Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 23:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mk3 & 600 EX-RT replace using the Pocket Wizard System ??

drdimento
39 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 10, 2013 23:25 |  #1

I currently use the Pocket Wizard FlexTT5/AC3 Canon Speedlite control system to control my 580 EXii's and after a lot of issues with getting them to fire right OR fire at all, I am considering upgrading the Canon 5D Mark III and Speedlite 600 EX-RT and want to know if anyone else has used this set up and if it will replace and/or work like the Pocket Wizard EXCEPT that it will WORK. :-)

sponsored links
pstyle1
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 10, 2013 23:30 |  #2

Never used the pocket wizards (though I used to use other ETTL triggers when I had 5D2 and 580EX II's), but the 5D3 and 600EX RT combo is great and very reliable. You can even control all of your flash groups, set each group to ETTL or M, adjust power to each group (or FEC in EETL) all from the back of the camera using the camera dials instead of the small buttons and dials on the back of the 600EX RT/ST-E3 RT.

5D MkIII x2 + a lot of L's.
www.facebook.com/Peyma​nRazaviPhotography (external link)

drdimento
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 11, 2013 01:00 |  #3

pstyle1 wrote in post #16286860 (external link)
Never used the pocket wizards (though I used to use other ETTL triggers when I had 5D2 and 580EX II's), but the 5D3 and 600EX RT combo is great and very reliable. You can even control all of your flash groups, set each group to ETTL or M, adjust power to each group (or FEC in EETL) all from the back of the camera using the camera dials instead of the small buttons and dials on the back of the 600EX RT/ST-E3 RT.

Oh that is awesome! I just wanted to make sure that I did NOT need an external apparatus when I make the upgrade (which was what I thought I was reading and understanding correctly) since this will now be my full time job. Was previously a videographer as a principle interest but decided to give up video in exchange for a more enjoyable stills business :-)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 11, 2013 03:27 as a reply to  @ drdimento's post |  #4

Just make sure you get the 600 EX-RT flash units, not the cheaper 600 EX. It takes the RT designation to support radio communication.

Another thing to consider is that if you use the ST-E3-RT remote flash controller on the camera, then you don't have any AF assist light. There's no flash bulb nor any LEDs for this in the ST-E3-RT. Weird oversight from Canon's side, in my opinion, but that's the way it is.
You can still use another 600 EX-RT flash unit as a master, but if you don't want any light from the camera, it's an expensive way to get AF assist.

Apart from that, when combined with cameras like the 1DX or the 5D Mark III, you can do exactly what you ask for. The cheaper 6D will do the same, for less money.

Anders

drdimento
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 11, 2013 09:56 |  #5

apersson850 wrote in post #16287146 (external link)
Just make sure you get the 600 EX-RT flash units, not the cheaper 600 EX. It takes the RT designation to support radio communication. . . . when combined with cameras like the 1DX or the 5D Mark III, you can do exactly what you ask for. The cheaper 6D will do the same, for less money.

Totally awesome! Thanks to all for the help. That's all I wanna do in this matter (while upgrading also) is get rid of that somewhat unreliable Pocket Wizard system. In fact, the most recent wedding I did, no matter what I did I could not get the Pocket Wizard to flash either of my two 580 EXii's.

That is weird that they would eliminate that feature on the one controller BUT for me I can't imagine why I would ever need that anyways. All I do is Weddings, Events, and Commercial photography . . not even products or sports of any kind.

Nick5
Goldmember
3,109 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 11, 2013 10:02 |  #6

Once you unload your 580EX and all of the other products associated with triggering and convert to all 600Ex-RT and ST-E3 Transmitter, your work will become less stressful.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

drdimento
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 11, 2013 15:29 |  #7

Nick5 wrote in post #16287875 (external link)
Once you unload your 580EX and all of the other products associated with triggering and convert to all 600Ex-RT and ST-E3 Transmitter, your work will become less stressful.

Well, I just did the budget and looks like I'll be stuck with the 580 ex2's and the 5dm2 and 7d for a while. i have to change computers to the new retina display in order to get two thunderbolt ports and an ssd os drive. So, I'll have to wait on the camera's and will get the 70-200 sigma f2.8 and an 85mm or 100mm f1.8 or close (hopefully canon) in the interim till more $$$ comes my way. Bummer :shock:

sponsored links

1,695 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mk3 & 600 EX-RT replace using the Pocket Wizard System ??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.