Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 10 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 19:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

iPhone 5s - New camera

Kolor-Pikker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 11, 2013 08:08 |  #16

aquaforester wrote in post #16287541 (external link)
Oh, but they can develop a 5C What that's not going to cut into the 5 and 5S.

Does it matter? Either way, they win, because more people will buy their product. :)

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

sponsored links
uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 11, 2013 08:14 |  #17

Does it do raw pics?

Haha. Very funny.

Seriously, did any of the rooting kits ever do anything about that?

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

Kolor-Pikker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 11, 2013 08:37 |  #18

uOpt wrote in post #16287569 (external link)
Does it do raw pics?

Haha. Very funny.

Seriously, did any of the rooting kits ever do anything about that?

No one managed to do that on the Nokias, so I'm not too sure about this one, but time will tell. Maybe the programming layer between the hardware and software doesn't allow for such in-depth control over data, you would actually need to have root access to the sensor itself to extract the Raw data. But if someone did manage to root the sensor, dumping the data to a DNG format would be relatively trivial.

Best thing would be to petition Apple for a native Raw shooting mode. Even better would be a Lightroom app that would let you convert the Raws right on the phone.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 11, 2013 09:36 |  #19

Will it work if I duct tape my various lenses to it? ???

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 11, 2013 09:58 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

http://www.pcmag.com …le2/0,2817,2424​229,00.asp (external link)

The Galaxy is far better but consider the price ..

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

aquaforester
884 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 11, 2013 10:15 |  #21

I have a ton of Apple products, but I now think Apple is also behind the times with a 16G model that isn't expandable. They want the phone to do everything, but they don't give you the space. Yeah I know you can get the 32G for another $100.

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear
Canon 60D, 10-18, 24 Pancake, 60 macro, 70-200 F4

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,590 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 11, 2013 10:58 |  #22

aquaforester wrote in post #16287541 (external link)
Oh, but they can develop a 5C What that's not going to cut into the 5 and 5S.

the 5C will not cut into the 5 sales as there is no 5 any more its a dicontinued model.

the line up is now 4S, 5C and 5S

I must agree with your last post, the only reason I can see not to have a microSD slot is to sell other models at inflated prices.

Whiteflyer Photography (external link) | Gear List

aquaforester
884 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 11, 2013 11:17 |  #23

whiteflyer wrote in post #16288039 (external link)
the 5C will not cut into the 5 sales as there is no 5 any more its a dicontinued model.

the line up is now 4S, 5C and 5S

I must agree with your last post, the only reason I can see not to have a microSD slot is to sell other models at inflated prices.

I meant the top model which yes of course is the 5S. So you have to go to a 4S to get a black iphone? That I don't get.

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear
Canon 60D, 10-18, 24 Pancake, 60 macro, 70-200 F4

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 11, 2013 11:29 |  #24

I see no reason to upgrade from my 5, little to nothing gained, certainly nothing worth the money it would cost. Still the same issues, lame battery life, no memory expansion possible (boo!) and $100 for a tiny bit more memory that costs practically nothing elsewhere nowadays. Could not care less about colors, I always have a case on my phone anyway.

As for size, personally I don't want anything larger in my pocket, this thing is uncomfortable enough already.

Apple is loosing steam, packing the 5 in colorful plastic and fiddling a bit with some minor things to call it 5S is not enough to excite me. But then, I'm quite happy actually, as I really don't want to shell out money every year for a new phone that actually does have something much better and worth the cost. I'm happy to wait an other year :-)

I have too many apps to switch to Android and start over again, otherwise some of those phones look just as good if not better. Apple needs to wake up and do so quickly, nothing much really exciting has come from them lately.

Coming from a 4/4S it's a worthy upgrade though

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 11, 2013 12:16 |  #25

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16287649 (external link)
No one managed to do that on the Nokias, so I'm not too sure about this one, but time will tell. Maybe the programming layer between the hardware and software doesn't allow for such in-depth control over data, you would actually need to have root access to the sensor itself to extract the Raw data. But if someone did manage to root the sensor, dumping the data to a DNG format would be relatively trivial.

Best thing would be to petition Apple for a native Raw shooting mode. Even better would be a Lightroom app that would let you convert the Raws right on the phone.

Well of course you'll have to root it :)

IIRC not even Android gives you pre-jpeg access to the camera sensor.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

SmokeySiFy
463 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 11, 2013 21:07 |  #26

Raw would be nice. How much would an adobe app for the phone be? $100? That would be ridiculous

500px Gallery (external link) -- Critique is OK: Feel free to critique any image I post
ChrisMeierPhotograpghy​.com (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 11, 2013 23:01 |  #27

SmokeySiFy wrote in post #16289678 (external link)
How much would an adobe app for the phone be?

$14.99 a month. ;)

benji25
974 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 11, 2013 23:36 |  #28

aquaforester wrote in post #16287919 (external link)
I have a ton of Apple products, but I now think Apple is also behind the times with a 16G model that isn't expandable. They want the phone to do everything, but they don't give you the space. Yeah I know you can get the 32G for another $100.

That or they realize most people stream music now and that if you really have THAT many songs you get an iPod.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 12, 2013 05:03 |  #29

the most interesting feature for me is the 120fps video. that should be cool.

other than that yawn. the only phone to get my interest this year has been the moto x and it is too soon to know if that has really delivered on the hype.

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 12, 2013 10:31 |  #30

phantelope wrote in post #16288119 (external link)
Coming from a 4/4S it's a worthy upgrade though

I have the 4 and was waiting to see what this upgrade would be. I'm not looking for the latest and greatest, and would keep my 4 if the battery was going out on it. I'll most likely get the 5s. I've looked at the samsung phones, the active one is nice, being water proof but the size is a turn off for me and the way I carry the phone.

With apple computers at work and home, it's just too easy to sync between the iphone and home computer so storage really isn't an issue. From what friends have said the syncing of the mac's to samsung is really an issue for them.

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

sponsored links

5,946 views & 0 likes for this thread
iPhone 5s - New camera
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.