Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Sep 2013 (Wednesday) 19:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eos M Vs other Mirrorless

freitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 18, 2013 22:17 |  #16

The Omd seems a like a completely different price point then the eos m

Camera: Leica M240 - Summilux 35mm 1.4 FLE
PC: I7 3930k // EVGA GTX TITAN SC // 16GB RAM 1866 // ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME // All Watercooled // CASELABS SM8
NAS/Server: Synology DS213air // 2x 2TB WD Red NAS drives

sponsored links
grasshopper315
112 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 18, 2013 23:24 |  #17

Price was the main reason I picked up the M over other mirrorless cameras. Performance wise it's good enough for my needs- kids at school events- non-sports, ie plays, and friends and family parties. When I'm doing sports I take my 7D.

I have the EF/EF-S lens adapter. It's awkward with large lenses, but fine with smaller ones like my 50, 85, and 28-105. I don't think I'll use my 24-105 or bigger much, but the 22 and 50 make a nice prime set for me if I want to grab a light bag.

Focusing with EF lenses are slower than my 22 M, but still very usable for the purposes mentioned above. Still beats any P&S I've used.

If you don't mind spending $600 to $1000 there are many other better mirrorless options.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 19, 2013 00:47 |  #18

freitz wrote in post #16307954 (external link)
I am open to any recommendations. Weather it be a Nex or Olympus pen.

Which olympus pen would you recommend?

Personally, I think the EP 5 would be an ideal day to day camera, but it's a bit steep. You can get the EPL-5 with 14-42mm lens for between 450 and $500 on Amazon right now. Of course if you want a viewfinder that'll cost you almost $300 extra. . . . . . . :confused:

If you wife is anything like my wife's co workers she may eschew the viewfinder for liveview anyhow. I know three woman that my wife works with who have bought either high end Fuji's or crop body SLRs and they all shoot in liveview. :rolleyes:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Sep 19, 2013 01:17 |  #19

Based on reviews this is the impression I got:
NEX > M > SL1

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

VeijoM
116 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 19, 2013 03:22 as a reply to  @ freitz's post |  #20

Usually people spending time on these kind of forums are enthusiasts that are able to forgive many shortcomings in cameras and lenses. We do understand what we want, and are able to do with the gear we have bought.

But, there are people that just want working equipment, as simple as possible. I could not, at the moment, recommend any other system than m43rds to a person who want simply working camera. The ecosystem is mature and the current camera bodies are fast and give very good IQ. Only problem might arise if the person buying a m43rds camera wants to print 3:2 pics :D, (ok, a joke)

But, and this is a big IF but. The rumors are telling about new EOS M camera bodies coming, if they have improved af of the level of 70D, then EOS M could be realistic choice. Otherwise I would never recommend EOS M to a person I do love and see often ;)

P.S. I like EOS M, it is even tempting me to use it as the only camera, but I do wait the enthusiast/pro version of EOS M to give up my other system (Samsung NX). In the end it probably would not do harm if you offer your wife the possibility to test the Samsung NX300, which is quite a good camera also. I don't have that, I have the NX10, but seems the NX300 is very mature camera unlike EOS M. And you can get very very good IQ from their pancakes (16mm, 20mm and 30mm) for oddly low prices. And their other primes are very good too.

70D. EF 70-300mm L, Tamron 90mm F2.8 VC and Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 OS HSM.

freitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 19, 2013 06:38 |  #21

Has there been any time period on the EOS M update? I am going to need something for her around December.

Camera: Leica M240 - Summilux 35mm 1.4 FLE
PC: I7 3930k // EVGA GTX TITAN SC // 16GB RAM 1866 // ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME // All Watercooled // CASELABS SM8
NAS/Server: Synology DS213air // 2x 2TB WD Red NAS drives

VeijoM
116 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 19, 2013 06:51 |  #22

freitz wrote in post #16308672 (external link)
Has there been any time period on the EOS M update? I am going to need something for her around December.

Rumors are always rumors, but what has been rumored, at least the cheaper (direct?) replacement for the existing M model should be available this year. The more enthusiast model might come later. But one cannot live in the future. Why I mentioned the rumor is because the rumors were telling the coming of the new body(ies?) is near so it might not be nice if one bought a camera now and found out next week that there is some other to consider, when there is no hurry for the purchase. And luckily all the existing cameras drop their prices while waiting even if you ended up buing an existing model :D

70D. EF 70-300mm L, Tamron 90mm F2.8 VC and Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 OS HSM.

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 19, 2013 07:50 |  #23

freitz wrote in post #16308095 (external link)
The Omd seems a like a completely different price point then the eos m

True enough, for the current market but there wasn't a budget specified (and initially no date) and size/weight/IQ seem to be the driving factors. When the M was first released it's MSRP was in the $700 range, the current market price on it tanked (which I think has largely fueled the rumors); so it may reason that a major update could put it back in the more expensive than a DSLR category. And the currently available OM-D has an MSRP of 900, which by the time you add the EF adapter to the original price point of the M, was about the same money.

The SL1 is just as good as any of the Rebels image wise (and so is the M for that matter), for my money I'd find a new in stock T3i or T4i (same sensor), just because of the button layout and memory card access being more friendly; but by that point you get close to the 6D in terms of size weight (though you could pair it with a 40mm pancake instead of a 24-105). If I wanted to use EF lenses, as the lineup stands now, that's how I'd go; but I think it really comes down to balancing size/interface/AF performance, and the latter two are more important to me, to make sacrifice in the size department; when size is more important, then in my mind, it's all about going mirrorless, and again picking that balance.

If you've got the time B&H had a speaker go through the whole lineup of mirrorless cameras not too long ago, and give the pros and cons and features of each system out there: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=-gQuALofElk (external link)

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 19, 2013 08:27 |  #24

I switched from Canon to Nex.
It has better DR, which I'd say is very noticeable, better low light performance, and is a perfect platform to use with older manual lenses because of focus peaking and 1.5 crop factor. The AF is slower than with Canon DSLR but faster than EOS M. The Sony e-mount lens selection is still somewhat limited in some areas (e.g. no fast zoom, f4 is the fastest zoom they have). A big advantage is that with a $270 adapter you can use existing Sony DSLR A-mount lenses with full DSLR like AF speed (the adapter has it's own AF). You do lose stabilization. I paid $650 for my Nex 6.

OM-D has better selection of lenses, and it has in body stabilization. It also has nicer straight out of camera jpeg colors (in my opinion). It is however a much more expensive system, and with 4/3 crop factor most legacy lenses are too long. E.g. my main lens on Nex is Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 Macro, a very fine IQ lens.On Canon crop, it would behave like 37-74 (In 1.5 crop terms). On Oly, it's like 46-93 on T3i. So the use of legacy glass on Oly is limited to tele ranges, which really limits your choices. Plus the high ISO is still behind Nex.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,429 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 19, 2013 09:23 |  #25

Have 6d and still like EOS-M. Bought it for the wife but I use it.:)

6d, 35L, f2, ISO400

IMAGE: http://www.bobbyzphotography.com/img/s8/v82/p1860295185-5.jpg

EOS-M, 22mm, f2, ISO400
IMAGE: http://www.bobbyzphotography.com/img/s8/v85/p1850432915-5.jpg

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

botw
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 19, 2013 09:39 |  #26

NEX is still a little pricey and the kit lenses aren't that great. the M is a far better value proposition. It also has a vastly superior menu interface. (Sony would be so much better if it ever got a decent menu system). I don't have any experience with the m4/3 systems, but hear great things about many of them. In the end, it all depends on what your wife wants to shoot and what trade offs she is wiling to make (costs, size, sharpness, etc.). I ended up keeping the M over the Nex bodies I had owned and tried (I prefered the 5n to the 7) just because I can use my Canon flashes and lenses more easily and the cost was right.

www.gc5photography.com (external link)

scotchtape
152 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 19, 2013 10:58 |  #27

Just chiming in here: I also bought the EOS-M based on... (drum roll please): price!

Apart from that and the IQ, I do not enjoy using this camera at all.

It's just too slow for me, focusing is not quick, taking a photo is not quick, saving to card is not quick. It's great if you don't need to move fast and have some time to work. But if you are on the street, forget about it.

Just my 2c. If you don't need the speed it's fine, but otherwise I find it annoyingly slow.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 19, 2013 14:17 |  #28

freitz wrote in post #16307813 (external link)
So my question to you guys is Canon EOS M or SL1 or another Mirrorless.

I'm very happy with my Fuji X-E1. The same resolution as my 5Dii and 1.3 stops more dynamic range. Plus, I can use all my old FD and M42 lenses with it. Nice, lightweight package and great IQ by virtue of no anti-aliasing filter because it doesn't have a conventional Bayer sensor pattern. No chance I'd buy Canon or Nikon mirrorless.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 19, 2013 14:42 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #29

The EOS-M is a fine camera for shooting stills, but due to the slower AF, the blackout between shots, it's not ideal for shooting moving subjects.

Keep in mind that mirrorless is not ideal for continous tracking but certain ones are better that others at AF.

Right now a Panasonic GX1 or an Olympus EPL-5 should be able to bought for $500 or less and both are good systems to build on.

Current Gear: Sony a6400, Sony 18-105 f/4, Sony 20mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 56mm f/1.4
HEX Brand Ranger Clamshell Backpack, Ranger Sling

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 19, 2013 14:45 |  #30

bobbyz wrote in post #16308909 (external link)
Have 6d and still like EOS-M. Bought it for the wife but I use it.:)

6d, 35L, f2, ISO400
QUOTED IMAGE

EOS-M, 22mm, f2, ISO400
QUOTED IMAGE

What SS? Looks very blown out, unless that look was intentional.

Current Gear: Sony a6400, Sony 18-105 f/4, Sony 20mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 56mm f/1.4
HEX Brand Ranger Clamshell Backpack, Ranger Sling

sponsored links

8,363 views & 0 likes for this thread
Eos M Vs other Mirrorless
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.