Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 24 Aug 2013 (Saturday) 17:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tips for focused large group photos?

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 24, 2013 17:39 |  #1

Soon I'll be shooting at a family reunion/picnic at a lake (not paid, just for fun, but also to try to get good pics of the whole family), and it's only my second time attempting to do a group shot, but the first I wasn't very pleased with.

People: At least 25 including kids

Lighting: Outdoors; shade and some soft light during sunset.

Position: Thinking of placing the kids sitting down in the front, then the second row would be people in wheelchairs and the petite, and so on until the tallest people are in the back. All standing except the kids and handicap.

Gear: Just my tripod, camera and 2 lenses. Maybe flash too but not sure if I should use it.

My concern is will I be able to have everyone in the picture focused?

Also, between my 50mm and 55-250mm lens, which one should I use for this group photo?

Any tips/suggestions are more than welcome.

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

sponsored links
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 24, 2013 18:32 |  #2

Focus on someone in the centre of the middle row, use a fairly small aperture to get sufficient depth of field and you should be fine. Just keep in mind that the more rows of people you have, the more depth of field you will need.

I would use the 50mm, rather than the 55-250, as it should be sharper.

rockfordhx
696 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 11, 2013 14:25 |  #3

sandpiper wrote in post #16236709 (external link)
Focus on someone in the centre of the middle row, use a fairly small aperture to get sufficient depth of field and you should be fine. Just keep in mind that the more rows of people you have, the more depth of field you will need.

I would use the 50mm, rather than the 55-250, as it should be sharper.

agreed. Use your 50mm if possible.

You can use some Depth of field calculators online and apps for the android. But as an example.

If you have a crop body (50D,40D, etc) with a 50mm lens and shooting at f5.6

If you are 20 feet from the subjects and given the above settings you can achieve a total of about an 11 foot depth of field.

http://www.nathan-photo.com (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 11, 2013 14:37 |  #4

shoot with the 50mm and focus 1/3 of the way into the group. Put you flash on and set it to -1FEC to fill in any shadows.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

Color_blind
78 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 17, 2013 19:30 |  #5

Take the flash w/ you just incase you never know when you might have to shoot under trees or something casting a shadow

Rig - 60D + Sigma 17-70 + 430exii (Orbis Ringflash)
Please like me on FB if you get a chance.
www.facebook.com/Mr.Ca​ketown (external link)

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 17, 2013 21:03 |  #6

Thank you all for your advice! It was really helpful. I didn't end up doing a group shot that day because the event was cancelled, but I definitely feel more prepared for when I'll have to do it in the future.

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

sponsored links

1,884 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tips for focused large group photos?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.