Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 15 Sep 2013 (Sunday) 23:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Microfiber Cloth

freitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 18, 2013 12:53 |  #16

Which cloth do you use?

Camera: Leica M240 - Summilux 35mm 1.4 FLE
PC: I7 3930k // EVGA GTX TITAN SC // 16GB RAM 1866 // ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME // All Watercooled // CASELABS SM8
NAS/Server: Synology DS213air // 2x 2TB WD Red NAS drives

sponsored links
Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,116 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 18, 2013 13:45 |  #17

I like Zeiss wipes. They can be had a wally world, sams, cosco.. Very reasonable. I finish it off with a wipe of the micro fiber cloth.. Never have any issues with oil from the micro fiber.

My Gear flickr (external link)

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 19, 2013 11:13 |  #18

Zeiss lens wipes are for eyeglasses, from what I understand, and not recommended for camera lenses. I read this a while back on POTN.

I have used Spudz and Nikon microfiber cloths and like them. The little stuf pocket is nice too.Larger ones for use at home vs in field are handy too. LensCoat and others work great.

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,116 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 19, 2013 13:20 |  #19

Shane W wrote in post #16309145 (external link)
Zeiss lens wipes are for eyeglasses, from what I understand, and not recommended for camera lenses. I read this a while back on POTN.

I have used Spudz and Nikon microfiber cloths and like them. The little stuf pocket is nice too.Larger ones for use at home vs in field are handy too. LensCoat and others work great.

This is what I like about the **misinformation** that happens a lot on the net..

FYI right on the box..."Safely and quickly cleans eyeglasses, sunglasses, plus other optics, electronics including camera lenses, cell phones, laptops and many others"

High tech ammonia free formula cleans effectively without leaving streaks or residue.

Zeiss is a Lens manufacture !!!

We also use them to clean our touch screen in our vehicles.

I know others who clean there sensor with it as well. They say its like taking a vail off there pictures.

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 19, 2013 14:06 |  #20

Bianchi wrote in post #16309457 (external link)
This is what I like about the **misinformation** that happens a lot on the net..

FYI right on the box..."Safely and quickly cleans eyeglasses, sunglasses, plus other optics, electronics including camera lenses, cell phones, laptops and many others"

High tech ammonia free formula cleans effectively without leaving streaks or residue.

Zeiss is a Lens manufacture !!!

We also use them to clean our touch screen in our vehicles.

I know others who clean there sensor with it as well. They say its like taking a vail off there pictures.

Yes, they are... including eyegass lenses!

See this thread... https://photography-on-the.net …471&highlight=z​eiss+wipes

I'm just sayin'....

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,908 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 19, 2013 16:13 |  #21

I posted this exchange a month ago, even Zeiss internally has conflict about suitability...
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=16164470&po​stcount=14

and this was referencing a complaint by someone on POTN in 2009 about associated streaking which was difficult to remove...
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=8747897&p​ostcount=7

Back to topic, I use PhotoClear microfiber cloth which are produced by the reknown Schneider lens company...
https://www.schneidero​ptics.com …il.aspx?CID=111​1&IID=2059 (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Sep 19, 2013 17:53 |  #22

Wilt wrote in post #16309834 (external link)
Back to topic, I use PhotoClear microfiber cloth which are produced by the reknown Schneider lens company...
https://www.schneidero​ptics.com …il.aspx?CID=111​1&IID=2059 (external link)

Perhaps, but no one (well, maybe just me) will believe you unless you get the logo'ed one :)

https://www.schneidero​ptics.com …il.aspx?CID=111​1&IID=2060 (external link)

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,908 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 19, 2013 18:26 |  #23

Bearmann wrote in post #16310045 (external link)
Perhaps, but no one (well, maybe just me) will believe you unless you get the logo'ed one :)

https://www.schneidero​ptics.com …il.aspx?CID=111​1&IID=2060 (external link)

So now I need to sell my PhotoClear cloth on POTN, and buy the one with the Schneider logo...can I still use it to clean my Rodenstock large format lenses?!

;)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

PKIDelirium
35 posts
Joined May 2013

Sep 19, 2013 21:33 |  #24

I just use Promaster microfiber cloths. Got several.

60D, Kiss Digital N/350D, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 50 1.8 II, Tamron 10-24, 75-300 III
Film: AE-1 with FD 50 1.8 S.C. and FD 135 3.5. EOS Rebel T2/300X with 28-90 III
[URL="http://flickr.co​m/donaldflint"][URL="h​ttp://flickr.com/donal​dflint"]Flickr

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,116 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 20, 2013 02:51 |  #25

Wilt did Zeiss ever send you the wipes used for camera lenses.. Your impression..

Personally I have been using the ones I mentioned above for quite awhile, and I have no issues with streaking.. I use the Singh Ray micro fiber cloth that came along with there polarizer. They give you a hefty amount of it, and I use it to finish up the clean after using the Zeiss wipes.. Never an issue.

It would be great to compare the two, but my guess is, there one and the same dispite the hype they profess. Similar to the food industry. One is a name brand food and a grocery chain has there's with there name on it, but the name brand food is making it for them with the same product in the can.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 20, 2013 03:14 |  #26

Bianchi wrote in post #16309457 (external link)

Otherwise known as 5% ispopropyl alcohol in water (external link). Not really high tech. It would work much better with a higher concentration of isopropanol - I prefer 50%.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,116 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 20, 2013 11:32 |  #27

hollis_f wrote in post #16310943 (external link)
Otherwise known as 5% ispopropyl alcohol in water (external link). Not really high tech. It would work much better with a higher concentration of isopropanol - I prefer 50%.

That's correct Hollis, I remember you posting to another thread this comment a while back...

I keep the zeiss pads in foil pack in my vechicles and in my camera bag as there handy on the go. At home we have a small mister we keep on the kitchen table, kept filled with 5% ispopropyl alcohol in water. I learned about this many years ago when my wife was having here glasses made . The optomologist recommended cleaning with it.

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 20, 2013 18:11 |  #28

I still use Kodak lens cleaning tissue, with lens cleaning fluid (like the stuff Hollis is talking about). I seem to have an unending supply of both. Been working fine for 30 years, and longer if you take into account the photographers that have used them since the 20'-30's. I don't like lens pens; IMHO, they move dirt and debris from one lens to the next, and then they fall apart.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

sponsored links

4,598 views & 0 likes for this thread
Microfiber Cloth
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.