Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

DamianOz
696 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 09, 2013 09:22 |  #2431

silvrbullet wrote in post #16278678 (external link)
I'm curious to see how this setup works out. Please update us when you get your beauty dish!

I took my 30" umbrella frame octa outside and wasn't able to use it due to the wind. I'm wondering if a beauty dish would be better.

I'll report when I get it, I don't think it's been shipped yet, I think they're a couple weeks behind. I also ordered a double bracket, so I will be able to test with 2 360s in the one dish.

Bodies - Canon EOS 5DIII | EOS 6D
Primes - TS-E24 f/3.5L II | Σ 35mm F1.4 DG Art | EF 85 f/1.2L II | EF 135 f/2L
Zooms - EF 16-35 f/2.8L II | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Σ 24-105mm F/4 DG OS Art | Σ 120-300mm F/2.8 DG OS Sport

sponsored links
philpeterson
81 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 09, 2013 10:06 |  #2432

Has anyone done a test of the L4500 battery vs. Quantum Turbo 3?

I shoot Quantum flashes and love my Turbo 3 but I'm curious how the Cheetah battery compares.

www.phil-peterson.com (external link)

Meddin ­ Studios
32 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 10, 2013 21:48 |  #2433

Ok phew. Just finished a solid 4 hours of testing. Just to double check the 622s only work with HSS with the Flash in H Mode right? For some reason I thought I had success in regular mode with full power (but only 1/1, nothing less).

Ill post up all my results in next few hours which includes sync settings for using 1/8000 with TT1, TT5, +3's and CL-Tx vs 622's

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 10, 2013 23:21 |  #2434

Meddin Studios wrote in post #16286646 (external link)
Ok phew. Just finished a solid 4 hours of testing. Just to double check the 622s only work with HSS with the Flash in H Mode right? For some reason I thought I had success in regular mode with full power (but only 1/1, nothing less).

Ill post up all my results in next few hours which includes sync settings for using 1/8000 with TT1, TT5, +3's and CL-Tx vs 622's

The CLs will work in full power mode in FP-Sync. I haven't tried it with the 622, but it does work with the Cells Iic on my 5DIII.

I have an article describing the testing on www.digifotografi.com (external link)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Meddin ­ Studios
32 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 11, 2013 08:25 |  #2435

Excellent write up and some fantastic work. Love the last shot with the sun set.

Doesn't H Mode take a power hit vs regular? It just syncs better from 1/8 up to 1/1 with a proper trigger, right?

I did my testing with primarily 622's and all the PW's (minus the newer X's because I don't think they can support anything above x-sync due to only supporting channels 1-10 of which don't carry control TL info for HS). I think that I'm getting more output with these HS settings than with a cells II and H Mode shooting HSS. The limitation being I can only shoot 1/1 power. However I can roll the shutter as much as I want without needing to change any settings on my PW's or the CL's.

My exposures with regular mode HS Sync with TT1 and TT5 were at least 2 stops brighter than the 622's in H Mode. Probably even more. Last night was all about what settings actually gave me an exposure. Today is all about metering and seeing what has the most output.

TT1>+3 vs TT1>TT5 vs 622's vs TT1>CL-Tx vs CellsII. I know the kings perform same as 622's. I just don't have any Odin's to add to the mix.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 11, 2013 16:40 |  #2436

Meddin Studios wrote in post #16287608 (external link)
Excellent write up and some fantastic work. Love the last shot with the sun set.

Thanks.

Meddin Studios wrote in post #16287608 (external link)
Doesn't H Mode take a power hit vs regular? It just syncs better from 1/8 up to 1/1 with a proper trigger, right?

Yes, H mode, since it does the rapid cycling to extend the flash peak, does have a lower
luminosity. The long burn at full power means that one can take advantage of the full 300Ws (CL-360) with FP sync at fast shutter speeds before switching to H mode.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 11, 2013 17:06 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #2437

IMAGE: http://f.cl.ly/items/3t1w0X0z2v0l1d0a0k1Z/Diff70_1.jpg

IMAGE: http://f.cl.ly/items/2D3b1O402R1r0J153d0k/Diff70_2.jpg

IMAGE: http://f.cl.ly/items/140n1S3l1L1l0P1b0R1M/Diff70_3.jpg

IMAGE: http://f.cl.ly/items/13141J3Y470a0a0P2L0x/Diff70_4.jpg

IMAGE: http://f.cl.ly/items/0L2C0M212I0p1N0f2329/Diff70_5.jpg

Q-Man
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 11, 2013 18:17 |  #2438

^^^ Nice!

6D | 7D MkII | 16-35 f4L | 35 f1.2L II | 135 f2L | 180 f3.5L | 400 f5.6L
breathephoto (external link)

silvrbullet
616 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 11, 2013 19:52 |  #2439

Awesome! What modifier is that??

Sony A7RII | Zeiss Batis 2.8/18 | Fuji X-T1 | 23 F/1.4

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 11, 2013 20:17 |  #2440

http://smdv.nawala.co.​kr …iew.php?itemno=​1373251632 (external link)

http://www.amazon.com …00EJ841DG/ref=p​d_sxp_f_pt (external link)

saw em on the fotodiox site a bit ago

was going to get a 27 eli but was curious about this and doing the mount the same way like I am doing on my softlighter :)
which I posted here
https://photography-on-the.net …=softlighter#po​st16050390
since then I got a plate adapter to give it a little more support
http://www.kupogrip.co​m …mounting-plate-baby-stud/ (external link)

where did you get the speedring ? was going to use one of the QTM somehow I thought :)
also will be curious what ya think of it on build quality etc.. :)

ChadDahlquist.com (external link) - photography site
HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 11, 2013 20:55 |  #2441

Chad D wrote in post #16289546 (external link)
where did you get the speedring ? was going to use one of the QTM somehow I thought :)
also will be curious what ya think of it on build quality etc.. :)

The Quantum/Godox/Lumedyne​/Norman adapter doesn't seem to be advertised anywhere. I only knew it existed because I came across this image:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

It's the DA-03 and the Amazon seller you referenced has them.

The adapter itself is quite strong. It's only about 3-1/2 or 4 inches in diameter. It seems to have been something of an afterthought on the part of the manufacturer as installation requires the removal of the standard bracket mounting plate which is held in place by three nearly microscopic screws. Swapping between the standard shoe mount flash configuration and the Quantum/Godox/Cheetah configuration requires considerable care. Lose even one of the tiny screws and you're screwed (so to speak). It isn't a procedure you'd want to perform in the field.

I don't have much to say yet about build quality as the product was delivered to me just this morning. The temptation is to say that, while build quality seems adequate, it isn't commensurate with the price. There's more plastic than metal in the Diffuser-70 but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It does keep weight down and I was surprised that the accessory mount on my Cheetah CL-360 had no trouble holding this 28-inch diameter modifier securely.

The fabric shell is lightweight but seems up to the task at hand.

I haven't tried the shoe mount flash bracket but I must say it doesn't make the best first impression. It seems strong enough but, again, it's almost all plastic. It's also designed to be SMDV flash trigger friendly. It features an integral AA battery compartment on the back end that powers a compatible SMDV receiver. Two metal tracks embedded in the rail carry the 1.5V to the receiver.

All things considered, the Diffuser-70 is a very appealing product. It has an exoskeleton which opens quickly and closes instantly; it weighs relatively little; it can be fitted with a native Quantum/Cheetah/Lumedy​ne/Norman mount; it's 12-sided so it will produce almost round catchlights; and it's almost as deep as an Elinchrom 70cm Baby Deep Octa.

I'll be doing some testing with it in the days to come.

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 11, 2013 21:44 as a reply to  @ tetrode's post |  #2442

Nice soft light; nice round catchlights:

IMAGE: http://f.cl.ly/items/0m453K1j2l2x3L3s2d2I/Diff70_Wilbur.jpg

Diffuser-70 with CL-360 @ 1/16 +.7 power. ISO 400, f/9.

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 11, 2013 21:44 |  #2443

Ok thanks :)
Yeah funny I saw that pic on the Korean site and thought wow that is perfect ! And thought hey that is a godox !
My idea was do conversion be done with it :)

The nikonguy from OZ had a video a bit ago of the boxes before the 70 and showed how it popped closed :)

I have a eli 100 was going to get the 70 at some point
But also wanted to get away from adapters and stuff
If I could ?
My old 24 collapsible square box is dead and need a smaller one I can go through doors with for wedding season :) this seems perfect

Had a fotodiox diffuser on a 28 beauty dish but it had that cheap pink cast that can happen :)
My only fear sometimes on cheaper diffusers is that they can be way off temp ?

ChadDahlquist.com (external link) - photography site
HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

Meddin ­ Studios
32 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 11, 2013 22:26 |  #2444

I played around with a Diffuser 70 at a trade show where someone was displaying it briefly and loved it. The price is what killed it for me because I didn't want to buy into that bracket setup since I was knee deep in Bowens (and bowens to such and such adapters).

That's great with the Quantum ring on there!

My only thing is now in light of the new Phottix boxes I can't pull the trigger on a Diffuser 70.

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 11, 2013 22:34 |  #2445

I see things here that I like but I wonder would this kind of mounting put a load that would cause breaking of CL:

IMAGE: http://f.cl.ly/items/140n1S3l1L1l0P1b0R1M/Diff70_3.jpg

sponsored links

1,289,002 views & 272 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.