Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 15 Sep 2013 (Sunday) 04:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mrk III

Glen ­ Irven
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 15, 2013 04:08 |  #1

This is a simple question, I want to put a telescope on the end of the camera and start doing Astrophotography. Spoken to camera shops and telescope shops and everyone give me a different answer.

1. Needs to be cheap
2. Small ish (Not allot of space, also something I can grab and go)
3. Really just interested in the moon, need the bug to bite and look and learn.
4. Don't have a laptop or webcam, so don't go down that route either.
5. I do also have the Sony RX100 as my point and shoot, my pocket option for travelling light.

I know this has been asked before, but a list somewhere of DSLR's and Telescope that will work word be most useful.

If its helps I can lists ones that have been suggested and ones that I'm looking at. I just wanted to see if the experts (you) were also recommending me same.

Many Thanks
Glen Irven LRPS, CPAGB, BPE1*

sponsored links
the ­ jimmy
Goldmember
1,423 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 15, 2013 05:56 |  #2

Glen Irven wrote in post #16297487 (external link)
This is a simple question, I want to put a telescope on the end of the camera and start doing Astrophotography. Spoken to camera shops and telescope shops and everyone give me a different answer.

1. Needs to be cheap
2. Small ish (Not allot of space, also something I can grab and go)
3. Really just interested in the moon, need the bug to bite and look and learn.
4. Don't have a laptop or webcam, so don't go down that route either.
5. I do also have the Sony RX100 as my point and shoot, my pocket option for travelling light.

I know this has been asked before, but a list somewhere of DSLR's and Telescope that will work word be most useful.

If its helps I can lists ones that have been suggested and ones that I'm looking at. I just wanted to see if the experts (you) were also recommending me same.

Many Thanks
Glen Irven LRPS, CPAGB, BPE1*

Hello Glen and welcome to the forums, perhaps if you could tell us what you'd like to spend for this we can narrow it down for you.

rfdesigner
147 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 15, 2013 09:26 |  #3

Welcome.. scopes eh?

I think it's 'how long is a piece of string'.. but I'll give it a go.

Probably your best bet to to find a local astronomy club and see what different scopes give you..

For 'cheap' I'd be looking at something like an 8" newtonian, as 'short' as I could get (you won't get less than 800mm fl, it's easy to add a barlow to lengthen the fl, but near to impossible to shorten them). Also it's small enough to still just about be a 'grab and go' You would do well to look at dedicated imaging newts (focusser is closer to the main mirror).. also make sure it's got a mirror fan, or fit one yourself.. makes a huge difference to image quality.. a cheap 'tracking mount' is nice, and will take the fuss out of repeatedly finding objects but won't be good enough for much deep sky imaging, a 'propper' mount could be as much as your 5D... possibly much much more.

Canon is THE way to go for astronomy other than dedicated CCD cameras... Their RAW files really are raw, they work without a lens, so you can attach to anything, and Canon provide developer support meaning there is a whole world of free software out there for controlling cameras and processing images... there are even a wealth of "how to"s for modifying camera bodies.

For imaging I would always want a computer to hand, which normally means a laptop.. even if it's a cheap old single core one.. then you can download images and inspect properly in real time, less crucual for luna though... so maybe that that wait a bit.

I think thats all the important parts.

take your time.. and have fun.

Derek

30D, 18~55mm, 100mmf2.0, various Praktica, Atik 383L+ mono & filter wheel, 12" imaging telescope

Glen ­ Irven
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 15, 2013 11:50 |  #4

I'm based in Guernsey as far as I know there is only one club? Been to an open day, don't seemed geared to my photographic questions. It also meets on the same night as my camera club so will need to balance that some how in the future :D

My budget is between £200 - £400ish Wife happy as long as its well spent *cough!

Was hoping to get a second hand one on fleabay and work my way up depending on interest and results .

Here is a shortlist:

Celestron Astromaster 130EQ
Sky-Watcher Skymax-102 SynScan AZ
Celestron NexStar 127 SLT GOTO Computerized Maksutov Cassegrain Telescope
Skywatcher Skymax 90 (EQ1) Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope
CELESTRON NexStar 4SE

the ­ jimmy
Goldmember
1,423 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 15, 2013 14:27 |  #5

Glen Irven wrote in post #16298286 (external link)
I'm based in Guernsey as far as I know there is only one club? Been to an open day, don't seemed geared to my photographic questions. It also meets on the same night as my camera club so will need to balance that some how in the future :D

My budget is between £200 - £400ish Wife happy as long as its well spent *cough!

Was hoping to get a second hand one on fleabay and work my way up depending on interest and results .

Here is a shortlist:

Celestron Astromaster 130EQ
Sky-Watcher Skymax-102 SynScan AZ
Celestron NexStar 127 SLT GOTO Computerized Maksutov Cassegrain Telescope
Skywatcher Skymax 90 (EQ1) Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope
CELESTRON NexStar 4SE

The Celestron NexStar 127 SLT is an Altazimuth mount which isn't good for astrophotography, you'll need an equatorial mount for astro imagining. The quality of the mount is everything, otherwise you'll be frustrated. Perhaps spending your budget on just a mount, or a dedicated astro imaging tracking unit such as the iOptron Sky Tracker (external link) might be an option. You can mount your camera and lens to the mount, take a look at this thread, it has many examples of what you can capture without a telescope.

Toxic ­ Coolaid
Goldmember
1,108 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 15, 2013 16:44 |  #6

To be honest for good images you're looking at something like a Celestron VX mount ($800) and maybe a AstroTech 6in newt ($300), AstroTech coma corrector ($150), T-rings and other attachment stuff ($100). Like you said, everyone will have a different opinion. The Celestron VX + AstroTech AT65EDQ would make a great start up kit. You need to think of how much time you have to spare for Astro Photography, How often the weather will allow for AP, Where you can go for dark skies. Then there is filters, dew zappers, processing software....

You can do some good stuff with just a lens and a tripod. I would give this a try 1st and see where you want to go from there. Here is a link to a video tutorial using a lens and a tripod shooting Andromeda.
http://www.youtube.com …er_embedded&v=e​0JSTF8SGi4 (external link)!

Glen ­ Irven
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 15, 2013 17:52 |  #7

Toxic Coolaid wrote in post #16298991 (external link)
To be honest for good images you're looking at something like a Celestron VX mount ($800) and maybe a AstroTech 6in newt ($300), AstroTech coma corrector ($150), T-rings and other attachment stuff ($100). Like you said, everyone will have a different opinion. The Celestron VX + AstroTech AT65EDQ would make a great start up kit. You need to think of how much time you have to spare for Astro Photography, How often the weather will allow for AP, Where you can go for dark skies. Then there is filters, dew zappers, processing software....

You can do some good stuff with just a lens and a tripod. I would give this a try 1st and see where you want to go from there. Here is a link to a video tutorial using a lens and a tripod shooting Andromeda.
http://www.youtube.com …er_embedded&v=e​0JSTF8SGi4 (external link)!

Some serious kit there, I don't have any big zooms and no reason to go down that route any time soon. The Astrotech looks really good, not sure that's still a too bigger step for me and kit that will be hard to source where I live.

Any other makes?

Thanks for all the reply's its been most helpful bw!

Toxic ­ Coolaid
Goldmember
1,108 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 15, 2013 19:13 |  #8

Orion makes decent stuff. I've seen images with their ST80. Many people useit as a guidescope because of it's price, low weight and wide FOV.

Glen ­ Irven
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 16, 2013 02:15 |  #9

Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ

This one seems popular in eBay I guessing this will be money wasted?

rfdesigner
147 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 16, 2013 16:58 |  #10

The budget makes a slight difference check out 'skywatcher' they are a "readily" avaiable brand in the UK, good at bang for buck at the cheaper end of the market.

I've used both firstlightoptics and ian king imaging and would happliy reccomend both (owners are into astronomy personally), I believe rother valley optics get a good press... there are others

Also check with the astro club, they may well have someone selling some kit.

I would be careful about sub 6" (150mm) reflectors. I have a TAL-1M which I would reccomend without a moments hesitation even though it's only 110mm, it's Russian and built like their tanks, but needs modifying for prime focus photography, if you're not happy taking a drill to a scope then you'll need soemthing else.

I just checked FLOs pages and they have this at £415.

http://www.firstlighto​ptics.com …er-explorer-200p-eq5.html (external link)

However don't just "buy anything".. pick up the phone and talk with the vendors especially the two I mentioned.

30D, 18~55mm, 100mmf2.0, various Praktica, Atik 383L+ mono & filter wheel, 12" imaging telescope

sponsored links

1,889 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mrk III
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.