Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2013 (Sunday) 03:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Questions about 70D...

Photo123abc
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 15, 2013 03:12 |  #1

Hi, I am planning to get second camera (I have 1100D). First I was thinking 7D but now the 70D came out and I cant decide wich one should I buy.

Is there an option to disable touchscreen on 70D? Whole touchscreen thingy doest work for me, so I hope it can be used like normal one.
How much abuse it can take, compared to 7D? Does it operate normaly in -30°C?

Wich one should I buy and why? I prefer bird and macro photography and I dont need video at all. More like fast AF, hing ISO tolerance, weather sealing and good frame rate.

-Ville Miettinen

You are what you eat - I dont remember eating a photographer.

sponsored links
artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,402 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 15, 2013 03:22 |  #2

If you have no interest in video then I would say go for the 7D, if you have then it's not so clear cut a decision.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

Lone ­ Rider
Goldmember
1,349 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 15, 2013 03:46 |  #3

Photo123abc wrote in post #16297440 (external link)
Is there an option to disable touchscreen on 70D? Whole touchscreen thingy doest work for me, so I hope it can be used like normal one.

I thought a touch screen would be a good thing? :confused:

Trevor

Photo123abc
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 15, 2013 04:01 |  #4

Lone Rider wrote in post #16297465 (external link)
I thought a touch screen would be a good thing? :confused:

Well, maybe in warmer countries, but you dont want to shoot without thick gloves at winter in Finland. :)

But 70D is way more "fresh" than 7D, so atleast it shouldnt be worse when it comes to IQ and hing iso performance?

sharraleigh
102 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Sep 15, 2013 04:27 |  #5

The high ISO performance isn't worse, but it isn't very much better either. I cap mine at 3200 because that's my max tolerance for noise.. I MIGHT use 6400 in a pinch, but that would take a lot of work post processing.

The 7D feels "sturdier", but am not sure if it's because it's got better weather sealing or not. I bought the 70D because it's newer. If you can wait, you might want to wait for the 7D2 but god knows when (if ever) it'll be released.

I do like the touch screen, though. I didn't think I would, but it helps when I want to pick a focus point quickly or zoom into pics to see whether the pic looks ok at my settings. Do you only take pictures in winter?

Canon 70D, 550D + Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 28mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8
Flickr (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 15, 2013 06:56 |  #6

Wich one should I buy and why? I prefer bird

7D - The two AF modes missing from the 70D are the most useful for bird photography.

and macro

70D - Flippy screen is wonderful for macro compositions.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 15, 2013 07:42 |  #7

Maybe it's just me but I don't use the AF point expansion mode and spot AF too much for my bird photography.

I've been an owner of a 7D (actually 2 different ones) for 4 years. We have a touchscreen T4i in the family too. The flippy screen is very useful, and the touchscreen is also useful sometimes. But the good thing about the T4i (and the 70D) regarding the touchscreen is that Canon wisely did not choose to eliminate functions operated by buttons, it did not dumb down actual physical button operations in favor of touch screen operations. So basically the touchscreen is there, it's useful, but if you don't want to use it, it can operate just like a conventional, non-touch screen.

I've also been thinking of switching to a 70D from my 7D, but I'm still not 100% convinced. I like the 70D, but at the current price difference I'm not yet ready to make the move.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

Photo123abc
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 15, 2013 08:15 as a reply to  @ gabebalazs's post |  #8

At macro work flipscreen is no doubt exelent.

Hollis, what modes specifically are missing? I use pretty much every time single spot AF on my 1100D when shooting birds.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 15, 2013 08:40 |  #9

Photo123abc wrote in post #16297738 (external link)
Hollis, what modes specifically are missing? I use pretty much every time single spot AF on my 1100D when shooting birds.

The 70D is missing Spot focusing and Single Point Expansion. They're explained, along with the other modes, here - LINK. (external link)

Single Point Expansion is very useful if, like me, you're not great at keeping the single AF point on a flying bird. If it does slip off then the AF system will check to see if one of the neighbouring AF points has got the bird - and switch to that point.

Spot focus is handy for birds in trees/bushes. The AF point is smaller than normal, making it easier to focus on the bird rather than twigs, etc. in front of it.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

TJays
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 15, 2013 08:52 |  #10

I agree with hollis, in my view if your wildlife it's the 7D, if your into video then the 70D might be better suited. The 7D is a very tuff camera and takes a lot of abuse, handling and weather conditions. I have shot with a friends new 70D and I'm not sold on it, but that's just my view.

Regards
Terri Jean

5D4 Gripped-EOS 1DX Markll -600mm/4.0 II L-35-350mm/3.5 L-70-200/2.8 L-24-70mm/2.8 L-85mm/1.2 II L-50mm/1.2 L

Photo123abc
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 15, 2013 08:59 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #11

Hmm, I think might I go for the 70D after all.

By the way, is it possible to use your smartphone as a remote trigger via WiFi?
That would help alot when it comes to photographing very shy birds!

cc10d
812 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Sep 15, 2013 09:09 as a reply to  @ Photo123abc's post |  #12

If you haven't used the expanded focus system, you do not know what it can do for your keeper rate. Mine went up greatly when started using the 7D. Only thing I have used that equals it is my 5D3. FWIW (I have had all the xxd's since the 10D. None touched the 7d. I still use it often.) Speaking largely of birds in flight.

cc

YashicaFX2
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 15, 2013 10:18 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

I agree with the OP. The whole idea of touch-screen bothers me. I've had a flippy-screen-thing on my 60D for over two years, and have yet to flip it. So, can anyone answer the OP's question? Is it possible to disable the touch aspect of the screen. I see that causing more problems for me than it would ever solve.

Two minutes later...
I just looked at the 70D manual online. On page 56 there are instructions for setting how the Touch-Screen responds: STANDARD, SENSITIVE & DISABLE. There you have it; the touch screen can be disabled.

Dedicated APS-c shooter. Gripped 60D, 60 2.8, 10-22, 15-85, Σ70-200 OS and a big white something or other! Plus a 5D w/28-75.

Photo123abc
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 15, 2013 10:27 as a reply to  @ YashicaFX2's post |  #14

Well, 1100D doesnt have that kind of AF neither, and it keeps up very good when shooting BiF. Btw have tested 7D earlier, AF is very good, but I realy shoot BiF rarely, compared to birds in landscapes and on the ground / trees and bushes.

70D however would have that wifi thingy (I guess?), that would open a whole new way to photography birds with wide angle lens. Wich I am more intrested than shooting BiF.

I can already see the future: Buy the 70D, download app to your smartphone, app doesnt work... :lol:

TaggM
250 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 16, 2013 00:31 |  #15

I'm mulling this over, too. The sticky point for me is the fabled 7D II which might be released about a year from now and likely listing over $2000.

Refurb 7D with battery and charger is $1200 right now from Canon USA (external link) -- same as list for 70D. Used 7Ds run around $825 right now via Amazon (external link).

I am keenly interested to find out how the 7D and 70D compare for:
1. AF focus acquisition effectiveness and speed in moderate light, say 10 EV, with the subject in low contrast against background.
2. Noise for one frame in 1 EV at 1/250 sec, 3200 ISO, no flash.
3. HDR -- 7D in post-processing; 70D in camera.
4. Multiple frame noise reduction -- 7D in post-processing; 70D in camera.

Either would get me another body now for about $1000 less available to put towards two 7D IIs merely a year ish from now.

I have Canon gear. SX1 IS, two 7D bodies and mostly f/2.8 lenses 10mm-200mm, doubler, and 17/4 TSE, some 580EX IIs. Additional portable lighting gear, and tripod with 360 pano mount. Want two 7D II bodies.

sponsored links

6,642 views & 0 likes for this thread
Questions about 70D...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.