Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Sep 2013 (Monday) 04:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D vs 1D IV for wedding

igora90
923 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 16, 2013 04:57 |  #1

Yes, I'm debating at the moment whether should I change my 6D to 1D MK IV as there's a good deal at local shop where they're selling used 1D IV bodies for 1700€. I can get around 1400€ for my 6D. I recently changed my 5Dc to 1D MK III to get better af system and it's nice to have two different formats at a wedding shoot because then I have better coverage when talking about focal lengths. I was thinking now would it be silly to change my 6D to 1D IV as well? I would get a superior af and better handling for a low price. Come on, it's the 1D IV! I never thought I'd be even thinking about it. But there's a thing that makes me hesitate and that's the fact that I would lose full frame and outstanding ISO performance of the 6D. It surprised me a little that 6D was so much better than the 1D IV in higher ISOs. Many say that the 5D III is so much better than The 1D IV in every aspect so should I just hold on those 300€, keep shooting with the 6D and save some more for the 5D III? I love my 6D but I'm don't trust 100% to it's AF capability when it comes to moving people etc.

As the title says, I shoot mostly weddings but every now and then some portraits, landscapes and some little action like dogs and little children.

2x Canon 6D, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART, EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 135 F/2.0
www.iirorautiainen.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Sep 16, 2013 06:41 |  #2

Keep in mind you will be dealing with a 1D Mark IV weakness: it does a poor job of focusing in low light with ai servo. One shot is much better, but after owning multiple bodies and talking to others it can be a real problem. If my main job was weddings, I would not trade a 6D for a 1d4. I think you will learn to regret that trade. If you are always shooting in good light, sports, etc then I would do it without question.

Jason

whothafunk
156 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 16, 2013 09:50 |  #3

1D4 has more than capable ISO performance, and kicks 6D in the testicles with the energy of a fully operational battle station regarding AF, FPS, buffer, robustness and just about everything else.

Even 5D3 has a tough battle to fight against 1D4.

1DX :: 300mm 2.8L IS USM :: 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II :: 8-15L f4 USM fisheye :: 24-70 2.8L USM :: 1.4x III extender :: Tamron 15-30 f2.8 VC

igora90
THREAD ­ STARTER
923 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 16, 2013 11:04 |  #4

Okay thank you for your comments! Has anybody else something to say about the focusing system, is it really that bad in dim conditions such as churches?

2x Canon 6D, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART, EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 135 F/2.0
www.iirorautiainen.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

KeyserSoze1
525 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 16, 2013 11:07 as a reply to  @ igora90's post |  #5

Can't speak of the 1D IV but the 6D was absolutely wonderful in low light. That -3 EV was very responsive and accurate in dim conditions.

I shot my first wedding using a 6D and 24L, 50L combo and I could practically point the focus points on anyone under any condition and I had lots of keepers.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1317580

Canon 5DM III, 35 1.4 II 50 1.2L
Canon 6D/// RX1

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 16, 2013 11:07 |  #6

Mostly shoot weddings ? Keep the 6D.

sponsored links

4,267 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D vs 1D IV for wedding
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.