Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 07 Sep 2013 (Saturday) 22:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to get a photographers pass for Sporting Events

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 07, 2013 22:32 |  #1

I would like the chance to photograph Auburn football games from the sidelines.

How is this possible? What is the process, does anyone have any ideas?

I am a season ticket holder so I'm not doing it to get to see the game, I have good seats for that.

The reality is I want to photograph some sports, I don't care who uses my images, I just want to do it.

Cheers

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,885 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 07, 2013 23:39 |  #2

Photojournalist passes for events

How do I go about getting credentials for shooting amateur sporting events?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

bigjon0107
897 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 07, 2013 23:48 |  #3

Take the biggest camera you have, act like you know what you are doing, and walk on.

:rolleyes:

Really though do some searching and look at the links above. Long story short you need to be shooting for a client, agency, etc... and with the SEC being what it is, I could not imagine it would be an easy task to find one looking for a shooter. Not to say never, but unless you are a huge donor or have a certain "hook up", the sidelines are not for people just wanting to shoot more sports.

Jon Eilts
Gear List
SportsShooter (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 08, 2013 00:37 |  #4

bigjon0107 wrote in post #16277706 (external link)
Take the biggest camera you have, act like you know what you are doing, and walk on.

:rolleyes:

Really though do some searching and look at the links above. Long story short you need to be shooting for a client, agency, etc... and with the SEC being what it is, I could not imagine it would be an easy task to find one looking for a shooter. Not to say never, but unless you are a huge donor or have a certain "hook up", the sidelines are not for people just wanting to shoot more sports.

Don;t forget a clipboard. Nothing gives you more freedom to walk places you shouldn't than a clipboard and a grumpy, busy look on your face.

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 08, 2013 00:41 |  #5

Your photos need to be more valuable to the university or the league than the most expensive ticket in the stadium. You also need a portfolio that shows you can consistently get 'the shot'.

You may want to start with some local high school football, that will at least get you some experience and a portfolio. From there, shake every hand you can.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 08, 2013 03:38 |  #6

bigjon0107 wrote in post #16277706 (external link)

That does work for smaller events on occasion. Every organization has different rules for media passes though. I would check directly with the institution by going to their website and seeing if they have a photo policy posted somewhere. If not, contact them by some other means and explain your request and find out what you have to do.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 08, 2013 03:41 |  #7

If you're not shooting for a publication you're going to be hard pressed to get a credential, especially at Auburn. Chances are, everyone is already covered, so just enjoy your seats and photograph a high school game.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

stillinamerica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 08, 2013 12:48 |  #8

Cheers all! Thanks for the replies. Yeah 'just walking in' doesn't work at Auburn :)

I put a post on Facebook and I had a sports reporter contact me. He started a business as a spin off from the local newspaper and is well known. This year is their first full SEC season, most images are standard images. He said he will work on a pass, trading the pass for images, which is what I offered.

I am happy with that deal and it is probably the best option for me at the moment Cheers!

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/

bigjon0107
897 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 08, 2013 13:01 |  #9

stillinamerica wrote in post #16278883 (external link)
He said he will work on a pass, trading the pass for images, which is what I offered.

I am happy with that deal and it is probably the best option for me at the moment Cheers!

And I thought the USATSI deal was bad enough :confused:

And the main word of advice I have is please do not step in front of the designated "stay behind here" line. No better way to frustrate the shooters who are behind you....well that and trying to be super chatty while they are transmitting on a tight deadline.

Jon Eilts
Gear List
SportsShooter (external link)

stillinamerica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 08, 2013 17:34 |  #10

Yeah I spent time watching them this week. I noticed no one really spoke with each other and I noticed a lot of the etiquette.

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 09, 2013 09:11 |  #11

Getting credentialed for a SEC team is fairly hard. You need to be represented by a well known publication/agency that has covered Auburn before. Otherwise any small newspaper can put in for credentials.

Have the publication that contacted you look up APA (Alabama Press Association). While it's too late this year, you can get 1 or 2 passes for Auburn and Alabama games. A small local paper has done this before.

There's probably a cost to joining APA though.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 09, 2013 13:45 |  #12

stillinamerica wrote in post #16279605 (external link)
Yeah I spent time watching them this week. I noticed no one really spoke with each other and I noticed a lot of the etiquette.

That's because they are working. Being down on the sidelines is not an opportunity to hang out with friends. Ah who am I kidding, being down on the sidelines is like a photographer reunion every week.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 09, 2013 13:46 |  #13

I usually bring ear plugs because of other photographers, not because of fans.

This week shooting Alabama @ A&M will be different. It is going to be rowdy.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 09, 2013 15:50 |  #14

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16282127 (external link)
I usually bring ear plugs because of other photographers, not because of fans.

This week shooting Alabama @ A&M will be different. It is going to be rowdy.

Off topic: Looking forward to it. Where can we see your results? We're huge Alabama fans. Actually, my wife is a huge Alabama fan, and I usually try to tolerate it... I'm just a fan of quality sports photography.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 09, 2013 16:01 |  #15

I will post some highlights here in the sports section. More will be on my blog/fan page.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

sponsored links

7,586 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to get a photographers pass for Sporting Events
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.