Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Sep 2013 (Wednesday) 19:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eos M Vs other Mirrorless

freitz
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 18, 2013 19:45 |  #1

I recently purchased a 6D with a 24-105 and a 40 mm f 2.8. My wife is looking for something smaller that she can carry around with her and it would have to be light. Which had me thinking about either the SL1 or the Canon EOS M.

However I know very little about these two cameras and figured I would ask.

It would be nice to share len's but is not a must. I would like the best image quality I can get.

So my question to you guys is Canon EOS M or SL1 or another Mirrorless.

Camera: Leica M240 - Summilux 35mm 1.4 FLE
PC: I7 3930k // EVGA GTX TITAN SC // 16GB RAM 1866 // ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME // All Watercooled // CASELABS SM8
NAS/Server: Synology DS213air // 2x 2TB WD Red NAS drives

sponsored links
BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 18, 2013 20:06 |  #2

The M and the SL1 have the same sensor, IQ will be equal. They both have touchscreens and Canon's touchscreens work very well.

The SL1 is a mini Rebel, shrunken down about as much as you can get it down. Extremely lightweight and will all of the basic buttons and dials externally you need to make quick changes to settings. The LV AF is decent but nowhere near 70d or m4/3 focusing is now. The M with the update has a very good AF speed. The SL1 uses all EF/EFs lenses natively, but larger lenses on it negate the size advantage. 40mm, 50mm, 35 f2, 85 1.8, these are all lenses that feel pretty good on the SL1 because they don't add a lot of weight and size.

The M is mirrorless so the native lenses are smaller. Currently there are only 3 (22mm, 18-55, and the 11-22-which Canon doesn't sell in the US). They are smaller and lighter but obviously the pickings are slim right now. You can use an adapter for EF/EFs lenses of course but there is the benefit/drawback of doing so.

The M will be more of a P&S ease of use experience, the SL1 will offer a more traditional DSLR experience without the bulk (relative to DSLRs).

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

freitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 18, 2013 20:10 |  #3

What are some of the drawbacks to using the regular EF lenses on the EFM?

PC: I7 3930k // EVGA GTX TITAN SC // 16GB RAM 1866 // ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME // All Watercooled // CASELABS SM8

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 18, 2013 20:13 |  #4

The SL1 is expensive and isn't that much smaller than the T3 and other low-priced rebels.

I have the EOS-M and love it.

Keep in mind, it's doesn't do great for fast-moving stuff. However, if you put it in TV mode and crank the shutter speed up to 200 or so and let it go auto ISO, you'll get great shots.

It's very small and has the same size sensor as the rebels.

Mine was 299 new with the 22mm kit lens. Great deal.

Look at this great picture of a great guy. The EOS-M did that.

IMAGE: http://fairbanksfamily.smugmug.com/Other/Camera-Awesome-Photos/i-JD26VKX/0/XL/CA_08021317320115-XL.jpg

Thank you. bw!

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 18, 2013 20:18 |  #5

freitz wrote in post #16307870 (external link)
What are some of the drawbacks to using the regular EF lenses on the EFM?

Size and weight. You get an M for something compact but packs a full APS-C sized sensor. Put on a 17-55 EFS and although you still have a small body, it is not pocketable at all.
The option to use your current EF/EFs lenses is there, so it is an option at least.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

freitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 18, 2013 20:21 |  #6

Also I know with crop sensors. If I use a 40mm on a crop its x 1.6 to get 60 ish mm focal length what do the calculations work out to on the mirrorless? or is it the same APS-C sensor so the EFS lens work fine.

When using the AF on the EF/EFS lenses are they slower with the adapter?

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,511 posts
Gallery: 267 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 18, 2013 20:45 |  #7

freitz wrote in post #16307813 (external link)
I recently purchased a 6D with a 24-105 and a 40 mm f 2.8. My wife is looking for something smaller that she can carry around with her and it would have to be light. Which had me thinking about either the SL1 or the Canon EOS M.

However I know very little about these two cameras and figured I would ask.

It would be nice to share len's but is not a must. I would like the best image quality I can get.

So my question to you guys is Canon EOS M or SL1 or another Mirrorless.

I think it really depends on what kind of shooting experience you wife wants. Is she comfortable with the DLSR user experience but just wants something smaller, or does she just want a camera she can throw in her purse to grab the random landmark snap? The M is quite small when compared to any SLR system. The lenses are like toys compared to EF lenses. While the M delivers the same IQ as it's SLR cousins in a much smaller package, performance leaves a lot to be desired. If you have kids, don't expect to be using the M to get candid shots of the kiddos chasing each other around the playground; not gonna happen. Despite the firmware update, the AF is still less than impressive. If she wants a glorified P&S the M will be fine, especially if she doesn't feel a need for a viewfinder.
If she wants a more advanced camera like an SLR but wants something small enough to fit in a purse I'd recommend looking at one of the other mirrorless systems like Panasonic, Olympus, or Sony. The SL1 is fascinating as an exercise in downsizing but the lenses aren't comparably downsized to go with it. For size and performance I'd look at something like the Olympus Pen personally, and this is coming from an M owner. :o

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,511 posts
Gallery: 267 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 18, 2013 20:48 |  #8

freitz wrote in post #16307894 (external link)
Also I know with crop sensors. If I use a 40mm on a crop its x 1.6 to get 60 ish mm focal length what do the calculations work out to on the mirrorless? or is it the same APS-C sensor so the EFS lens work fine.

When using the AF on the EF/EFS lenses are they slower with the adapter?

The sensor is the same APS-C as the other Canon crop bodies so the "crop factor" is the same, but the AF is slower so the lenses are going to seem a bit slower regardless. On the upside, the notoriously slow 85L isn't any slower on the M. :lol:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

freitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 18, 2013 20:57 |  #9

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16307932 (external link)
I think it really depends on what kind of shooting experience you wife wants. Is she comfortable with the DLSR user experience but just wants something smaller, or does she just want a camera she can throw in her purse to grab the random landmark snap? The M is quite small when compared to any SLR system. The lenses are like toys compared to EF lenses. While the M delivers the same IQ as it's SLR cousins in a much smaller package, performance leaves a lot to be desired. If you have kids, don't expect to be using the M to get candid shots of the kiddos chasing each other around the playground; not gonna happen. Despite the firmware update, the AF is still less than impressive. If she wants a glorified P&S the M will be fine, especially if she doesn't feel a need for a viewfinder.
If she wants a more advanced camera like an SLR but wants something small enough to fit in a purse I'd recommend looking at one of the other mirrorless systems like Panasonic, Olympus, or Sony. The SL1 is fascinating as an exercise in downsizing but the lenses aren't comparably downsized to go with it. For size and performance I'd look at something like the Olympus Pen personally, and this is coming from an M owner. :o

I am open to any recommendations. Weather it be a Nex or Olympus pen.

Which olympus pen would you recommend?

mark2009
Goldmember
2,001 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 18, 2013 21:04 as a reply to  @ freitz's post |  #10

I have been looking into this a lot. I don't want to get my canon brothers mad at me, but the eos m price has fallen for a reason, it is at the bottom of the mirrorless food chain. The Sony nex 6 seems the way to go is you want to change lenses. I have a canon g1x, which has outstanding image quality.....I would suggest for your wife, if just for,great photos, a Sony rx100....it's my next move, I love the g1x, but want something I can put in my cargo shorts.

freitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 18, 2013 21:08 |  #11

so your saying grab the nex?

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Gallery: 2123 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 18, 2013 21:18 |  #12

Go the SL1 (100D) My son bought one and hasn't regretted it for a minute. One poster says that it isn't much smaller than other rebels but the "shrinkage" is still substanial, where weight and feel is concerned. The kit lenses are also good, and light to boot. He was initially going for the M but once he had the 100D in his hands, he changed his mind in an instant.

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus PenF | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll x 2 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro | 14 -150 | 17mm 1.8 | 9mm BCL | Panasonic 12-32 | 25mm 1.7 | Panasonic Leica 8-18 | Panasonic Leica 100-400 | Godox TT685O speedlite

mark2009
Goldmember
2,001 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 18, 2013 21:46 |  #13

freitz wrote in post #16307965 (external link)
so your saying grab the nex?

Check the reviews, you will drop some $$$$, but if you want to go mirrorless, I would go sony nex 6

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 18, 2013 22:07 |  #14

If I was going to go small, it would be the OM-D EM-1 or the Fuji X-Pro1 OMD for the AF, Fuji for the sensor, Fuji desperately needs to come up with the AF performance matching the OMD to win the battle right now, and continue to round out their lens line up. It's very close in my mind, but the OMD would probably win now. A good EVF is still going to be a requirement if I add mirrorless to the bag as I am not a fan of using the 3in screen at arms length; which rules out the Fujis with newer AF. The mirrorless are getting tempting from the standpoint of always being able to have a camera on me, and having a camera that doesn't look pro, so less hassles from others in certain situations.

I'd avoid the M for the time being, Canon has been rumored to be coming out with a newer version that may be respectable, the fist version is getting to a good price point, but it's draw backs would make it a mediocre point and shoot with very expensive glass on the front, as it's biggest draw for me is the EF lens adapter.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

freitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 18, 2013 22:14 |  #15

I was looking into it for the sole purpose of using the ef adapter.

sponsored links

10,080 views & 0 likes for this thread
Eos M Vs other Mirrorless
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.