Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 13 Sep 2013 (Friday) 15:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

eBay, why do you do this?!

WhenIWake
223 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2011

Sep 13, 2013 15:14 |  #1

Bidding on a BG-E6 for the 5D2 , it sold for £160 + £6 for delivery, second hand! Can pick them up new for £180. Described as "3 years old, good condition with only a few marks"
I keep finding this on eBay nowadays, things go for pretty much retail value and you run the risk of a defective item, with no warranty or the possibility of counterfeit goods.

eBay does not have the same bargain potential it used to :mad:
On the plus side, I have sold lenses at pretty much the same price I paid a year or two down the line.
Anyone else get wound up by eBay now?

5D II | 40D | 350D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM | EF 35mm f/1.4L
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Dmitriy
247 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 13, 2013 15:49 |  #2

eBay doesn't set prices, people do. When I sell my equipment I want to get the good money for myself. If no one buys it, I will lower it.

My Stock Photography (external link) | My Mobile Photography (external link) | My: Google + (external link) , Facebook (external link) , Twitter (external link)
Keywording Tool (external link) for stock photographers | Photo and videography (external link)

WhenIWake
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 13, 2013 15:52 |  #3

Dmitriy wrote in post #16294298 (external link)
eBay doesn't set prices, people do. When I sell my equipment I want to get the good money for myself. If no one buys it, I will lower it.

I understand how eBay works....

5D II | 40D | 350D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM | EF 35mm f/1.4L
flickr (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 13, 2013 16:13 as a reply to  @ WhenIWake's post |  #4

I don't see what the problem is, it's an auction and whoever is prepared to bid the most gets the item. Somebody was prepared to pay more than you, so they got the item. If they are happy to overpay for the item, that is their affair.

If you are complaining that that item regularly goes for overly high prices, that is market forces in play, if there are enough people out there happy to pay those prices then that is the typical going rate.

Nobody is forcing you to pay those prices, if you know where to get them cheaper, then get one from there. You can't blame ebay because somebody else bid more than you.

This is the way of auctions, not just ebay but land based auction houses, sometimes you get an item for what you are prepared to pay, sometimes you get an amazing bargain and sometimes you bid on loads of items and come away empty handed. Just keep watching until one goes at a price you can afford.

WhenIWake
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 13, 2013 16:24 |  #5

Im not blaming eBay in the slightest, just seems that people using eBay now have no logic whatsoever. What is the point in paying the same price, I have seen things sell for more second hand, that you could get said item for new. It makes no sense whatsoever.

flickr (external link)

Furlan
811 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 13, 2013 16:37 |  #6

WhenIWake wrote in post #16294375 (external link)
Im not blaming eBay in the slightest, just seems that people using eBay now have no logic whatsoever. What is the point in paying the same price, I have seen things sell for more second hand, that you could get said item for free. It makes no sense whatsoever.

I know where your coming from. This happens a lot with lenses I recently purchased a
Canon 50 f1.4 new from B&H for $299 ship free. Used ones were going for more plus
shipping on e-bay. If I'm going to buy used a want to see a 20-30% reduction from street price.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 13, 2013 16:57 |  #7

Im not blaming eBay in the slightest, just seems that people using eBay now have no logic whatsoever. What is the point in paying the same price, I have seen things sell for more second hand, that you could get said item for new. It makes no sense whatsoever.

There can be a number of possible reasons. Ebay is a worldwide market and items may cost more in other market places, so for a non-UK buyer the differential may be much greater, for them, between the ebay item selling price and a new item in their country. This can also be a matter of fluctuating exchange rates making a UK item cheaper at times.

Whilst a mere £20-30 saving on new might not mean much to you or I, for someone on a very tight budget it can be a significant saving and, so long as the item works as it should, can be a big factor for them.

And, of course, there are always those who don't research the market place thoroughly and just see a high street price which is usually more than you would see online, so they appear to be making a bigger saving. It is just as valid to ask why people still buy stuff on the high street, when most consumer items are easily found online at a good saving.

But, I don't worry about WHY somebody is prepared to pay more than I consider sensible, it is their concern, I just move on and look for a cheaper item. I have picked up items for a fraction of the "typical" ebay price simply because there was nobody else looking at the item (and by "a fraction", I mean getting items that may usually fetch say £40-50 for the 99p start price, simply because the seller was unlucky and I was the only person who spotted the item). I have picked up an item for £4.99, as the only bidder, when an identical item went two hours later for over £50 with several people fighting over it.

Auctions are a game and you need good tactics when buying or selling, and like any game there are winners and losers. Forget about the items you get outbid on and just keep looking, the bargains are out there.

WhenIWake
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 13, 2013 17:06 |  #8

Furlan wrote in post #16294400 (external link)
I know where your coming from. This happens a lot with lenses I recently purchased a
Canon 50 f1.4 new from B&H for $299 ship free. Used ones were going for more plus
shipping on e-bay. If I'm going to buy used a want to see a 20-30% reduction from street price.

Yep, for me I need a better saving than just a few £££'s , otherwise I feel would be as well buying brand new. eBay was my first point of call for my 35L , They were going for pretty close to retail, within £100 and I decided I would rather pick it up, in a brand new condition from a store on that day. £100 when you're already spending £1100 really isn't much.

sandpiper wrote in post #16294432 (external link)
There can be a number of possible reasons. Ebay is a worldwide market and items may cost more in other market places, so for a non-UK buyer the differential may be much greater, for them, between the ebay item selling price and a new item in their country. This can also be a matter of fluctuating exchange rates making a UK item cheaper at times.

Whilst a mere £20-30 saving on new might not mean much to you or I, for someone on a very tight budget it can be a significant saving and, so long as the item works as it should, can be a big factor for them.

Auctions are a game and you need good tactics when buying or selling, and like any game there are winners and losers. Forget about the items you get outbid on and just keep looking, the bargains are out there.

I hadn't really thought about people from overseas purchasing at a saving for them , that makes sense I guess.
I needed to vent, it has been such a long time that I found a bargain on eBay! Every time my maximum price is getting closer and closer to retail and I find myself thinking "What is the point?"
eBay used to be a good way of securing a bargain , but now it just seems people are determined even to save a few £££s

The lack of market research shows, anyone remember a now banned supplement called jack3d? I remember seeing a half empty/full tub of this for sale, and it went for £6 more than a full brand new tub was selling on amazon! I couldn't believe it! I even messaged the seller congratulating him haha.

flickr (external link)

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Gallery: 2123 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 13, 2013 18:29 |  #9

Just sold my sigma 10-20 and canon 50-250 and got more for them than I paid for them 2 years earlier.............bo​th sold for more than they could have been bought new as a grey import..............I guess folk are just wary about the grey market.

That said, I just picked up a mint 24-105 f4L for A$550 on ebay. I tend to keep an eye more on gumtree nowadays as the sellers seem to know what they want for an item and invariably add "negotiable"..........​..they seem keen to negotiate even without as they know they are saving on fees and a $500 lens can be bought for 450 as that's all they would get out of ebay anyway, after fees/paypal is sorted

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus PenF | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll x 2 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro | 14 -150 | 17mm 1.8 | 9mm BCL | Panasonic 12-32 | 25mm 1.7 | Panasonic Leica 8-18 | Panasonic Leica 100-400 | Godox TT685O speedlite

blogs
229 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 13, 2013 18:40 |  #10

I know exactly what you are saying-I was bidding on a 50mm 1.4 the other day, it was second hand and the third owner and ended up selling for $30 less than brand new lol!

Just further proof people are morons...

WhenIWake
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 13, 2013 20:04 |  #11

Thank god I am not the only one! It really is ridiculous at times. Good time to be an eBay seller I guess!

flickr (external link)

wanderx
34 posts
Joined May 2013

Sep 13, 2013 23:52 |  #12

its what happens when a site becomes popular. user base goes up as intelligent use of the site goes down. at least it's a good sellers market now lol

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 14, 2013 02:18 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #13

It does seem strange, but keep in mind - not everyone has the same playing field as you. Exchange rates, differences in freight & handling costs, or whether online shops will even ship to those countries are all potential factors.

B&H has free shipping to the USA. For some, a $6.25 filter from B&H will cost $6.25 (free shipping). For me, the same filter costs $37.91 by the time I pay for shipping.

If someone is selling the filter for $10 plus $7 to ship to me, I could definitely be tempted!

I have purchased some items on ebay that cost more than online shops, because the freight was included, or the freight was far more reasonable than the shipping of the item at the online stores. (Some shipping costs calculators at online stores have exceeded $100 for small items).

And then there's been other items which I can't even buy from places like Amazon because 'they do not ship those items to my country'. (Including books at times), and the local prices are so far different - it's far cheaper to buy 2nd hand on ebay.

Of course, there can also be those who just want to 'win' the bid, and get in the 'moment'. :)

I'm sure each item, each seller and each buyer are different, so there would be a multitude of factors at play for each item, but I have purchased grey market items that I know I can turn around and sell locally for more. I don't mind that... ;)

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Gallery: 2123 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 14, 2013 02:43 |  #14

I've bought some items from B&H despite their shipping costs as their prices offset it...............I find it extremely strange that Adoramas shipping costs to Oz are often 3 x that of B&H.............it must cost them some business

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus PenF | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll x 2 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro | 14 -150 | 17mm 1.8 | 9mm BCL | Panasonic 12-32 | 25mm 1.7 | Panasonic Leica 8-18 | Panasonic Leica 100-400 | Godox TT685O speedlite

Caffeine
136 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 27, 2013 20:18 |  #15

eBay can be good sometimes. I recently purchased a BG-E2N for AU$56, in mint condition with the AA battery magazine. I also snagged a spare BP-511 type battery (aftermarket) for AU$0.01 + $5 shipping. It cost the guy $6.95 to post it to me.

sponsored links

3,374 views & 0 likes for this thread
eBay, why do you do this?!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.