Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Sep 2013 (Monday) 13:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

REALLY NEED HELP WITH LIVE VIEW MONITOR

jonathanheierle
THREAD ­ STARTER
604 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 09, 2013 21:57 |  #16

cbowlsby wrote in post #16283502 (external link)
~3 seconds after you snap the pic using RAW. Close enough.

oh yeah thats fine, wait do you need the wireless transmitter grip? please tell me this isnt nescessary...

Sony A7RIII, Sony 70-200 F4 G OSS, Sony 24-105 F4 G OSS, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, Samyang 85mm f/1.4

sponsored links
cbowlsby
175 posts
Joined May 2013

Sep 09, 2013 22:02 |  #17

Nope. Just a simple cheap usb cable from the usb plug on your camera to the computer. Your camera may have come with one.

I've also successfully used a usb extension cable to get the computer 10ft from the camera. Probably could get a longer cord and get even farther away if desired.

feedback

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 09, 2013 22:06 |  #18

jonathanheierle wrote in post #16283490 (external link)
oh thats awesome, does it appear close to instant?

I'll gladly accept tips for the money I saved you from purchasing the CamRanger ;)

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

jonathanheierle
THREAD ­ STARTER
604 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 10, 2013 00:27 |  #19

cbowlsby wrote in post #16283577 (external link)
Nope. Just a simple cheap usb cable from the usb plug on your camera to the computer. Your camera may have come with one.

I've also successfully used a usb extension cable to get the computer 10ft from the camera. Probably could get a longer cord and get even farther away if desired.

oh alright i have one of those cables, so just a long one, and im set?

Sony A7RIII, Sony 70-200 F4 G OSS, Sony 24-105 F4 G OSS, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, Samyang 85mm f/1.4

cbowlsby
175 posts
Joined May 2013

Sep 10, 2013 00:51 |  #20

jonathanheierle wrote in post #16283863 (external link)
oh alright i have one of those cables, so just a long one, and im set?

Yea, or you can buy an extension like this: http://www.amazon.com …00182CIB8/ref=p​d_sim_pc_1 (external link) and use the cable you already have. They are about the same cost likely.

It also wouldn't hurt to grab the latest drivers for your camera from Canon's website if you haven't done that already. Once you get the camera recognized by the computer just fire Lightroom up, choose File-> Tethered Capture -> Start Tethered Capture and snap away!

feedback

jonathanheierle
THREAD ­ STARTER
604 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 10, 2013 08:28 |  #21

cbowlsby wrote in post #16283904 (external link)
Yea, or you can buy an extension like this: http://www.amazon.com …00182CIB8/ref=p​d_sim_pc_1 (external link) and use the cable you already have. They are about the same cost likely.

It also wouldn't hurt to grab the latest drivers for your camera from Canon's website if you haven't done that already. Once you get the camera recognized by the computer just fire Lightroom up, choose File-> Tethered Capture -> Start Tethered Capture and snap away!

awesome! Ill buy the extension sounds awesome,I also need to buy a studio too haha I need a backdrop and soft boxes

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Sep 11, 2013 14:14 |  #22

There are quite a few external monitors out there appropriate for dSLR use. on Amazon or B&H search for "dSLR monitor". While most of them were originally designed for the dSLR Video market, they provide a much larger image and some have HD resolution, but you absolutely need to use the camera HDMI output. If you use a control/view device such as the Cam Ranger, you will be constrained to USB resolution, which is quite a bit less resolution, but may be absolutely fine for general image composition. I use a Small HD DP6 for fine adjustment of lens tilt angle and focus when the camera is too low to the ground for LCD use, and highly value the better resolution.
http://www.fredmiranda​.com/smallhd/ (external link)
Note this article is quite detailed about setting up the camera & monitor settings for maximum detail.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

junkyjunky
99 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 11, 2013 15:26 |  #23

Another alternative is the HDMI out on the 7D. This basically projects what you would normally see on the rear LCD. When I shoot in a room with one of my big screen TVs I'll connect the HDMI to get instant feedback on my pic. Taking this a step further, you could buy a cheap LCD monitor (easily had for under $100) with HDMI in and create a rig for shoots (you'd need a power source though - assuming that's not a problem).

Not exactly what you're after, but could help in a pinch.

7D | MeiKe Grip | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | Canon 50 f/1.4 | Canon 100 f/2.8L Macro | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L | TrioPo 980C | MeiKe MK-14EXT | Gear List | Feedback

jonathanheierle
THREAD ­ STARTER
604 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 11, 2013 17:18 |  #24

junkyjunky wrote in post #16288840 (external link)
Another alternative is the HDMI out on the 7D. This basically projects what you would normally see on the rear LCD. When I shoot in a room with one of my big screen TVs I'll connect the HDMI to get instant feedback on my pic. Taking this a step further, you could buy a cheap LCD monitor (easily had for under $100) with HDMI in and create a rig for shoots (you'd need a power source though - assuming that's not a problem).

Not exactly what you're after, but could help in a pinch.

that sounds awesome, i have a 39" smart tv so that could be an option, but hauling my tv to the bike shop may be a hassle but its worth a try

nma
69 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 12, 2013 10:50 |  #25

jonathanheierle wrote in post #16283565 (external link)
oh yeah thats fine, wait do you need the wireless transmitter grip? please tell me this isnt nescessary...

I scanned this thread and I did not see any suggestion for use of an Android tablet with USB cable. There are a large number of choices with different prices and somewhat different capabilities. The key enabling element is dDLR Controller, an Android App suitable for use on smart phone or tablet. The tablet offers a larger, more dedicated, option with 7-10 inch screen in the price range of $200 +/- $40. dSLR Controller costs $9 from the Google Play Store and installs itself automatically. You merely obtain the appropriate USB cable and you are good to go. I also bought a RAM mounting kit for my tripod, so now I can set this up in the field and seemy Samsung Galaxy II 7" screen, do focus bracketing, vastly extended HDR capture (not currently supported in Canon firmware) and both at the same time. Practically anything can be automated. dSLR Controller is listed in beta but all reports suggest it is fully stable and not what one thinks of as a beta product. There are home-brew kits to extend the functionality to wireless operation.

jonathanheierle
THREAD ­ STARTER
604 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 12, 2013 11:17 |  #26

nma wrote in post #16290855 (external link)
I scanned this thread and I did not see any suggestion for use of an Android tablet with USB cable. There are a large number of choices with different prices and somewhat different capabilities. The key enabling element is dDLR Controller, an Android App suitable for use on smart phone or tablet. The tablet offers a larger, more dedicated, option with 7-10 inch screen in the price range of $200 +/- $40. dSLR Controller costs $9 from the Google Play Store and installs itself automatically. You merely obtain the appropriate USB cable and you are good to go. I also bought a RAM mounting kit for my tripod, so now I can set this up in the field and seemy Samsung Galaxy II 7" screen, do focus bracketing, vastly extended HDR capture (not currently supported in Canon firmware) and both at the same time. Practically anything can be automated. dSLR Controller is listed in beta but all reports suggest it is fully stable and not what one thinks of as a beta product. There are home-brew kits to extend the functionality to wireless operation.

wow, thanks for the help sounds really awesome, I actually have a samsung galaxy 10.1 tab laying around, i just never touch it, so maybe i can convert that into my live screen

sponsored links

2,626 views & 0 likes for this thread
REALLY NEED HELP WITH LIVE VIEW MONITOR
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.