Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 29 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 17:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe Lightroom 5 - $99 @ B&H

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 30, 2013 12:50 |  #16

I got the promo code email twice. I gave one code to someone local on FB wondering why LR3 wasn't working with her 5D Mark III CR2 files. I've got another code. **GONE** I subscribe to CC, so I really don't need a boxed or download version of LR5.

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

sponsored links
photography ­ By ­ Evangelos
Goldmember
1,167 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 30, 2013 13:36 as a reply to  @ jacuff's post |  #17

PM sent!

Goldmember
1,167 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 30, 2013 13:55 as a reply to  @ photography By Evangelos's post |  #18

Many thanks to jacuff for the coupon code I got the $99 dollar deal you rock my friend!:)

PryorKnowledge
98 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 30, 2013 17:19 |  #19

Could someone explain the differences between DPP, LR, and Photoshop? I almost always use DPP, but I've messed around with Photoshop before. How "in the middle" is Lightroom and would it be worth upgrading to?

shinksma
710 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 31, 2013 08:46 |  #20

Russ61 wrote in post #16253639 (external link)
Any functional difference between the boxed and download versions?

The boxed version is almost guaranteed not to be up-to-date. ;)

The only advantage the boxed version gives is getting the media for use where a direct download is a pain (and sneaker-net with USB stick also not convenient). I downloaded the trial version, and when my box arrived used the license key to register. My disc could contain nothing, for all I know...

IMHO,

shinksma

5DII | T3i | EF 17-40 L | EF 24-105 L | EF 24 1.4 L II | EF 28 1.8 | EF 85 1.8 | EF 70-200 2.8 L IS II | EF 100-400 L | EF-S 15-85 IS USM | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS USM | EF-S 10-22 USM | EF 100 2.8 Macro USM | EF-S 18-55 IS | EF 35-80 III | EF-S 55-250 IS | Rokinon 8mm FE | EF 75-300 non-USM III | SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 | Tamron 70-210 | 430EX II | Kenko 2x MC4 and 1.4x Pro300DGX TC

shinksma
710 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 31, 2013 08:56 |  #21

PryorKnowledge wrote in post #16254458 (external link)
Could someone explain the differences between DPP, LR, and Photoshop? I almost always use DPP, but I've messed around with Photoshop before. How "in the middle" is Lightroom and would it be worth upgrading to?

As a recent convert from DPP to LR5 I can say this:

LR5 has a few more controls over DPP for such things as color and contrast, and a few nifty tools like spot removal and an adjustment brush for local effects. At first blush these might seem like trivial differences, but they are not.

On top of that, I have experienced a limitation in DPP regarding how much dynamic range it is actually able to achieve on a given image. LR5 seems to be able to pull out details from blown highlights and shadows that DPP just can't find.

IMHO LR5 is well worth spending $100 to get that extra pop that other folks seem to get that I always struggled to find using DPP. If you aren't one to play with your contrast, tone curves and color controls much, then DPP probably does enough. But I had reached my creative limits with DPP, so LR5 was a welcome upgrade. For me, though - I cannot speak for others. YMMV.

PS is an even more powerful editor that provides lots and lots of tools for pixel-level editing, layering, and straight-up graphics creation. For the photos I take it doesn't offer anything I can't achieve in the GIMP (a free tool), but for anyone that does serious graphics design PS is essential. But that's straying further into pro-tool territory. I would start with LR, especially since it is currently available as a stand-alone product (not "the cloud", grrr).

Again, IMHO, IME, AFAIK, YMMV, etc,

shinksma

5DII | T3i | EF 17-40 L | EF 24-105 L | EF 24 1.4 L II | EF 28 1.8 | EF 85 1.8 | EF 70-200 2.8 L IS II | EF 100-400 L | EF-S 15-85 IS USM | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS USM | EF-S 10-22 USM | EF 100 2.8 Macro USM | EF-S 18-55 IS | EF 35-80 III | EF-S 55-250 IS | Rokinon 8mm FE | EF 75-300 non-USM III | SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 | Tamron 70-210 | 430EX II | Kenko 2x MC4 and 1.4x Pro300DGX TC

Goldmember
1,167 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 06, 2013 06:22 as a reply to  @ shinksma's post |  #22

Man I ordered this 6 days ago and it still has not shipped.....Guess there was a ton of orders?

Asterisk
THREAD ­ STARTER
890 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 06, 2013 07:15 |  #23

photography By Evangelos wrote in post #16272520 (external link)
Man I ordered this 6 days ago and it still has not shipped.....Guess there was a ton of orders?

Was it OOS when you ordered it?

Also B&H is closed for holiday until next week.

Goldmember
1,167 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 06, 2013 09:24 |  #24

OOS out of stock? No it was in stock if that's what that means

Goldmember
1,167 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 15, 2013 20:05 as a reply to  @ photography By Evangelos's post |  #25

My package from B&H shows as delivered Saturday 14th FedEx via USPS however I did not get it....Hmmmm never surprises me USPS guess I need to call B&H in the morning what a headache when did FedEx allow USPS to touch their packages? Seems like a bad idea for FedEx, hope I can get this resolved quickly this is taking quite a bit of time......

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 16, 2013 08:38 |  #26

photography By Evangelos wrote in post #16299373 (external link)
My package from B&H shows as delivered Saturday 14th FedEx via USPS however I did not get it....Hmmmm never surprises me USPS guess I need to call B&H in the morning what a headache when did FedEx allow USPS to touch their packages? Seems like a bad idea for FedEx, hope I can get this resolved quickly this is taking quite a bit of time......

You have to pay a little bit more to get true FedEx or UPS service. The cheaper rates often use FedEx SmartPost or UPS Mail Innovations. FedEx/UPS deliver to the post office and leave it to the postal service to make the final delivery.

What the tracking tells you is that your packaged was delivered by FedEx to USPS on Saturday. USPS will probably deliver it to you today.

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

paintcheck
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 16, 2013 17:00 as a reply to  @ jacuff's post |  #27

Bummed I missed this deal. I've been wanting to get it for a while now. *sigh* guess that's what I get for waiting..:o

Camera(s): 7D, (wishing for a 5dm3)
Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5
Cards: 16GB/32Gb SanDisks CF

Goldmember
1,167 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 16, 2013 19:11 as a reply to  @ paintcheck's post |  #28

The part I don’t get FedEx had the package the entire time untial it got to my town then they hand it over to USPS (big mistake) for delivery....Well I found the package in my box today with a note from my neighbor a few house down saying the package was in their mail box/ they were out of town for the weekend so they placed it in my mail box today. Glad I have honest neighbors

sponsored links

3,999 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe Lightroom 5 - $99 @ B&H
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.