Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Sep 2013 (Monday) 04:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Disappointed :(

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 09, 2013 18:34 |  #46

abhphotography wrote in post #16280966 (external link)
I do. I shoot everything in RAW, but even if i change it and shoot in S3, it will still only let me do 6. :( It's rather weird but its probably me, I've goofed something I'm sure.

That's because your shutter and mirror are not mechanically engineered to crack more than 6 times in a second. It has nothing to do with the speed of your memory cards or what file format you shoot.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links
Raylon
Goldmember
1,078 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 09, 2013 18:40 |  #47

cdifoto wrote in post #16283038 (external link)
That's because your shutter and mirror are not mechanically engineered to crack more than 6 times in a second. It has nothing to do with the speed of your memory cards or what file format you shoot.

No he is saying that he can't do more than 6 frames in a row before buffer is full. I am still not convinced he has tried just JPEG mode yet. I think RAW is still being shot when he tries.

7D l Canon 70-200 f/4L IS l Canon 85mm f/1.8 l βˆ‘ 17-50 f/2.8 l Canon 50mm f/1.8 II l S95
Full Gear List and Marketplace Feedback
My SmugMug (external link)

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 09, 2013 18:43 |  #48

Raylon wrote in post #16283058 (external link)
No he is saying that he can't do more than 6 frames in a row before buffer is full. I am still not convinced he has tried just JPEG mode yet. I think RAW is still being shot when he tries.

Raylon,

I followed the suggestions of someone below and low level formatted my cards and definitely ensured that my camera was shooting the L-Fine settings instead of RAW. It took more than 6 shots in a burst on the L-Fine, matter of fact it took 12! However when I do switch to RAW I'm limited to just 6 like before. All of the other picture quality settings allow me to shoot much more than 6 in burst mode unlike before.

And to be safe, I reset the camera back to factory just as a precaution. All seems to be fairly well now.

Camera(s): 7D, (wishing for a 5dm3)
Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5
Cards: 16GB/32Gb SanDisks CF

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,178 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 09, 2013 18:54 |  #49

Keyan wrote in post #16282870 (external link)
The 18-55 is not a quiet focusing lens....it is still focusing, correct?

Your burst counts are probably about right for a T5i. See the specs here:
http://www.usa.canon.c​om …is_stm_kit#Spec​ifications (external link)

Under the drive system section about half way down.

The STM version is deadly silent and is very cool! The 55-250 is being made as an STM too, should be available in Oct.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 09, 2013 19:17 |  #50

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16283088 (external link)
The STM version is deadly silent and is very cool! The 55-250 is being made as an STM too, should be available in Oct.

I know, I actually kind of want one, but his gear list doesn't show the STM.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,288 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 10, 2013 02:18 as a reply to  @ Keyan's post |  #51

There seems to be many misconceptions accumulated in this thread.

First, the biggest burst depth killer is the High ISO noise reduction setting. In older cameras, setting it ON reduces the burst length significantly. In newer cameras, the settings off, low and standard are OK, but setting it to high again kills burst rate. This can be seen already on the burst depth prediction display the camera has.

Second, the speed of the memory card doesn't affect burst depth very much, especially not when shooting RAW. Most Canon EOS cameras don't write to the card and shoot RAW simultaneously. But the speed of the card has a significant impact on how long time it takes the camera to recover from a burst, and be ready for the next one.
When shooting jpeg only, card writing and shooting is usually done concurrently, thus a fast and well working card improves the burst length to some extent (see the burst length data below).

Third, burst depth is never harmed by using a long exposure time. On the contrary, if you are shooting jpegs, it gives the camera time to write to the card while the action has stopped waiting for the exposure to end. But frame rate (images per second) is of course very sensitive to the shutter speed. You usually need at least as short as 1/500 s for the camera to run without the frame rate being impaired by the time it takes to expose the sensor.

Fourth, all other settings will not impair burst length. But using Servo AF on tricky subjects will impair frame rate, since there will be a little longer delay between each shot, whilst the camera is fighting to figure out how to focus. Somewhere above it was said that simpler cameras don't have any focus priority setting, but that's also wrong. Focus priority is the only setting they have (now I'm talking about the focus priority setting which was available until the introduction of the 1DX - that camera is different). What these cameras lack is the release priority. Thus they always allow the camera to make a few repeated attempts to figure out focus, prior to taking the picture.

Fifth, one of the primary differences between the higher rank cameras and a model like the 700D is the buffer memory size. Cheaper cameras simply don't have the memory to keep running like the more expensive ones.
Here's the burst data for the 700D:

Maximum Burst
Based on 8GB memory Card:
JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 22 Shots
RAW: Approx. 6 Shots
RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: 3 Shots
Based on 8GB UHS-I memory card:
JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 30 Shots
RAW: Approx. 6 Shots
RAW + JPEG Large/Fine: 3 Shots

You can also see that having a faster card improves the situation when shooting jpegs, but only for jpegs.

Now let's look at the same specification for the 7D (which fires eight frames per second, thus produces quite a bit more data each second):

Maximum Burst
JPEG (Large/Fine): approx. 110*/approx. 130**
RAW: approx. 23*/approx. 25**
RAW+JPEG (Large/Fine): approx. 17*/approx. 17**

The figures marked with ** are for a faster card (UDMA 7). Not even dual Digic 4 processors make much of a difference between different card performance when using RAW, but it's obvious that the capacity for shooting long series here is much higher.

Anders

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 10, 2013 05:00 |  #52

apersson850 wrote in post #16284017 (external link)

First, the biggest burst depth killer is the High ISO noise reduction setting. In older cameras, setting it ON reduces the burst length significantly. In newer cameras, the settings off, low and standard are OK, but setting it to high again kills burst rate. This can be seen already on the burst depth prediction display the camera has.

Second, the speed of the memory card doesn't affect burst depth very much, especially not when shooting RAW. Most Canon EOS cameras don't write to the card and shoot RAW simultaneously. But the speed of the card has a significant impact on how long time it takes the camera to recover from a burst, and be ready for the next one.
When shooting jpeg only, card writing and shooting is usually done concurrently, thus a fast and well working card improves the burst length.

Third, burst depth is never harmed by using a long exposure time. On the contrary, if you are shooting jpegs, it gives the camera time to write to the card while the action has stopped waiting for the exposure to end. But frame rate (images per second) is of course very sensitive to the shutter speed. You usually need at least as short as 1/500 s for the camera to run without the frame rate being impaired by the time it takes to expose the sensor.

Fourth, all other settings will not impair burst length. But using Servo AF on tricky subjects will impair frame rate, since there will be a little longer delay between each shot, whilst the camera is fighting to figure out how to focus. Somewhere above it was said that simpler cameras don't have any focus priority setting, but that's also wrong. Focus priority is the only setting they have (now I'm talking about the focus priority setting which was available until the introduction of the 1DX - that camera is different). What these cameras lack is the release priority. Thus they always allow the camera to make a few repeated attempts to figure out focus, prior to taking the picture.

Fifth, one of the primary differences between the higher rank cameras and a model like the 700D is the buffer memory size. Cheaper cameras simply don't have the memory to keep running like the more expensive ones.
Here's the burst data for the 700D:

You can also see that having a faster card improves the situation when shooting jpegs, but only for jpegs.

Now let's look at the same specification for the 7D (which fires eight frames per second, thus produces quite a bit more data each second):
The figures marked with ** are for a faster card (UDMA 7). Not even dual Digic 4 processors make much of a difference between different card performance when using RAW, but it's obvious that the capacity for shooting long series here is much higher.

Interesting read. Thanks a lot.

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 10, 2013 05:03 |  #53

Frodge wrote in post #16284161 (external link)
Interesting read. Thanks a lot.

I thought the same thing!

Camera(s): 7D, (wishing for a 5dm3)
Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5
Cards: 16GB/32Gb SanDisks CF

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,521 posts
Gallery: 692 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 10, 2013 05:20 |  #54

If you don't care about shooting in jpeg, buy a 1100D (T3), because you can shoot 830 jpegs in a row. Better than the 7D lol.

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Blue Jimny Madeira (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 10, 2013 06:14 |  #55

apersson850 wrote in post #16284017 (external link)

Too true, and I'm so glad you got in here to put some of them right. I was thinking I'd have to go through and correct all the myths.

One that I think you missed was the suggestion that fast lenses (f1.4) would help. When describing lenses as having a fast aperture all it means is that it collects a lot of light. It has no bearing at all on how many photos the camera can take. Indeed, because fast lenses have big, heavy, lumps of glass at the front, they are often the most sluggish lenses for focusing - so they may have the opposite effect (in very, very rare situations).

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,288 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 10, 2013 06:39 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #56

I didn't see that part. Long thread.
It's of course true that a fast lens doesn't help burst length. On the contrary, if anything, since what a fast lens can help with is frame rate. If it's too dark to maintain 1/500 s or shorter, then a fast lens may be necessary to keep the frame rate up. But high frame rate will of course imply that you run out of buffer space in shorter time, even if not in fewer frames, if you shoot RAW. But if you shoot jpeg, a setting of, say, 1/30 s may cause quite a dramatic change in how many jpegs you can shoot in a sequence. Somewhere you have break even for a certain camera, where long exposure times reduce frame rate to such an extent that the camera will never fill the buffer.
Unfortunately, such exposure times are usually not action-friendly.

I added some other opinions in a private message to the OP, but I can just as well copy them to this thread too.

Coming back to your issue, I dare say two things: First, the only way to do what you want with your camera, and actually with most of them, is to shoot jpeg only.
Second, jpeg output is good enough to be fully useful in most situations. You did mention changing light and such stuff, but that can usually be handled pretty well.

AWB does almost all the time outdoors give reasonable color rendering of your photos.

If automatic exposure with evaluative metering doesn't work well during changing conditions, then try center weighted average metering. It's averaging enough of the scene not to be easily fooled by some bright or dark spots, even if they happen to show up under the active AF point.
If exposure is still a problem, try the automated Highlight tone priority if you have problems with blown highlights or the Automatic Light Optimizer if you have general contrast/exposure issues.

If you use Servo AF and have issues with delays due to that, you can do two things: Use back button focusing (allows you to cancel tracking if you realize it will be difficult for the camera) and set lens drive when AF is impossible to off. The second setting (I think it's on a 700D too) prevents the camera from driving your lens to closest distance and all the way back if you loose tracking. The drawback is that if your lens is way off when you start AF, it will not even attempt to find focus, but you have to set it in the ballpark manually. Which is difficult with lenses not having USM or STM focus drive motors.

Anders

N2bnfunn
758 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 10, 2013 11:09 |  #57

For one thing you never told what type of camera you are using? I am guessing Rebel t5i, the 7d would have been a better choice for what you were looking for.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

forcefed
265 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 10, 2013 15:07 as a reply to  @ N2bnfunn's post |  #58

I have a 60d and from what I read some said it only gets 6 raw pics.

I just put mine in raw mode ai servo and burst mode chasing cars at 60mph and got all 16 busrts.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1211.photobuck​et.com …10_125850_zpsd6​48e2ef.jpg (external link)

Canon 70D/70-200 f4/17-55 2.8/BG-E9/430EZ I like DSLR's. It makes a distinction between photo fans and normal people who don't give a damn how a picture could look like

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,288 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 10, 2013 15:10 |  #59

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16284891 (external link)
For one thing you never told what type of camera you are using?

Oh yes he did.

...it appears my t5i is just blah...

It seems reasonable that you could shoot more RAW images in a sequence with a 60D. This is a capability Canon usually expands upon when going up the food chain.

Anders

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 10, 2013 17:13 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #60

Yeah my mistake on the instant shutter release, I did some testing to verify and the 60D will reasonably try to get focus before firing when fully depressed and during an AI servo burst, which of course slows down the rate as it attempts focus.

At least my suggestion of a low level format actually seemed to fix the issue :)

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

sponsored links

8,432 views & 0 likes for this thread
Disappointed :(
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.