Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Sep 2013 (Wednesday) 12:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which Canon Camera Do You Currently Use the Most?

HoldyourfireAl
612 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 11, 2013 12:52 |  #1

I would ask, what Canon do you own, but I figured many folks have several! The reason I'm asking is that I own a 450D. What are the advantages of upgrading to a newer model? I'm not a professional. I use my camera mainly for product photography for my website, family pics, etc... Have there been overwhelming improvements since I purchased my XSi?

https://www.flickr.com …_marvels_comics​__statues/ (external link)

sponsored links
Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 11, 2013 13:04 |  #2

Over an XSi..yeah, there have been some improvements. Where do you feel your XSi is limiting your photography? Often that will lead you to the correct option (which can be "do nothing").

Currently I use my 70D. The 60D is sitting on a shelf waiting for me to decide when/how I am going to sell it. My S100 is also used quite often when either I have a long lens on my DSLR or for when I don't want the bulk of the kit.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

HoldyourfireAl
THREAD ­ STARTER
612 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 11, 2013 13:11 |  #3

Keyan wrote in post #16288436 (external link)
Over an XSi..yeah, there have been some improvements. Where do you feel your XSi is limiting your photography? Often that will lead you to the correct option (which can be "do nothing").

Currently I use my 70D. The 60D is sitting on a shelf waiting for me to decide when/how I am going to sell it. My S100 is also used quite often when either I have a long lens on my DSLR or for when I don't want the bulk of the kit.

I don't feel it is & I've never investigated newer models since my purchase, so I was wondering has there been a vast improvement in image quality? I'm also curious which one most members of this site are using these days?

996gt2
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 11, 2013 13:17 |  #4

None of the newer APS-C Canons are going to be a big improvement in image quality. Canon's sensor tech has been roughly the same for the past 5-6 years.

If you want a big step up in sensor performance, go full-frame or get a Nikon.

That said, for product photography in controlled lighting, the camera body honestly doesn't matter all that much. The lenses are much more important. Depending on what kind of product photography you do, it could be much more worthwhile to invest in a Tilt-Shift lens or lighting setup over a newer camera body.

Buy/Sell Feedback
5Dc, 50D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 430EX

HoldyourfireAl
THREAD ­ STARTER
612 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 11, 2013 13:25 |  #5

996gt2 wrote in post #16288471 (external link)
None of the newer APS-C Canons are going to be a big improvement in image quality. Canon's sensor tech has been roughly the same for the past 5-6 years.

That said, for product photography in controlled lighting, the camera body honestly doesn't matter all that much. The lenses are much more important. Depending on what kind of product photography you do, it could be much more worthwhile to invest in a Tilt-Shift lens or lighting setup over a newer camera body.

So the newer models are just packed with more features, like video? And, yes, I totally agree with you about lenses!
:)

Footbag
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 11, 2013 13:27 |  #6

I agree with 996gt2. There haven't been many big improvements since the XSi was released. If you like video, there have been many improvements, but for photography or general image quality, there hasn't been much of a change.

Adam
My Astrophoto Gallery (external link)
The Astro Imaging Channel (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 11, 2013 13:46 |  #7

So packing in 8 more megapixels while still having "similar performance" is not an improvement? I guess it depends on your purpose. If you need or want to crop heavily it is a pretty big change. Also for jpegs the newer processors do a better job.

Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,020 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 11, 2013 13:48 as a reply to  @ Keyan's post |  #8

I have 3 5D3's.. Love them

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 11, 2013 13:49 |  #9

Or a Sony, since Nikon just uses their sensors. I think there is one other that uses them too.

Kyle ­ Blunt
245 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 11, 2013 13:56 |  #10

I personally use my 40D over my slightly newer 500D. I also will probably be selling my 500D for a 1D Mark II, that is an 8 megapixel body. Sometimes a downgrade can also be just as good, the 1D is better than the 15 megapixel 500D for what I shoot and I can pick one up for the same sort of price as my 500D will sell for so its basically just a swap.

EOS 1D Mark IIN | EOS 50D w/BG-E2N | EOS 40D w/BG-E2 | EF 300mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
My Website (external link)Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 11, 2013 13:58 |  #11

I use the EM5 the most often.

A9 | A7R3 | 25 | 55 | 85

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,284 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 11, 2013 14:02 |  #12

That is simply too generic an answer, and I would like to make some observations.

Comparing the XSi to any of the newer crop bodies would show:

- AF is better and faster now (impacts IQ)

- Availability of micro focus adjustments (impacts IQ)

- Metering is new and improved and is a bit more accurate (impacts IQ)

- Burst and fps are pretty darn good at least on a couple of the newer bodies, so if you are looking for just that one shot amidst action, the XSI won't deliver as many keepers (relates to IQ, or at least to the extent of keeper rate)

- A ton of other new and improved features that could really enhance the photographic experience, and if a photographer is confident of his equipment, and his equipment gives him more tools to be more creative, then that is good (relates to IQ, or at least to the extent of keeper rate)

- Optical wireless flash control, and as we know, light is everything in photography, so better placement of flash controlled by the camera at no extra expense in attachments is a good thing (impacts IQ)

- Ergonomics like size of body, changes in button placement, touch screens, tilt screens, etc could enhance the shooting experience as well.

- More resolution allows flexibility in processing.

- Better in camera JPG engine, so perhaps less time during post processing

So are any of these big improvements in sensor tech? Nope, but the entire combined package, depending on what model you look at in today's crop landscape, is a big improvement overall.

"Sometimes the quality of a photo isn't really dependent on the sensor tech, but the culmination of equipment flexibility, function and feature, photographer's enjoyment and experience with his/her equipment, quality of glass used, light, and heaping pile of creativity and vision." - Teamspeed circa 2013

:)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

HoldyourfireAl
THREAD ­ STARTER
612 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 11, 2013 14:19 |  #13

Do the amount of megapixels matter or are they more for the printed quality of a pic?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,284 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 11, 2013 14:22 |  #14

HoldyourfireAl wrote in post #16288657 (external link)
Do the amount of megapixels matter or are they more for the printed quality of a pic?

It allows more cropping and still provide enough digital data for a print without digitally resizing back up. If you take an 18mpx high ISO shot and resize it down, the noise will be reduced, and the final product is easier to post process for small to mid-sized prints as compared to the XSI at the same ISO level. Finally, having a high resolution image, I have found that sometimes I end up having 2 or 3 sub-pictures inside that image, and even after cropping those out, I have enough to print.

That all being said, I wouldn't necessarily make that the crucial point for a decision, the other differences most likely would provide larger incentives for upgrading, it just depends on what you find lacking with the XSi today. If you do just web images and small prints (4x6 through 8x10s maybe), then resolution isn't something that should be in your top-5 list, for example.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 11, 2013 14:32 |  #15

Technically I guess I use my 1DIV the most because it's my primary action/wildlife body so it tends to get more shutter actions. On the other hand my 5DIII gets used for pretty much everything else and at times for the same things as the 1DIV when the extra speed/reach isn't needed(most often this would be while have 2 bodies-long lens on 1DIV and shorter lens 5DIII). My 40D gets very little use since it doesn't offer anything over my other bodies, I only keep because it's the only body I currently have an underwater housing for plus it not worth much on the used market. I'll likely try to sell the 40D as a complete underwater package deal since I'm switching housing brands and will need ports, if it doesn't go that way I'll convert it to IR.

As for your XSi. For product photos I also don't see much improvement in upgrading to a newer body aside from more MP might be useful if you wanted to use the images for other things other than just web. For family pictures, etc. some of the newer features could come in handy as well as the improvements in AF and ISO.

Any modern DSLR is capable of capturing great images(many of my best were shot with my old 300D). However all the newer bells and whistles can help make it easier and/or improve keeper rate.

sponsored links

5,591 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which Canon Camera Do You Currently Use the Most?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.