Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 11 Sep 2013 (Wednesday) 08:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoshop Saving File Qustion

jimlp
582 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2004

Sep 11, 2013 08:17 |  #1

Hi guys & gals, I hope I put this in the right forum. I just purchased a new Mac with a SSD and could not be happier but I have a question. I am not concerned about longevity and limited number of writes a SSD can accomplish in it's life span but the issue did raise a question in my mind, what counts as a "write" in a program like Lightroom/Photoshop? I am saving fils to an external drive so that is not counted but what about saves inside a program like PS/LR? Does a save in the program equal a write to the boot drive in a temp file? Is that considered the same as saving a file to the SSD? Thanks in advance for any replies I may reeive.

Canon 1DsMk2, EOS R, Canon 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f4.0L, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS vlll, Sigma 85mm f1.4

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Sep 15, 2013 19:45 |  #2

You'd have to have a very good understanding of how SSD controllers and the cache/history process works to even attempt to figure out what kind of wear is happening. The simple answer is that programs that use cache/history's will tax SSD's more than the average program. The actual writing of the image files probably doesn't even come close to how much a program is swapping, but I seriously doubt you'll have to worry about it. I'm still using a three year old SSD that is used daily, rarely turns off, and constantly does heavy work loads (gaming, photography, videography, web design, etc).

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 16, 2013 14:18 |  #3

In practice I doubt you'll have an issues. It should last as long as that computer, probably even longer.

Why are you using external disks? You lose much of your speed advantage there. Though if it's a thunderbolt disk and the cache is on SSD you're fine.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

572 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoshop Saving File Qustion
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.