Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 10 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 11:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Outdoor, wildlife, want to tweak it.

Dynalmadman
97 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 10, 2013 11:16 |  #1

Hi guys

We are brand new to the 70D We are coming from iphones and P&S.

The following was taken yesterday, SOOC. I have LR5 and I am looking for suggestions on what adjustments to make to this pic to improve it. Right off, I feel it is overexposed. Needs to be made darker, and possibly a bit of sharpening. But please suggest away and I will go and try it.

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5456/9719249554_c35fef8a55_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …101292417@N03/9​719249554/  (external link)
IMG_0578 (external link) by dynalmadman (external link), on Flickr

Thanks for the suggestions. If this is the wrong place for this, please let me know.
Michael

70D, 100L macro, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD, Magic Lantern, 600ex-rt, FotoPro Mini5, Macbook Pro 15" i7.

sponsored links
rivas8409
Goldmember
2,477 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 10, 2013 13:39 |  #2

PP is VERY subjective. Some will like B&W, some like color... PP it the way you feel it would enhance the image and what looks good to your eye.

I'm not on my calibrated monitor but to me right now the images dones't appear over exposed. Ok yes, the sky is blown out, and the rock formation in the background is overexposed BUT you have to consider what's in your scene. You've got 2 different exposure here. If you expose for the foreground that's shady, the backgroudn in direct sun will be overexposed. If you expose for the background in the sun, then the shaded aread will be underexposed.

I think you need to focus more on content/context of the photo. What do you want to show? What part of the scene is important and start there? As is right now you've got some cool rock formations and some goats. The way you've composed it the goat in the center of the frame draws the eye's attention but it doens't appear to be in focus. When you hunt around you see the other goat laying down in the bottom right corner that's in a lot sharper focus...so aks yourself, "Where am I supposed to look?" Once you've answered that question then you can maybe crop the image to reframe (would be your only choice now) or better yet move your feet and reframe before shooting.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D│M50
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L│Canon EF-M 22mm f/2.0
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 10, 2013 13:54 |  #3

Not to be harsh, but trying to be constructive: you're trying to save a lousy shot (IMO). Okay, you got two Rams in one frame, good for you. You were sort of in the right place, at sort of the right time, but here's where you settle in on your butt and wait for them to move into the sun (you hope). Maybe sneak in for a close up of the guy on the right. If that doesn't work, then come back another day.

They are in the shade, but background is so-so. Oh well, try again. ;)

We all get lots of these shots, live and learn.

Edit: for example, I finally saw a male Wood Duck in a local pond. Beautiful plumage, BUT he was hiding under some branches in the shade. Yeah, I got a photo of him, which I'm happy to have gotten, but honestly it's a lousy shot of a Wood Duck. Better luck to me next time!

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

Talaska
605 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 10, 2013 23:33 |  #4

[QUOTE=Biffbradford;16​285424]Not to be harsh, but trying to be constructive: you're trying to save a lousy shot (IMO). Okay, you got two Rams in one frame, good for you. You were sort of in the right place, at sort of the right time, but here's where you settle in on your butt and wait for them to move into the sun (you hope). Maybe sneak in for a close up of the guy on the right. If that doesn't work, then come back another day.

Pretty much agree with this statement, the photo can be tweaked like bringing up the shadows and drop the highlight slider and use the brush tool to dodge the sky, or possibly crop in on the lower laying down ram to name a couple. This photo does not look overexposed to me though but you need to darken the sky. I would also crop in closer and try to get rid of some of the dead space on the left, this will also help eliminate some of the blown out sky on the left side of the photo.

1D Mark IV, 5D Mark III, 7D, 1.4X MkIII, 2X MkIII, 17-40mm L, 70-200mm f2.8 IS Mk II L, 100mm macro, 500mm f4 IS L, 24-105mm f4 L, 580 EX II, 550EX

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 11, 2013 01:13 as a reply to  @ Talaska's post |  #5

for landscape shots use tripod and bracket the shot .in this way you will have one shot where highlights
are not blown and at least one shot with good details of foreground . In photoshop you can use masking
to get highlights of one shot and shadows of the other shot. this is simple , easy way . even if you do not
know much about post processing at least you will have more flexibility when processing the shots.
post processing skills keeps on improving so even if you are not able to process the shot as good as it should be,
after a year or two you will definitely be able to do so. bracketing the shot is very common practice ,many pro do it.
why not take advantage of this very simple method when it is always available to every one.

revluke
438 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 11, 2013 21:10 |  #6

I'd crank down the highlights, bump the shadows, add some clarity and vibrance, maybe crop to taste...
other option with the sky is to replace with a nice blue cloudy one, that takes some trickery

5dIII | 70d | Rokinon 14 | 16-35 f4 IS | 40 2.8 | s50A | 70-200 2.8 IS II | 100 f2 | s120-300S | sigma 2x | 600EX-RT

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 12, 2013 11:46 |  #7

Shoot when the light is better (sunrise or sunset). Nice first try anyway, definitely worth returning to that place. Also, animals in the shadows and surroundings in the sun usually doesn't work out well.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 12, 2013 12:50 |  #8

^^^ agreed. You've definitely found a hot spot. Hopefully you can return often.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

Dynalmadman
THREAD ­ STARTER
97 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 12, 2013 23:09 as a reply to  @ Biffbradford's post |  #9

Thanks guys

The PS tips are appreciated.

The tips on reframing and retaking the shot, well, not terribly helpful. Obviously we can all stalk and wait for better shots, but I am just looking for suggestions on how to tweak it post-shot. Trying to learn photo processing.

Thanks for all the ideas. I am on my way to play with it now.

Michael

70D, 100L macro, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD, Magic Lantern, 600ex-rt, FotoPro Mini5, Macbook Pro 15" i7.

jefzor
788 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 13, 2013 00:11 |  #10

Dynalmadman wrote in post #16292612 (external link)
Thanks guys

The PS tips are appreciated.

The tips on reframing and retaking the shot, well, not terribly helpful. Obviously we can all stalk and wait for better shots, but I am just looking for suggestions on how to tweak it post-shot. Trying to learn photo processing.

Thanks for all the ideas. I am on my way to play with it now.

Michael

In this case, it isn't just tweaking, it's trying to save shot with sub-optimal lighting conditions. Something that's not that easy (I'd even dare to say that fixing bad light is neigh impossible). I understand that you want to learn something about editing, but the easiest way to get results is to tweak what you're doing before you press the shutter button, not after.
If it's not too far away, do yourself a favor and return there this weekend, preferably at sunrise or sunset.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 13, 2013 01:20 |  #11

I generally agree with the consensus of opinion - not a great shot, not great light.

But it is what it is. I took a shot at trying to improve your shot. Cropped to put the left ram top left and the other bottom right. I also pushed the clarity way up. Here's a portion of what I came up with:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 13, 2013 10:04 |  #12

An alternative might be to crop the top off down to the tree & the left side off over to the top ram.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

jefzor
788 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 13, 2013 10:41 |  #13

Gave it a quick try myself

HOSTED PHOTO

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,022 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 13, 2013 13:31 as a reply to  @ jefzor's post |  #14

If your focus is on the rams, then I agree that a crop would help if you can't reshoot. You might try to replace the sky to help add a little different color too. Of course, the rams blend into their environment just as nature intended.

Here's a quick edit I did where I added sky from an image I took at Joshua Tree, boosted contrast and cropped.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Grizz
Cream of the Crop
5,496 posts
Gallery: 318 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 13, 2013 15:44 |  #15

My take is that you have 2 separate images here.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Craig * Canon 7D Mark II * 60D * 10D * Tamron SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD * EF 400 5.6L USM * EF 17-40 4.0L USM * EF 70-210 4.0 * EF 28 2.8 * EF 50 1.8 MK1*Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,597 views & 0 likes for this thread
Outdoor, wildlife, want to tweak it.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.