Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 09 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 00:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

canon 35mm f/2 IS

beachgardener
32 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 18, 2013 03:04 as a reply to  @ post 16104881 |  #91

great photos, this is looking like a great lens.

looking like close to pulling the trigger on this one :)

K-5, DA 35mm f2.4, FA 50mm f1.7, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, F 35-70 f3.5-4.5, Ricoh 50mm f2, Takumar SMC 50mm f1.4, Helios-44-2 58mm f2, Vivitar 135mm f2.8 M42, Vivitar AT-1 M42 tubes,
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
benee
551 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 03, 2013 15:56 |  #92

PRICE DROP TO $599. Now we're talking!

I Just pulled the trigger on this bad boy. I have the old 35 f2 and it has been my workhorse lens.

I was never really into this lens, but with the price drop decided it was worth my time. $300 cheaper than the sigma, much more user-friendly (full tiem manual, etc) than the old. I will sell my old 35 and 50 1.4 and the upgrade shouldn't be too expensive at all.

Will post pics as I have them.

2 x 5Dc, XE-1
Canon 35 f2 USM IS, 135L
Fuji 18-55,
Feedback:https://photography-on-the.net …p=13251402&post​count=2973

paladinca
46 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 04, 2013 09:40 as a reply to  @ benee's post |  #93

Can Mod or OP change the title to something more properly, like
Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM?

Canon 5Dc, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 24-105 IS f/4, Canon 70-200 f/4
My Flickr (external link)

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 08, 2013 01:08 |  #94

Anyone using / used this lens for astrophotography? Have been reading some reports (e.g. Lenstip (external link)) that points out some flaws with coma in the corners.

Most of my use for this lens will be landscape, but I'm also intending to use it as a night-sky lens so with this information I'm re-adding the Sigma 35 f1.4, which seems to do better with coma, back into the picture. I initially ruled it out for price and no specific need for f1.4 (mostly I'll be shooting around f8).

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

adorabledan76
211 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 09, 2013 02:04 as a reply to  @ tigerotor77w's post |  #95

My daughter Daniella at the park

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

entrefoto
970 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 15, 2013 12:42 as a reply to  @ beachgardener's post |  #96

How is corner sharpness with this lens?

6D | 35mm f/2 IS USM | 200mm f/2.8 L II | Lensbaby Spark | 430EX II | MacBook Pro | Lightroom 4 | Lowepro Flipside Sport | pelican 1514

gskowal
24 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 18, 2013 09:44 |  #97

Thinking about selling my Sigma 35mm f1.4 and getting Canon 35 f2.0 IS USM and Canon 85mm f/1.8 EF USM to have a nice little set. I know Sigma outperforms Canon's 35 f2.0 but the problem I have with the Sigma is that it's hell of a heavy lens for an everyday walk around lens. I want a 35mm lens for everyday use and Sigma is just too heavy. I've read that the vignetting is very strong on the Canon's 35 f2.0 lens even to the point of 3 stops in the corners. I shoot RAW but pulling out 3 stops seems to me to be way too much without destroying the quality of the shot. Anyone has any experience with the lens on FF? Thanks!

I'm also considering buying the older version without the IS since it's even cheaper and even smaller than the new IS version but I've heard that they are pretty loud.

I would appreciate some advice from those who have played around with both lenses. Thanks!

6D, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT
Flickr (external link)

benee
551 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 18, 2013 11:22 |  #98

I have both and will be selling the 35f2 soon. The 35 f2 is a great bargain lens, but the IS version is better for me for the following reasons:

-Slightly sharper overall, significantly sharper on the edge of the frame.
- Full time manual focus
-IS (obviously).
-Quieter focus.
-Smoother bokeh

The 35 IS is a little bulkier than the old 35 f2, but not so much that it is a problem. Both lenses feel relatively light on my 5d.

The noise on the old 35 f2 focusing is pretty prominent, but isn't a big deal unless you are using it in professional situations that require discretion.

Overall, you would probably be happy with either lens. For me and my needs(upcoming weddings, events, etc) it made sense to upgrade to the 35 f2 IS. I wouldn't have upgraded for $849, however!! The $599 price made a lot more sense to me.

If you intend on having a 35 as your "go to" lens for a long time, get the IS. If you would like a very nice, affordable 35 and may use another lens as your primary, save your $$ and get the old 35 f2, then spend the $$ you saved for another lens (maybe a zoom?).

Hope this helps!

2 x 5Dc, XE-1
Canon 35 f2 USM IS, 135L
Fuji 18-55,

gskowal
24 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 18, 2013 11:42 |  #99

benee wrote in post #16306627 (external link)
I have both and will be selling the 35f2 soon. The 35 f2 is a great bargain lens, but the IS version is better for me for the following reasons:

-Slightly sharper overall, significantly sharper on the edge of the frame.
- Full time manual focus
-IS (obviously).
-Quieter focus.
-Smoother bokeh

The 35 IS is a little bulkier than the old 35 f2, but not so much that it is a problem. Both lenses feel relatively light on my 5d.

The noise on the old 35 f2 focusing is pretty prominent, but isn't a big deal unless you are using it in professional situations that require discretion.

Overall, you would probably be happy with either lens. For me and my needs(upcoming weddings, events, etc) it made sense to upgrade to the 35 f2 IS. I wouldn't have upgraded for $849, however!! The $599 price made a lot more sense to me.

If you intend on having a 35 as your "go to" lens for a long time, get the IS. If you would like a very nice, affordable 35 and may use another lens as your primary, save your $$ and get the old 35 f2, then spend the $$ you saved for another lens (maybe a zoom?).

Hope this helps!

Thanks for a quick reply. I'm debating whether to buy the IS or not. Is the IS and slightly sharper image worth double the price? I've seen some photos in both threads and didn't really notice any noticeable difference in sharpness.

6D, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT
Flickr (external link)

ean10775
118 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 18, 2013 12:57 |  #100

I briefly had the EF 35mm f/2 and while I liked the results and the AF noise didn't bother me, what caused me to return it was that it was unable to continuously AF (a limitation of the AF mechanism I guess) which made it less that suitable for action. The fact that this lens in comparable in size, and is useful in AI Servo definitely makes it attractive to me now that the price has come down a bit. I love the idea of the f1.4 (Canon or Sigma), but not the size or weight.

My Flickr (external link)

benee
551 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 18, 2013 14:08 |  #101

gskowal wrote in post #16306687 (external link)
Thanks for a quick reply. I'm debating whether to buy the IS or not. Is the IS and slightly sharper image worth double the price? I've seen some photos in both threads and didn't really notice any noticeable difference in sharpness.

It is noticeable wide open near the edges of the frame. Stop down a bit and you won't see much difference really. It is worth the extra $$ if it id your go to lens. If not, then no.

2 x 5Dc, XE-1
Canon 35 f2 USM IS, 135L
Fuji 18-55,

adorabledan76
211 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 19, 2013 13:02 as a reply to  @ benee's post |  #102

some pics off my daughter daniella

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

adorabledan76
211 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 19, 2013 13:07 as a reply to  @ adorabledan76's post |  #103

some more mostly shot at f4 shooting up close trying to get her face all in focus is hard when she is moving around so much

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

adorabledan76
211 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 19, 2013 13:17 as a reply to  @ adorabledan76's post |  #104

having a hard time getting tack sharp photos with ai servo with my 60d using a shutter speed off 320 of second and 400 maybe i need to use the center focus point more for ai servo using this lens compared to my 35L never a problem using any focus points. But maybe i am just nit picking but still loving this lens thats the only little problem so far and anybody getting the canon lens hood be careful the is a locking button on the side off the hood to push to lossen the lens hood i found out the hard way and try to pull it losse with out pushing the button and now it doesn't lock in tight when i put it on, but still holds into place. but if you hit the lens hood it can come off now.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

artyH
Goldmember
2,108 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 20, 2013 13:17 |  #105

I have a 60D and while the new lens is slightly sharper wide open, I am not sure that sharpness justifies the higher price. I got very fine results with the old lens. The IS version has smoother out of focus backgrounds when stopped down, and faster AF. To be objective, the old lens is sharp, light and compact. The non-IS lens needs the hood for resistance to flare, but the IS version doesn't. It has excellent coatings. I also think the newer lens is a trace faster than the older lens. The old lens produced monstrous purple flare if shot into the sun without the hood.
I was not bothered by the noise of the older lens, but I have lousy hearing.
There is probably a better case to be made for the IS version on full-frame, since it is reported to be much sharper in the corners. The older lens was very sharp if stopped down a little, and corners were sharp when stopped down. I wanted the IS, and 35 mm is my most used focal length. The new lens is worth the current cost of admission...$850 seemed a bit steep to me, but $599 got me to open my wallet.

sponsored links

744,889 views & 1,958 likes for this thread
canon 35mm f/2 IS
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.