Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 26 Aug 2013 (Monday) 08:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for insurance company NOT for a pro photog?

JTodd
325 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 26, 2013 21:42 |  #16

The PPA has nice insurance and it's included with the membership - you only need to opt in. That's probably the only reason I joined.

5D Mark II
| Canon 17-40L | Canon 24-70L | Canon 70-200L II | Tamron 90 Macro | Sigma Macro Ring Flash | Elinchrom D-Lite 4 IT and BXRi 500 |

sponsored links
baj2k
724 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 26, 2013 23:01 |  #17

+1 on State Farm. I have a Personal Valuable Property policy and I got a slight discount because they have my house, cars, life, etc.

iirc mine was around $10 - $12 per $1000 insured, no deductible, covers everything accidental / theft / lost. They asked for item description, serial numbers and receipts (if I had one). The only uncovered exceptions are the standard war zone, riots, civil unrest, mayhem, etc.

raysabz
647 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 26, 2013 23:27 |  #18

i just had my gears insured together with renters insurance with American Family Insurance...so far I havent claim anything for damages...anyone who experienced negative about this insurance company?

DavidWatts
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 27, 2013 00:33 |  #19

Allstate just quoted me $33/yr. on up to $15K for non-professional coverage (meaning no liability).

My Smugmug site (external link)

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 27, 2013 01:45 |  #20

raysabz wrote in post #16243070 (external link)
i just had my gears insured together with renters insurance with American Family Insurance...so far I havent claim anything for damages...anyone who experienced negative about this insurance company?

I have used American Family Insurance in Colorado several years ago and had two separate occasions of 'oops'. They took care of each one quickly. The first case was an overnight replacement of the camera while the second was within a week.

http://www.ronbaileyph​otography.com/ (external link)

res
895 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 27, 2013 06:39 |  #21

I just went through my local state farm office this past Friday and got a quote. This was for the personal article insurance and I am NOT insured in anyway by them. There MIGHT be discounts by the sounds of it if you DO have your home and autos through them. They quoted 1.69 per 100 for "hobby" photographers and 2.39 per 100 for "Pro" photographers. (If you make money with your camera) I am going to shop it a bit more even though I now many rates are fixed since my agent did not know a lot about the coverage. She was going by the State Farm sheet and reading off the benefits.

jason118
129 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 27, 2013 06:43 |  #22

I would like to know how insurance companies reimburse a total lost/ stolen gear. Companies go by the depreciated value or by the replacement value?

Canon EOS 5DIII, EOS 6D, Canon 24-70 F2.8 II, Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS II, Canon 85mm F1.2 II, Canon 24-105mm IS, Canon 100mm F2.8 IS macro, Speedlite 600 EX-RT, Canon 1.4X III

paintcheck
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 16, 2013 08:42 |  #23

reefvilla wrote in post #16241095 (external link)
Ok.... That I will look into. If I can keep it separate that will work great.

AND YES.... I'M ANAL and PARANOID! :lol::mrgreen:

Nothing wrong with that. I also added a Personal Articles Coverage policy to cover all of my camera equipment. Costs me 30$/year for my little 2200$ worth of gear, but it is a stand alone policy independant of my renters, car, and home electronic policies.

I've been with state farm for years and have been hit twice by others and never have my rates gone up.

edit: to jason118: my policy with state farm is to pay full replacement cost up to purchase price of the item (800$ camera will be paid out up to 800$ for its replacement, etc) You have to ask your carrier for the details.

Camera(s): 7D, (wishing for a 5dm3)
Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5
Cards: 16GB/32Gb SanDisks CF

badams
699 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 16, 2013 15:52 |  #24

So as far as reimbursement goes, on something like the Canon 500mm f4L. What would they do about replacing it? I paid around $5k for it new, then the new prices went up to $7.5k and now I'm assuming you can't get a new one since the mkII's are out. And the mkII's are about double the price of what I paid for a new mkI?

I currently have renter's insurance on my gear since I sold my house in January of this year and have been living with my family. The company I had my house and car insurance with, didn't have a personal articles insurance so I only had a rider at the time. When I sold the house, they put me on renter's insurance plan and added the camera to it.

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 16, 2013 16:27 |  #25

Depends on the plan, but my plan will replace when possible with new or updated. In your case with the 500mm, they said they would cut me check for the cost of the lens and tax when I bought it originally.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

ekinnyc
785 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 16, 2013 17:56 |  #26

curious about the low rates that StateFarm offers. i have personal items policy as part of my homeowners policy with allstate. not sure how much just that portion added to my policy, but my annual cost is about $420 (nyc)

i think i called SF once, and was told that they dont offer it without having other insurance through them... couldve been just that broker, not sure. any experiences from NYC shooters?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 16, 2013 18:16 |  #27

I have State Farm Personal Property insurance with no other insurance/services through them. My insurance is about $10 per 1000. I had to call a second agent when I initially wanted to sign up as the first automatically said they don't insure in my zip code. Second agent was kind enough to double check and sure enough, no problems.

Gear & Feedback

oscardog
356 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 16, 2013 20:17 |  #28

Hey sorry if this was already answered,but I was wondering since i was looking into state farm as well how they appraised your gear. Ive bought mostly all my gear used, so i dont have any receipts for anything. My gear totals around $3000. Do i need receipts to get insurance? Thanks

Gear: 6D, 7d Mark II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, Canon 16-35 f4 IS, Sigma 24mm 1.8, Canon 70-200 f4 (non IS), Sigma 500 4.5 DG, Kenko 1.4x & 2x converters

badams
699 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 16, 2013 20:46 |  #29

pdrober2 wrote in post #16301656 (external link)
Depends on the plan, but my plan will replace when possible with new or updated. In your case with the 500mm, they said they would cut me check for the cost of the lens and tax when I bought it originally.

Well that would suck if anything ever happened to it. Couldn't afford a new one and don't know how fast I could find a used replacement.

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

ekinnyc
785 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 17, 2013 13:02 |  #30

oscardog wrote in post #16302232 (external link)
Hey sorry if this was already answered,but I was wondering since i was looking into state farm as well how they appraised your gear. Ive bought mostly all my gear used, so i dont have any receipts for anything. My gear totals around $3000. Do i need receipts to get insurance? Thanks

likely you will need to prvide proof of value. what i did was call B&H and explain the situation - they just gave me an estimate of all of my gear (i think it was their used price), and that was enough to satisfy the requirement for the insurance co

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links

2,929 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for insurance company NOT for a pro photog?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.