turned on as I vaguely remember a thread back when the t4i launched along a similar vein to your thread and this was a contributing factor.

Canon 6D / Canon 70-200 IS ii / Sigma 100 Macro f2.8 / 50mm f1.8
www.sm-wedding-photography.co.uk (external link)

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 09, 2013 07:06 |  #24

You won't get much more RAW buffer with these entry level cameras and it sounds that even a 1D series would not do what you want! What you want is video like spraying - so switch to video instead:-)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,707 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 09, 2013 07:12 |  #25

The T5i should be up to date as far as firmware but you may want to check or perhaps even do a reflash. There was someone here a few months back that was having issues which seemed to be cleared up with a firmware revision.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 09, 2013 07:31 |  #26

I'm not trying to be a critic, but he whole spray and pray idea negates the whole idea of being a photographer and framing the shot that you want. Better off just filming and breaking down the frames into shots.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 09, 2013 07:37 |  #27

Frodge wrote in post #16281071 (external link)
I'm not trying to be a critic, but he whole spray and pray idea negates the whole idea of being a photographer and framing the shot that you want.

Completely agree. Buy a video camera or learn to be a photographer.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Shake ­ N ­ Vac
520 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 09, 2013 07:40 |  #28

Frodge wrote in post #16281071 (external link)
I'm not trying to be a critic, but he whole spray and pray idea negates the whole idea of being a photographer and framing the shot that you want. Better off just filming and breaking down the frames into shots.

I could be wrong but the impression I got is not that burst is being used to spray and pray in the hope of catching one good shot amid the burst of images but is to create a sequence of images showing the whole of the players movement from start to finish.

Possibly to achieve this sort of thing: http://www.lboro.ac.uk …hanics/images/b​rendan.jpg (external link)

Canon 6D / Canon 70-200 IS ii / Sigma 100 Macro f2.8 / 50mm f1.8
www.sm-wedding-photography.co.uk (external link)

Radders
Cream of the Crop
5,017 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 09, 2013 07:42 |  #29

Have you got any sample images to share with us?

| 1DII | 7D | 60D | 6D | 100 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 11-16 2.8 | 24-105 4 | 70-300 IS USM |
Totallyrad.co.uk (external link) | Airplane-Pictures.net (external link) |Facebook Page (external link) | Russianplanes.net (external link)Gear list

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 09, 2013 07:44 |  #30

Shake N Vac wrote in post #16281093 (external link)
I could be wrong but the impression I got is not that burst is being used to spray and pray in the hope of catching one good shot amid the burst of images but is to create a sequence of images showing the whole of the players movement from start to finish.

Possibly to achieve this sort of thing: http://www.lboro.ac.uk …hanics/images/b​rendan.jpg (external link)

I stand corrected if that is the case.

sponsored links

8,436 views & 0 likes for this thread
Disappointed :(
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.