Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Sep 2013 (Monday) 22:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5dmkII vs Nikon D7100 IQ

sega62
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 16, 2013 22:18 |  #1

I was curious about the nikon d7100 image quality so I bought the camera.
After spending a few hours taking some shots with both cameras in Raw, I was shure that Nikon would be better, thats what I saw on the camera screen.
So when I upload these images to my Mac, I was relief in a way that the Canon was indeed better, specially when cropped.
I know we are talking bout a $1100 camera vs a $1800, but when I read all these reviews i was not sure bout my 5dmkII IQ anymore.

I love the screen on the Nikon, love the brightness of the viewfinder, love the way the shutter is working, hate the grip, love its weight, hate the wheels location, love the menu.
Weird thing about the screen, it makes the sky look almost turquoise.but the pics looks ok on the mac, its just the sceen.

I tough I could use my canon flash with the D7100, but it seems that its not compatible on the camera hot shoe.the salesman did not told me that, he said it would be fine.....

Anyway, I will return the camera, since my flash are of no use, i am getting the 70d

sponsored links
Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 16, 2013 22:33 |  #2

So you bought a camera, used it, then returned it? That seems unfair to the seller if they now have to give you a 100% refund and sell it as used. If they will sell it as new, then it is not fair for the next guy that buys it. :confused:

I hope when you say "try out the 70D" you mean you will use it in the store or rent one. I would hate to be the guy that gets stuck buying cameras you decided to try out and return.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 16, 2013 22:40 |  #3

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #16302562 (external link)
So you bought a camera, used it, then returned it? That seems unfair to the seller if they now have to give you a 100% refund and sell it as used. If they will sell it as new, then it is not fair for the next guy that buys it. :confused:

I hope when you say "try out the 70D" you mean you will use it in the store or rent one. I would hate to be the guy that gets stuck buying cameras you decided to try out and return.

The thing that hapenned is the camera saleman told me my flash would be compatible....which they are not, their policy is if i,m not happy i could returned it, i only shot 200 pics, and did not opened most of the stuff that came with it.
I could give them a little cash for the renting ;)

By the way the post is about IQ, please try to stay on the subject

panicatnabisco
968 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 16, 2013 23:00 |  #4

Wow you racked up 200 shots and returned it? You're one of those guys :rolleyes:. Who cares about IQ, what you did was pretty lame. I hope they dont let you refund the 70D.

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 16, 2013 23:06 |  #5

panicatnabisco wrote in post #16302632 (external link)
Wow you racked up 200 shots and returned it? You're one of those guys :rolleyes:. Who cares about IQ, what you did was pretty lame. I hope they dont let you refund the 70D.

Gee, you dont read ....
I was told my flash would fit the nikon.....
Which is not true.
And i am talking bout IQ, if i am lame to you, too bad boy

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 16, 2013 23:22 |  #6

Geez guys lighten up ,seems like he explained the problem well even though he has no obligation to do so.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 16, 2013 23:30 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

sega62 wrote in post #16302532 (external link)
will try out the 70d....meaning buying it and keep it.

That's a novel idea...buy it and keep it. I agree with the other posts regarding shooting off 200 shots then returning the camera. Boo on you.

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 17, 2013 01:02 |  #8

sega62 wrote in post #16302580 (external link)
By the way the post is about IQ, please try to stay on the subject

You simply say "So when I upload these images to my Mac, I was relief in a way that the Canon was indeed better, specially when cropped." So if you want a feedback on IQ thread, you should post something other than a single sentence. It would have been nice to see some actual images as well comparing the two.

You also edited your post to include keeping it, when you clearly stated try it out. You can say what you like, but to me your post reads that you wanted to try it and return it if you were not happy.

As to one of your comments about the screen. My friend has a D4 and I just hated the screen as it had a horrible green tint. I know we should look at the histogram, but the color representation was so far off that I would always worry if I got the shot right. I saw another guy with a D800 and his screen wasn't as bad, but had a yellow tint to it.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

fishingkats
46 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 17, 2013 01:23 |  #9

I don't see why every one is crying about you returning the camera ...... I say try it if you don't like it take it back and get what you want ...... have fun shooting what ever camera you buy...

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 17, 2013 01:48 |  #10

fishingkats wrote in post #16302850 (external link)
I don't see why every one is crying about you returning the camera ...... I say try it if you don't like it take it back and get what you want ...... have fun shooting what ever camera you buy...

So you would have no problem buying a new camera at a store, to get home and find it has 200 shots on it? You're VERY understanding!

Kel
Gear

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 17, 2013 02:19 |  #11

Sounds like you are using the salesman as an excuse to be able to return it. You probably had the intention of returning it and this is your "out". If you have a 5D mark II I would think you would have done your own research rather than relying on a retail employees knowledge. You should suck it up and sell it online yourself.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 17, 2013 04:13 |  #12

IQ is the subject, but I should have mentioned QI to some.
But I will answer to those idiots, when you buy a camera from future shop, they give you 30 days to return if you are not happy.
So, since I cannot use my flash with the D7100, as I was told that it would be ok by the saleman,s, well I am not going to buy another set of flash for the use I do.
And I dont think that 200 shots is a lot.
I remember buying my 5dmkII from Future Shop from a person that tried it and was not happy with it, and noticed my mirror was scratched, i did not matter, the camera was in perfect condition overall.

So since the thread is about IQ, Lets keep the thread peaceful!

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 17, 2013 04:18 |  #13

sega62 wrote in post #16303030 (external link)
IQ is the subject, but I should have mentioned QI to some.
But I will answer to those idiots, when you buy a camera from future shop, they give you 30 days to return if you are not happy.
So, since I cannot use my flash with the D7100, as I was told that it would be ok by the saleman,s, well I am not going to buy another set of flash for the use I do.
And I dont think that 200 shots is a lot.
I remember buying my 5dmkII from Future Shop from a person that tried it and was not happy with it, and noticed my mirror was scratched, i did not matter, the camera was in perfect condition overall.

So since the thread is about IQ, Lets keep the thread peaceful!

:rolleyes:

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 17, 2013 04:25 |  #14

Firstly, here in Europe at least, everyone has the right to try something and if they do not like it if bought online, return it. For whatever reason. Then the retailer should return it to where it came from and that will be sold as refurb or whatever. I know people who buy from amazon, use something for a week then send it back, cheaper than renting for sure. But it is LEGAL over here.

In store stuff is different, becasue you had it in your hands before you bought it. But if someone points you wrong then you have rights and the shop has an obligation to make you happy.

Back on track here, why would you think a crop sensor camera would match a seriously good full frame camera? I am not blaming you but there is way too much BS and marketing leading people wrong, in pretty much every product on the market. But the internet is full of test and reviews and samples, just a question of homework. ;)

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

5DM2User
76 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 17, 2013 04:30 |  #15

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #16302562 (external link)

Well, i wish every new camera and every new lens would be in a sealed box !
Every factory should do that ! Because a sealed box is the ONLY way to see if it is 100% new. And yes, i would hate it to.... to pay the full price for a second hand thing.
Maybe it did go back to some store because of the matter of fact it was only a 98% lens. And it should go back to the factory not to me.... just an example.

IF the seal is open ? It is NOT new anymore... did you drop it ?
Did you got some lucky day and drop it without any damage ?
Isn't funny.... happens with some computer stuff to !!

And.... there is soooo much of BS about the 5D Mark II.... it is NOT Canon's Best Of All Time Digital camera !! But why are some pro's still using it ??
Just like the BS about Tamron's....... IF money would grow on tree's ? I would have some tree's here... and some nice camera's and some lenses....

2X Canon 1Dx, 2X Canon 5D Mark III, 2X 24-70 f2.8 II, 2X 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 2X 580EX II, L-24mm, L-35mm, L-50mm, L-85mm, A Mack truck full of Pro-Photography stuff, A bunch of Malinois to protect and serve. A Hummer to go where i want to go, to take photographs.... :lol:

sponsored links

5,777 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5dmkII vs Nikon D7100 IQ
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.