Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Sep 2013 (Saturday) 13:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Multiple Cheetah Lights vs Multiple Canon 600ex Speedlites

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 16, 2013 15:57 |  #16

The YN-560 have a very low heat threshold. I don't recommend them for one shooter, let alone two. I'm ditching them as room lights.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links
FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 16, 2013 18:12 |  #17

MDJAK wrote in post #16300187 (external link)
For me, money is also not an issue, i sponsor Omar every month

don't forget Nicky :lol:

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

protege
135 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 16, 2013 18:23 |  #18

Heat is an issue with speedlights in events (such as weddings). If you still want something like a speedlight, but can handle the heat better, then maybe the Nissin MG8000. I'm debating getting one myself as my go-to portable light for weddings. B&H has a great offer on right now.

GooseberryVisuals
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 16, 2013 18:29 |  #19

superbad wrote in post #16301531 (external link)
My ideal situation is to have a flash in each corner of the room during ceremony, first dance, garter toss, etc. (which would be 4 flashes)

My main issue was mainly misfiring, or one going off and the other not. It doesn't help that the 430ex II cannot accept a battery pack since my 580ex II had one. Also, It seemed like the range felt too limited, or people in the way perhaps caused it not to fire.

Because of this, lighting on faces would be inconsistent at times, but rare.

1 light in each corner of the room means that in every photo, you'll have a visible lightstand and flash going off.

Crank your ISO up. You should be at 800 or 1600 at 2.8. At these settings, your flashes shouldn't been working too hard, depending on the size of the room.

Q-Man
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 16, 2013 18:55 |  #20

I went from 3 speedlights to 3 Cheetah Lights (2x360 and 1x180), and I don't miss the speedlights at all. I haven't missed the ETTL yet either. Love the Cheetah Lights!

6D | 7D MkII | 16-35 f4L | 35 f1.2L II | 135 f2L | 180 f3.5L | 400 f5.6L
breathephoto (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,637 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 16, 2013 20:04 |  #21

ZachOly wrote in post #16301956 (external link)
1 light in each corner of the room means that in every photo, you'll have a visible lightstand and flash going off.

Crank your ISO up. You should be at 800 or 1600 at 2.8. At these settings, your flashes shouldn't been working too hard, depending on the size of the room.

Who says you have to shoot the corners of the room? I routinely use four lights and the majority of my shots don't have my lights in them.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,835 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 16, 2013 20:23 |  #22

jcolman wrote in post #16302200 (external link)
Who says you have to shoot the corners of the room? I routinely use four lights and the majority of my shots don't have my lights in them.

Besides that.... sometimes the flash from the light looks pretty dam good. But back on topic, After reading everything that Tim and Nickson put out, Im finding that strobes are a better way to go for me. If im inside i can always find power. Especially receptions. But if not the vagabond minis do the job well. I dont know what the cheetahs cost but an AB800 and a Mini is a $$$ 518.00 investment. I find that the pocket wizard flexTT5 can trigger these strobes from 60-70 yards away every single time. So 4 lights can be way to much in some reception areas 2-3 lights is always desirable. And with a mini in the camera and a flash to act as some fill,,, im shooting at 200-320 ISO and getting great results. Not sure about the cybersynchs but for me the key is having the ability to get a light in a bracket to fire with the strobes and screw the ambient. i can control everything at that point. Doesnt take that long to figure this out.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 16, 2013 20:49 |  #23

umphotography wrote in post #16302255 (external link)
Besides that.... sometimes the flash from the light looks pretty dam good. But back on topic, After reading everything that Tim and Nickson put out, Im finding that strobes are a better way to go for me. If im inside i can always find power. Especially receptions. But if not the vagabond minis do the job well. I dont know what the cheetahs cost but an AB800 and a Mini is a $$$ 518.00 investment. I find that the pocket wizard flexTT5 can trigger these strobes from 60-70 yards away every single time. So 4 lights can be way to much in some reception areas 2-3 lights is always desirable. And with a mini in the camera and a flash to act as some fill,,, im shooting at 200-320 ISO and getting great results. Not sure about the cybersynchs but for me the key is having the ability to get a light in a bracket to fire with the strobes and screw the ambient. i can control everything at that point. Doesnt take that long to figure this out.

I like to at least show that other lights are lit. Sconces, ceiling, etc.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

superbad
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 17, 2013 14:15 |  #24

Thanks to everyone's feedback. I still haven't decided which lighting system to get, although I'm now leaning more towards cheetah lights for power, recycle time and good reputation here.

I thought I had enough time to research since wedding season was about done for me and our next wedding isnt until November, but we just got a last minute request for the 25th! Almost a week!

I wish there was a way I could easily play around with both lighting setups before ordering them but neither of my local rental camera stores carry what I want.

PS - Mr JColeman - appreciate your insight! I saw your thread about your lighting setup for weddings a few weeks ago, and you are really the inspiration for improving my lighting situation for weddings!

5D III | 7D | 24-70 2.8L | 35 1.4L | 70-200 II 2.8L | 50 1.4 | 600EX-RT x3 | ST-E3-RT Transmitter

superbad
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 17, 2013 14:56 |  #25

I just learned the cheetah lights do not have high speed sync without the needed additional accessory, which also makes it a bit cumbersome to carry the remote throughout the wedding. This might be the deal breaker for me....

Video i saw:

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=2YxkMeMvzC8 (external link)

5D III | 7D | 24-70 2.8L | 35 1.4L | 70-200 II 2.8L | 50 1.4 | 600EX-RT x3 | ST-E3-RT Transmitter

GooseberryVisuals
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 17, 2013 16:30 |  #26

superbad wrote in post #16304393 (external link)
I just learned the cheetah lights do not have high speed sync without the needed additional accessory, which also makes it a bit cumbersome to carry the remote throughout the wedding. This might be the deal breaker for me....

Video i saw:

You won't need HSS at a reception.

Have you considered just buying 1 Cheeta light? I mean, they can still compliment speedlights. There's no need to invest $3k+ into a system, only to find out you leave them at 1/16 power, and really only use 2.

jcolman
Goldmember
2,637 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 17, 2013 18:04 |  #27

superbad wrote in post #16304393 (external link)

Video i saw:

I can count on two fingers how many times in the past 10 or so weddings, dozens of portraits and a number of engagement and commercial shoots I've needed to use HSS. When I did use it, it's a simple matter of putting the cells transmitter of my hotshot, setting the lights to to HSS mode and firing away.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 17, 2013 18:19 |  #28

I have 4 600s, 2 CL-180s, 2 CL-360s, and 4 Einstiens.
Which get used for a job depends on the requirements.
I learned how to use ETTL effectively quite awhile ago and use it as my default.
I've used monolights with ETTL speedlites at receptions.
I've used CL-180 or 360 outside when required.
My default is to use the 600s because I can use all in ETTL and control them independently via the Gr mode on a 5DIII.

If money is not a hindrance, get kit that permits you selecting what is best for the job based on the situation for that job.

As an aside, Jim has a favored approach and it works for him, I have a somewhat different approach and it works for me. The truth is that there are usually two or three solutions that work. Then it becomes a matter of which you become most comfortable with.

I would never share speedlites with another photographer. That is definitely means CLs or monolights.
At a reception with higher ISO the power will be set low enough so recycle time becomes a non-issue.

If you go to my wedding website (external link) just about every image in the portfolios has a flash element. Mostly speedlites in ETTL.

The only time I aim a camera mounted speedlite at the subject is outside for fill. Everything inside is bounced.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links

6,168 views & 0 likes for this thread
Multiple Cheetah Lights vs Multiple Canon 600ex Speedlites
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.