Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 18 Sep 2013 (Wednesday) 00:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have be asked to write for a website, need advice

Frankie_82
132 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 18, 2013 00:32 |  #1

Hi,
I am an aspiring photographer and run a smalll blog (external link) about travel and photography which I am anxious to drive more traffic to. I recently saw that the owner of one of the bigger travel blogs asked on his site for contributers. I volunteered knowing that I won't be paid but hoping that it would get me out there a little and possibly drive some traffic towards my blog.

What he wants are photo slide shows about a certain travel locations along with a short description/story about the photo. I'll have no trouble providing the content but had the following questions which I havent talked to him about yet:

1) Should I ask to be allowed to place a watermark on my photos

2) Should I insist on right click protection on the photos. he wants them to fill the screen. I don't want to upload high res photos to a site which has quite a bit of traffiic.

3) Should I insists on a link back to my website and twitter account in the post.

4) Anything else I should be asking for?

I'd be really greatful for any advice on these basic questions. It's just that I'm qute new to this.

Thanks for the help

www.thestrayphotograph​er.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 18, 2013 00:42 |  #2

Yes to 1, 2 and 3. Someone else will probably point out somehting for 4.

You're doing it for free, so in my opinion, you have the right to make some reasonable demands.

Why do you want extra traffic to your blog? Are you trying to make money at all from your photography? If so, how?

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 19, 2013 05:11 |  #3

Having recently posted about guest blogging on POTN here are my comments:

1) You should watermark all your images for anywhere you place them on the web

2) Doesnt hurt to ask

3) It is typical to ask for 2 contextual links back to your website. I would link them both back to your own website instead of having one link to your Twitter

4) You can also ask for Author's box in the post which will have a text description where you can put a short bio about yourself and your photography services

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 19, 2013 08:24 |  #4

2) Should I insist on right click protection on the photos.

I don't see the point. If they're on the screen, anyone can copy them.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 19, 2013 08:31 |  #5

PhotosGuy wrote in post #16308803 (external link)
I don't see the point. If they're on the screen, anyone can copy them.

It depends on how they display it. If you are loading the direct url of the image you are right anyone can right click and save image. If on the other hand the image is loaded full screen as a popup there is Javascript code that you can implement to prevent right click button from appearing. People will still be able to download your image by looking into your HTML code and finding the direct url of your image and loading it like that.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 19, 2013 10:25 |  #6

I wouldn't do it. Why is he asking for contributors? Because he wants to generate traffic off of the work of others.

If you've got a blog, then write for YOUR blog. Don't work for free.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

bradttu
548 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 19, 2013 10:53 |  #7

dkizzle wrote in post #16308815 (external link)
It depends on how they display it. If you are loading the direct url of the image you are right anyone can right click and save image. If on the other hand the image is loaded full screen as a popup there is Javascript code that you can implement to prevent right click button from appearing. People will still be able to download your image by looking into your HTML code and finding the direct url of your image and loading it like that.

Or by simply doing a print screen or using the Snipping Tool in Windows 7.

Facebook (external link)| Website (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/bradstillwellphotog​raphy (external link)

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 19, 2013 11:02 |  #8

Biffbradford wrote in post #16309038 (external link)
I wouldn't do it. Why is he asking for contributors? Because he wants to generate traffic off of the work of others.

If you've got a blog, then write for YOUR blog. Don't work for free.

You obviously dont understand how guest blogging works. He is providing content to a site that has a wider audience than his own website. In return the website is providing him with backlinks. He is not doing it for free. If he writes on his own blog but gets no visitors who exactly will be reading what he wrote?

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 19, 2013 11:06 |  #9

bradttu wrote in post #16309100 (external link)
Or by simply doing a print screen or using the Snipping Tool in Windows 7.

Thats the most ghetto way to steal a picture ;)

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 19, 2013 17:50 |  #10

dkizzle wrote in post #16309122 (external link)
You obviously dont understand how guest blogging works. He is providing content to a site that has a wider audience than his own website. In return the website is providing him with backlinks. He is not doing it for free. If he writes on his own blog but gets no visitors who exactly will be reading what he wrote?

So why would a reader of the BIG blog go to the small blog when there's tons of reading on the BIG blog? They will just stay true to the BIG blog and read other contributions. Meanwhile the owner of the BIG blog sits back and grins. If you are writing something that people are truly interested in, they will forward the link to others and you will get your OWN traffic. No, I don't get it.

Sounds just like the good old "We'll give you photo credit if you let us use your photos."

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 19, 2013 18:23 |  #11

Biffbradford wrote in post #16310037 (external link)
So why would a reader of the BIG blog go to the small blog when there's tons of reading on the BIG blog? They will just stay true to the BIG blog and read other contributions. Meanwhile the owner of the BIG blog sits back and grins. If you are writing something that people are truly interested in, they will forward the link to others and you will get your OWN traffic. No, I don't get it.

Sounds just like the good old "We'll give you photo credit if you let us use your photos."

Backlinks are text links within the body of text that will be written. So for example since OP said he does travel photography he can include phrases such as "Costa Rica Photography Tours" and "Panama Photography Tours" linking back to his website. While your assumption that not a lot of people would leave the BIG blog is some what correct BUT you are missing out on the fact that this kind of trade is doing for Search Engine Optimization purposes. Search engines will be able to find OP's website under links such as "Costa Rica Photography Tours" and "Panama Photography Tours". The more niche and generic backlinks you have the more likely are the chances of you showing up higher on the search engine results pages. Hence my earlier mention that this is not done all free by the writer. Both sides benefit in this exchange with BIG blog getting some FREE content and writer getting some link juice.

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 19, 2013 22:09 |  #12

dkizzle wrote in post #16309131 (external link)

It doesn't matter. They still get it.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,511 posts
Gallery: 267 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 19, 2013 22:36 |  #13

Be sure to check your work for typos before submitting it. Just sayin.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

bradttu
548 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 20, 2013 17:34 |  #14

dkizzle wrote in post #16309131 (external link)

Annnnnnnnnd? :lol: Do you think Joe 'ghetto' Blow cares? Nah. If you display images online, you have to accept the fact that someone can snag it if they want it bad enough. Well I guess you don't have to accept it, but it's reality and it will eventually happen.

How many of us here have found our images somewhere that we never intended them to be? I'll go ahead and raise my hand and say I have. It's part of the game.

Facebook (external link)| Website (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/bradstillwellphotog​raphy (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 20, 2013 18:48 |  #15

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16310594 (external link)
Be sure to check your work for typos before submitting it. Just sayin.

That was my first thought.
My second was...
Why would you be working for free?

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

sponsored links

1,970 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have be asked to write for a website, need advice
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.