Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Sep 2013 (Saturday) 20:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dropping a brand new 5D3 onto concrete from a tripod =

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 15, 2013 06:19 |  #16

I was shooting at Daytona and I had my 7d with my 24-70 attached sitting on a guard rail.... well it turns out I didn't have it sitting right and it ended up falling over like 3 ft..... but it just so happen to have landed in pit of very soft sand lol. I got lucky needless to say.

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

sponsored links
philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 15, 2013 06:25 |  #17

I reckon at some stage I've knocked, bumped, dropped or had fall over every lens or body I've ever owned.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 15, 2013 06:26 |  #18

seoul4korea wrote in post #16297585 (external link)
Ibut it just so happen to have landed in pit of very soft sand lol. I got lucky needless to say.

Don't know about that... soft sand is probably worse than a drop, imagine if some of that sand got into the lens or into the mirror mechanism.

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

Dsick
71 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 15, 2013 06:28 |  #19

How does something as big and sticky as the 5D3 slip out of your hands? LOL i'd crapped my pants for sure, it'll always be in the back of my head that i dropped it and something got knocked out of place. My 6D is part of my limbs now, unless i lose an arm in the process, camera is not hitting anything...

When my gf wants to borrow camera to take pics, i put the strap around her neck and i follow within striking distance just in case she drops it i can dive in for the rescue.

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 15, 2013 06:37 |  #20

Dsick wrote in post #16297594 (external link)
When my gf wants to borrow camera to take pics, i put the strap around her neck and i follow within striking distance just in case she drops it i can dive in for the rescue.

Take your photos and stop worrying, the camera is designed to be abused. Take a look at this video.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k (external link)

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

Dsick
71 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 15, 2013 06:44 |  #21

Mornnb wrote in post #16297605 (external link)
Take your photos and stop worrying, the camera is designed to be abused. Take a look at this video.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k (external link)

I like to keep my things mint, thanks...just because you can abuse it, doesn't mean you should ;)

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 15, 2013 08:27 |  #22

Mornnb wrote in post #16297591 (external link)
Don't know about that... soft sand is probably worse than a drop, imagine if some of that sand got into the lens or into the mirror mechanism.

both are pretty well sealed, besides it the lens hood took most of it. It didn't matter too much as I had planned to send in the 7D a month later anyways (Which I did).

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 15, 2013 08:39 |  #23

Report to building inspector to check the concrete if up to the safety stander ASAP ;)

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

clacson
60 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 15, 2013 08:44 |  #24

ronfin wrote in post #16296897 (external link)
Anyone else have a heart-stopping moment like this with a camera?

I have. Last year on the second day of the two week trip to Caribbean islands I stumbled and the 60D hit to the street surface. The battery cover and battery flew away, the body got scratches and the lens 24-105mm were stuck. With force I got the lens off and normally on again. The camera and the lens has worked since without any problems. :D

| Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 DG II HSM |
| Canon EOS M | EF-M 11-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EOS EF-M adapter |
| Film Age: Canon EOS 33v, Canon EOS 5 |

Lucy ­ Brown
303 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 15, 2013 09:08 as a reply to  @ clacson's post |  #25

Back in the film days me and my buddy went to take some night shots of the statue of liberty. Obviously we needed tripods. I bought mine and he brings this little 1 foot tripod. I said to him "that's ridiculous. what the hell are you going to do with that"? So he proceeds to put the camera and tripod on the hood of my suv giving me this real smug I told you so look. I was like whatever and we started taking out shots. Well I ran out of film and had to get some more from inside my suv. I get my film and close the door and his camera topples of the hood and hits the pavement hard. It felt like it happened in slow motion. As shocking as it was all I could to was laugh hysterically. I almost pissed myself I laughed so hard. Man he was so mad at me. Nothing really happened to his camera but that incident was a matter that was hotly debated for a long time as to who's fault that was.

Refill
177 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 15, 2013 09:35 |  #26

Mornnb wrote in post #16297591 (external link)

I dropped my 7d on red dirt ground, while switching lenses "on the fly", no body cap of course! from a height of 1.2-1.5m. First day of a national parks tour in Asia! I felt so bad! All this hype about buying a rugged camera, and then this happens, open body...

Of course there was dirt inside, and all I could do was turn it downwards, and shake, then brush the dirty mount, try a lens, and... it worked! Still some huge black spots on the photos... but after some automatic sensor cleaning, they were gone. I was lucky.

Sand would be worse, I suspect. Ground dirt there was very fine grained (and not too wet!), not big enough to block some mechanism. Some dirt was probably trapped inside the body and kept coming out with the movements, as I still felt some abrasion later when changing lenses, but just brushing/air blowing the mount, and it went away completely after some time. It was the first and last time (I hope) it happened to me, so I attribute this accident to jetlag, it makes me feel better...

butcherman
916 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011

Sep 15, 2013 10:02 |  #27

Two years ago I drove to visit my stepdaughter and kids in VT. (10 hours drive). Had my camera laying on back seat and when I got there, I opened the door and camera (40D) dropped to the gravel driveway. I only took a few pictures and "error 99". Looked inside and the mirror did not look right. Anyways, I got a quote to fix ($250 to $300). Instead of getting fixed, I bought my 60D. Now the 40D sits on the shelf.

Canon 7D, Canon 50mm F1.8 STM, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS HSM , Yongnuo YN560 IV

ronfin
THREAD ­ STARTER
38 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 15, 2013 10:29 |  #28

seoul4korea wrote in post #16297439 (external link)
Lol right, also OP you might want to consider sending in the lens.

That was the first thing I thought about when it was stuck, but it's as if it never happened now except for the minor scratches on the body and lens hood. The zoom motion is fluid just as it was before my stupid maneuver.

Mackeral
524 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 15, 2013 12:00 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

Just dropped my x100 the other night. I was drunk so that may have had something to do with it, but it survived. I dread the day I drop my DSLR gear.

"Complete quietness surrounded me as the dense fog smothered all sounds. As the sun rose, lifting the fog to reveal this majestic mountain, all my thoughts of the daily hustle and bustle were put away, allowing me to sit in solitude with nature."
-Utter Bull

sponsored links

3,155 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dropping a brand new 5D3 onto concrete from a tripod =
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.