Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 15 Sep 2013 (Sunday) 19:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who uses step stools at events???

foxbodychris
250 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 15, 2013 19:34 |  #1

I realized this weeknd I am going to be needing a light weight step stool to carry around with me. Other spectators next to me have no idea how hard it is to pan a race car with them right next to me. I have no room to follow the car without having to look around their head or hands!! So with that said who carries a light weight stool and is it difficult. I was using my cooler and it did awesome getting above the people next to me but hate that it is so narrow, LOL.
Oh and BTW I set a garbage can to the right of me and my bag to the left of me and some guy decided to slip right in between me and the can when I bent over to change memory cards!!! This was before I decided to use my cooler as a step stool.

Canon 1D Mark III, 7D Mark II gripped, 70-200 2.8 IS II, manfrotto monopod, manfrotto tripod
FACEBOOK (external link)
FLICKR (external link)
WEBSITE (external link)

sponsored links
20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 16, 2013 12:22 |  #2

And what about the people behind you?

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 16, 2013 13:08 |  #3

foxbodychris wrote in post #16299321 (external link)
I realized this weeknd I am going to be needing a light weight step stool to carry around with me. Other spectators next to me have no idea how hard it is to pan a race car with them right next to me. I have no room to follow the car without having to look around their head or hands!! So with that said who carries a light weight stool and is it difficult. I was using my cooler and it did awesome getting above the people next to me but hate that it is so narrow, LOL.
Oh and BTW I set a garbage can to the right of me and my bag to the left of me and some guy decided to slip right in between me and the can when I bent over to change memory cards!!! This was before I decided to use my cooler as a step stool.

I set a garbage can to the right of me and my bag to the left of me.

Let me see if I have got this right. You want to pay one entrance fee take three places and block the view of people behinde you. bw!

foxbodychris
THREAD ­ STARTER
250 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 16, 2013 17:14 |  #4

20droger wrote in post #16301009 (external link)

There is no one directly behind me. And if there is they are in the grandstands well above my head.

cdiver2 wrote in post #16301149 (external link)
I set a garbage can to the right of me and my bag to the left of me.

Let me see if I have got this right. You want to pay one entrance fee take three places and block the view of people behinde you. bw!

Lol you make it sound like im boarding a plane and 800 lbs and need 3 spots. You dont pay for spots btw you pay for seats!
Now if you have ever been to a top fuel event you know it is awesome to get some spectacular shots if you can. If you pan than you should know its very difficult to pan and follow the subject when you are boxed in. All while trying to not hit the people or fence while panning. When I stepped on my cooler all problems were solved because now I was maybe a foot taller and above their heads to make a smooth pan. Its not like I want to bring a 8ft ladder lol.

Canon 1D Mark III, 7D Mark II gripped, 70-200 2.8 IS II, manfrotto monopod, manfrotto tripod
FACEBOOK (external link)
FLICKR (external link)
WEBSITE (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,356 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 16, 2013 17:58 as a reply to  @ foxbodychris's post |  #5

Anything more than platform shoes would be bad form, in my opinion.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

foxbodychris
THREAD ­ STARTER
250 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 16, 2013 18:17 |  #6

So you all are saying that if was a foot taller then it would be bad? Ok I am going to go a bit further on this. I see all the time those media photographers up near starting line with their 4 foot ladders and such. Are they blocking the view for others, HECK YEAH!!!! But nobody says a word to them. I on the other hand just want to be a foot taller to were I can pan without hitting someone is all.
I wonder if people complain when basketball players attend these events cause they sure of heck are a lot taller than 6 1/2 foot.

FACEBOOK (external link)
FLICKR (external link)
WEBSITE (external link)

El ­ Diablo ­ Grande
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 17, 2013 07:56 |  #7

20droger wrote in post #16301009 (external link)

I would suggest they get a taller step stool...

:D

No one has ever laid on their death bed wishing they'd been more practical...

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 17, 2013 09:05 |  #8

If I did what you do, I'd probably end up getting my ass kicked, and since I'm officially a geezer - getting my ass kicked is not on my agenda. I heal slowly, if at all...

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 17, 2013 10:05 |  #9

rick_reno wrote in post #16303505 (external link)
If I did what you do, I'd probably end up getting my ass kicked, and since I'm officially a geezer - getting my ass kicked is not on my agenda. I heal slowly, if at all...

Amen!

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 17, 2013 10:28 |  #10

foxbodychris..........​..welcome to the board of assumtions and judgments! Ask a simple question, get slammed for something you arent doing.

foxbodychris
THREAD ­ STARTER
250 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 17, 2013 17:38 |  #11

Now again there is a wall directly behind me so the people behind me are well above me in the stands. Its not like it is 3 deep with no standing room its usually just a single line along the fence. So I am not blocking anyones view. Tell ya what forget I even asked,

flashpoint99 wrote in post #16303739 (external link)
foxbodychris..........​..welcome to the board of assumtions and judgments! Ask a simple question, get slammed for something you arent doing.

You're right about that

FACEBOOK (external link)
FLICKR (external link)
WEBSITE (external link)

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 19, 2013 00:08 |  #12

foxbodychris wrote in post #16304826 (external link)
Now again there is a wall directly behind me so the people behind me are well above me in the stands. Its not like it is 3 deep with no standing room its usually just a single line along the fence. So I am not blocking anyones view. Tell ya what forget I even asked,

You're right about that

I think you have already answered your question....you obviously have respect for others and take their view into consideration...if you need the stool absolutely bring it. If it helps get the shot that's all that matters. As far as this board goes it is 90% constructive,
. Hang in there an keep shooting...I'd like to see some of your shots when you get a chance

foxbodychris
THREAD ­ STARTER
250 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 19, 2013 05:35 |  #13

flashpoint99 wrote in post #16308280 (external link)
I think you have already answered your question....you obviously have respect for others and take their view into consideration...if you need the stool absolutely bring it. If it helps get the shot that's all that matters. As far as this board goes it is 90% constructive,
. Hang in there an keep shooting...I'd like to see some of your shots when you get a chance

Thanks yeah I don't really see any harm in bringing one its not like I am bring a 12 foot ladder, lol. The thing is is it's hard to pan when you are bunched up and could be dangerous because someone could get whacked upside the head by a lense by accident. I might even consider putting the stool up against the brick wall and that way for sure no ones view is blocked.
Anyways here are a few I took this last weekend
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1330102

FACEBOOK (external link)
FLICKR (external link)
WEBSITE (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,356 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 19, 2013 09:40 as a reply to  @ foxbodychris's post |  #14

Have you considered a milk crate? They're fairly light, but can hold a lot of weight. Might look a little funny carrying one around, though.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Yno
862 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 19, 2013 10:49 as a reply to  @ LV Moose's post |  #15

Use a milk crate to carry in your gear, then turn it over for a step stool. Pretend it is an "Ah-ha!" idea that just came to you.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,107 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who uses step stools at events???
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.