Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 17 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 18:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do the amazing landscapes we see exist??

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Gallery: 2123 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 17, 2013 22:29 |  #16

Mark0159 wrote in post #16305461 (external link)
As long as the end of the day you get that vision you wanted when you pressed the shutter button.

Therein lies the difference I guess. Some choose not to have a "vison" other than what lies purely within the capability of the lens. What's in their head (or not) seems to be of no consequence other than the purist technicalities of actually taking the shot. The difference between a documenter and an artist/crafsman IYW

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus PenF | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll x 2 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro | 14 -150 | 17mm 1.8 | 9mm BCL | Panasonic 12-32 | 25mm 1.7 | Panasonic Leica 8-18 | Panasonic Leica 100-400 | Godox TT685O speedlite

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
37,067 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 17, 2013 22:32 |  #17

There are people that photograph objects. They take a photograph of a red car and yep that looks just like a red car. Technically perfect. And then there are those that take a photograph what that red car means to them. Which one do you think is special?

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
37,067 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 17, 2013 22:35 |  #18

bidkev wrote in post #16305489 (external link)
Therein lies the difference I guess. Some choose not to have a "vison" other than what lies purely within the capability of the lens. What's in their head (or not) seems to be of no consequence other than the purist technicalities of actually taking the shot. The difference between a documenter and an artist/crafsman IYW

Yep!!!!! I agree.

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,932 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Sep 17, 2013 22:38 |  #19

bidkev wrote in post #16305489 (external link)

yes and for some that's fine. that's what photography is all about for them. They have to capture what's in front of them the way it really is. We need people like that in photography just as we need those like Ansel Adams.

All photographers are needed, those that edit and those that do not. those that can and those that can't. even the ones who don't share. Photography is never about anyone else but the view in front of the camera and the photographer. The viewer is secondary.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 17, 2013 22:49 |  #20

Happysnapperman wrote in post #16304959 (external link)
The reason I decided to post is that when considering to goto places to photograph I wonder if they really look like they are depicted by other photographers.

Those locations are very unlikely to look the same to you as they did to other photographers. Seeing is a highly personal, subjective experience. Go to those locations to find out what *you* see, not to find out if there is some objective match to be made.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 17, 2013 23:15 |  #21

Mark0159 wrote in post #16305522 (external link)
yes and for some that's fine. that's what photography is all about for them. They have to capture what's in front of them the way it really is. We need people like that in photography just as we need those like Ansel Adams.

All photographers are needed, those that edit and those that do not. those that can and those that can't. even the ones who don't share. Photography is never about anyone else but the view in front of the camera and the photographer. The viewer is secondary.

Agreed. There's a place for all "types". It's just a pity that some "purists" don't seem able to acknowledge that, or that the tools they use, can be used differently by those with similar tools.

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus PenF | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll x 2 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro | 14 -150 | 17mm 1.8 | 9mm BCL | Panasonic 12-32 | 25mm 1.7 | Panasonic Leica 8-18 | Panasonic Leica 100-400 | Godox TT685O speedlite

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 17, 2013 23:17 |  #22

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16305504 (external link)
There are people that photograph objects. They take a photograph of a red car and yep that looks just like a red car. Technically perfect. And then there are those that take a photograph what that red car means to them. Which one do you think is special?

Ask Monty Python that ;) :lol:

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Sep 17, 2013 23:18 |  #23

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16305504 (external link)

You're confusing technician/artist and means used. They're independent.

So besides the types you listed, there are those that need to photoshop a photo of a red car to make it red. They think they're special. They think they're artists. They think they're photographers. Do you think they're special?

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

blogs
229 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 17, 2013 23:20 |  #24

I think we are talking different slants here-what I'm refering to is pictures that have been butchered to unrealistic levels-for examples colors that just aren't possible in reality. These pics look terrible to me and many others. These pics are typical of newbs playing with Lightroom and shoukdnt be encouraged IMHO

Of course pics that have been adjusted 'slightly' to covey the mood can be wonderful, but the imperative word is slightly

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Sep 17, 2013 23:23 |  #25

blogs wrote in post #16305014 (external link)
There has been a bone of centention for me for quite a while.

Since last January, right? :rolleyes:

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 17, 2013 23:25 |  #26

blogs wrote in post #16305587 (external link)
I think we are talking different slants here-what I'm refering to is pictures that have been butchered to unrealistic levels-for examples colors that just aren't possible in reality. These pics look terrible to me and many others. These pics are typical of newbs playing with Lightroom and shoukdnt be encouraged IMHO

Of course pics that have been adjusted 'slightly' to covey the mood can be wonderful, but the imperative word is slightly

Yes, just like when people edit a landscape to make it black-and-white: it's just so fake! So not possible in reality! ;)

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Sep 17, 2013 23:28 |  #27

Phrasikleia wrote in post #16305593 (external link)
Yes, just like when people edit a landscape to make it black-and-white: it's just so fake! So not possible in reality! ;)

Or use a long exposure to blur the motion of a waterfall or to catch several lightning strikes in a single shot. Landscape photos that look nothing, absolutely nothing, like what was actually visible to the naked eye. It's a travesty, I tell you! :lol:

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Sep 17, 2013 23:30 |  #28

Happysnapperman wrote in post #16304959 (external link)
Were those mountains that colour, was the water a deep turquoise, were the leaves really that vivid?

It's not as vivid. The blacks are not that black. The whites are not that white.

The colors are often not that saturated. But the trick is not to make a literal copy of reality. It can be done. Google maps does this sort of documentary. WYSIWYG

The trick is to distort reality through your medium to make an interesting photograph. That requires you to see differently. It's like learning to paint. You have to learn to see reality, and be able to deconstruct it into shapes, textures and brightness which can be put down on paper... all of them determine the mood.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

blogs
229 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 18, 2013 00:15 |  #29

Phrasikleia wrote in post #16305593 (external link)

krb wrote in post #16305599 (external link)
Or use a long exposure to blur the motion of a waterfall or to catch several lightning strikes in a single shot. Landscape photos that look nothing, absolutely nothing, like what was actually visible to the naked eye. It's a travesty, I tell you! :lol:

Wow, so are you defending newbs who over process pictures that look terrible, or are you just being trolls...

Gee that forum can be so disspointing at times....

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,153 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 18, 2013 01:44 |  #30

^ Wait to see some beautiful shoots from Phrasikleia 1st.

Back to OP question: many people spend hours / days or even multiple visits to the same location to take a single great shot; and there will be very difficult for someone else to make 'the same' photo during their causal visit.

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

sponsored links

10,457 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do the amazing landscapes we see exist??
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.